7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Didn't think I would see any #8100's this afternoon but we got lucky. I was in the west loop looking for #1958 and i saw #8105 passing by on the #132 so I took some quick shots. Turns out 2 were on the #132 (#8105 and something else) and two were on the #125 (#8101 and #8106), I was like damn ain't that a Kedzie route?

cta_8105_front_on_132.thumb.PNG.e9bc7a46

cta_8105_front_side_on_132.thumb.PNG.527

cta_8105_side_on_132.thumb.PNG.00bece5b7

cta_8105_rear_quarter_on_132.thumb.PNG.7

• Upvote 3

Jackpot!!!

Oh wait.... more 6400's....

Just hope we get this state budget/Rauner the cutman problem solved or CTA will be in a real cliffhanger and it will be hard to not fall off the mountain!! Hopefully they will execute the #7900 option or Fg may never see new Novas!! The next six months will be like a game of Cliffhangers, so here we go....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF8vGnsJhEg

Edited by BusHunter

Just hope we get this state budget/Rauner the cutman problem solved or CTA will be in a real cliffhanger and it will be hard to not fall off the mountain!! Hopefully they will execute the #7900 option or Fg may never see new Novas!! The next six months will be like a game of Cliffhangers, so here we go....

I don't think the option will get exercised... with cuts still in the talks as of next year, 1,030 rebuilt buses in service and another 300 standard-size buses in service(1,330 total*), plus the artics(308 total*) for a grand total of 1,638 buses in service*, the CTA can probably do the following:

• Not exercising the option on the additional 150 Novas, with the possibility of fewer routes and runs next year if cuts are approved and implemented for 2016 and completing the retirement of the 6400-Series Novas built in 2000-2002.
  • Retiring the remaining DE40LF's as they are largely unrehabbed and were only meant for testing purposes when they were delivered in 2006-2007.

It's a way to save operating costs for the CTA next year as then there will be less buses that will need servicing on the road daily. They can then turn their attention to the rail infrastructure as they prepare to begin retirement of the 2600-Series railcars and accept a contract on the 7000-Series railcars.

*= Some buses may have been retired due to mechanical issues, fires, or accidents.

I don't think the option will get exercised... with cuts still in the talks as of next year, 1,030 rebuilt buses in service and another 300 standard-size buses in service(1,330 total*), plus the artics(308 total*) for a grand total of 1,638 buses in service*, the CTA can probably do the following:

• Not exercising the option on the additional 150 Novas, with the possibility of fewer routes and runs next year if cuts are approved and implemented for 2016 and completing the retirement of the 6400-Series Novas built in 2000-2002.
  • Retiring the remaining DE40LF's as they are largely unrehabbed and were only meant for testing purposes when they were delivered in 2006-2007.

It's a way to save operating costs for the CTA next year as then there will be less buses that will need servicing on the road daily. They can then turn their attention to the rail infrastructure as they prepare to begin retirement of the 2600-Series railcars and accept a contract on the 7000-Series railcars.

*= Some buses may have been retired due to mechanical issues, fires, or accidents.

Maybe, but maybe not. They should only be cutting 100 buses, worse case scenario. If they cut internally maybe less. That would still leave 50 or more buses left to retire. i say they execute it and if they don't Fg might get a cut of the 300 buses. As much as they are keeping the new novas away from fg, I don't think they are fans of giving them the fastest buses either. Plus this starts up the process of a possible garage closure with one more similar cut. If the bus system has problems now, how would it function with less buses? If the city doesn't work, the first person who is going to be looked at is the Mayor and I doubt he wants to lose his job.

Maybe, but maybe not. They should only be cutting 100 buses, worse case scenario. If they cut internally maybe less. That would still leave 50 or more buses left to retire. i say they execute it and if they don't Fg might get a cut of the 300 buses. As much as they are keeping the new novas away from fg, I don't think they are fans of giving them the fastest buses either. Plus this starts up the process of a possible garage closure with one more similar cut. If the bus system has problems now, how would it function with less buses? If the city doesn't work, the first person who is going to be looked at is the Mayor and I doubt he wants to lose his job.

Seems like a lot of unfounded anxiety here over not much. How many times have I said that the state budget has only marginal effect on the CTA? Also, Emanuel has much bigger fish to fry (like schools and pensions) and he is assured his job for another 3 years and 9 months. Then whomever CTU runs for mayor will have a real mess to deal with.

Seems like a lot of unfounded anxiety here over not much. How many times have I said that the state budget has only marginal effect on the CTA? Also, Emanuel has much bigger fish to fry (like schools and pensions) and he is assured his job for another 3 years and 9 months. Then whomever CTU runs for mayor will have a real mess to deal with.

So far there's nothing to worry about. But eventually CTA will probably be in a mess with the schools. It's like the calm before the storm. Rauner's definitely not in a giving mood. Next year is when the storm hits. I doubt there won't be some kind of damage. Stay tuned in Oct. we'll hear all about it. The schools were forced to lay off like 1,300 workers, what makes the CTA so special that nothing will happen to it?

Just took a ride on #8105. It was a hot ride. I just don't know about that bus' AC. The operator had his window wide open that's what he thought of it. I checked to see if it was blowing cold. It seemed to but there really wasn't much airflow. Maybe the fans are too small that pushes the AC around.  The bus seemed packed like it has less room than the nf's. Maybe it's my imagination but I think the nf's are better.

Just took a ride on #8105. It was a hot ride. I just don't know about that bus' AC. The operator had his window wide open that's what he thought of it. I checked to see if it was blowing cold. It seemed to but there really wasn't much airflow. Maybe the fans are too small that pushes the AC around.  The bus seemed packed like it has less room than the nf's. Maybe it's my imagination but I think the nf's are better.

Got it while I'm at work right now.

image.jpg

• Upvote 2

A packed bus will not cool like a empty busit does not matter what make or model the bus is.

Edited by artthouwill

A packed bus will not cool like a empty busit does not matter what make or model the bus is.

It started emptying while I was on it, but it was still hot. By comparison I rode #6451 on the #152 and that bus was like the ice special. Fantastically cold AC. People were even going ooh and ahh when they got on. :P Really!! Looks like they rebuilt the back doors on it. It has so much air pressure when the rear door trips the door opens itself. But Fg has some nice cold buses for having the oldest buses. #6728 was impressive too. Really they should send them a bus or two of these new buses maybe they can figure out why they are so warm.

Maybe the 79's have the same problem the 2200 L cars had when new - blowers were simply not up to it.

Yeah I was wondering if they might have a slightly substandard blower motor on these. Then again I wouldn't put it past the factory to not have the AC charged with freon to it's full potential. I don't know if CTA would go behind them and charge up the buses with freon after delivery or not. Maybe they still need a light maintenance or tweak to get them to a favorable level. But I don't get it the new buses should be cold, I should at least come upon one that's freezing cold. The #5000's can get really cold, the new Pace buses can get really cold, so what's the problem here.

Yeah I was wondering if they might have a slightly substandard blower motor on these. Then again I wouldn't put it past the factory to not have the AC charged with freon to it's full potential. I don't know if CTA would go behind them and charge up the buses with freon after delivery or not. Maybe they still need a light maintenance or tweak to get them to a favorable level. But I don't get it the new buses should be cold, I should at least come upon one that's freezing cold. The #5000's can get really cold, the new Pace buses can get really cold, so what's the problem here.

Freon hasn't been used in automotive air conditioning for 20 years. I also doubt that a bus would pass inspection if the R134 were not filled to specifications.

We pay you in Monopoly Money to photograph the CTA New Flyers and Novas, not the PACE Buses!!! Vinnie Mac said no firing, but to make sure you get this.... :P

Yes, but how can you pass up the FutBol bus. How comes it doesn't say Goal!! on there is beyond me!! It has the bicycle kick, one of the coolest kicks in Futbol.

So i don't get no extra credit huh?

Yes, but how can you pass up the FutBol bus. How comes it doesn't say Goal!! on there is beyond me!! It has the bicycle kick, one of the coolest kicks in Futbol.

So i don't get no extra credit huh?

Vince said you get a credit, but the former "stunning" message still stands.... :P