7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

20 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

That's because #8090 is out of service for a whopping $100,000 restoration repairs.

No I think his question is why is it showing as being on the active in service roster assigned to Chicago garage when it's a 74th bus that was in a wreck and now OOS waiting for those repairs that you just mentioned?

51 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Maybe some warranty work on #7900? It is the prototype on an active contract. Maybe something needs updating.

Since he asked for an idea. maybe they have to change the decals. Heck if I know.

I'm somewhat surprised that "we will replace the prototype" isn't in play here, like 1000 and the other 1000.*

___

*Larry:  "This is my brother Darrell and my other brother Darrell."

• Upvote 2

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:59 PM, Mr.cta85 said:

8192 just made a visit to 103rd bout 45mins ago along with a NF. No idea why but it had a 5992 in the run box so maybe the mechanics probably made a pit stop on their way back to south shop or perhaps to chicago garage.

These are probably "subtle hints" where 8200-8324 are going to end up..... 103rd. If there was a time for the next garage to get a bus just to examine, now would be that time. A Instruction Bus would be the next step when they're about down to less than a month from their new fleet.

19 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Maybe some warranty work on #7900? It is the prototype on an active contract. Maybe something needs updating.

I don't understand why #8090 is at chicago. Training bus of some kind while it waits for repairs? 

Don't know what's up with 7900. Maybe it's being kept aside as a comparison bus for the Prevost people when new arrivals come in so they can adjust it to it's specifications? As far as 8090(the $100,000 repair job) being at Chicago rather than South Shops, Cummins N Power or Bus & Truck, I have no clue.

2 hours ago, sw4400 said:

These are probably "subtle hints" where 8200-8324 are going to end up..... 103rd. If there was a time for the next garage to get a bus just to examine, now would be that time. A Instruction Bus would be the next step when they're about down to less than a month from their new fleet.

If that's the case, why did the bus have run number 5992?  Your hypothesis is totally unsubstantiated. How about we let 8200-8324 actually get here and find out then where they're going before we get too far in making wild claims. 103rd goes against the pattern that CTA has already set for assigning the other 300 of this series, that being they've gotten assigned to garages that housed 6400s. Yes 77th had purged its 6400s before the first deliveries of 7900s had begun but it still had 6400s shortly before that point and that's where the first 7900s went. 74th and Chicago also had 6400s previously, so that's where the next two batches went. So despite how FG has gotten the shaft for two years housing only 6400s up until two weeks ago, 103rd getting the next 7900s goes completely against the pattern CTA has locked in with the base order of 300 in assigning the 7900 series as a whole up to this point.

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 4:23 PM, BusHunter said:

I don't understand why #8090 is at chicago. Training bus of some kind while it waits for repairs? 

8090 still belongs to 74th. Maybe hidden away at Chicago?? But the funny part is that it should be a shop hold, and isn't.

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

If that's the case, why did the bus have run number 5992?  Your hypothesis is totally unsubstantiated. How about we let 8200-8324 actually get here and find out then where they're going before we get too far in making wild claims. 103rd goes against the pattern that CTA has already set for assigning the other 300 of this series, that being they've gotten assigned to garages that housed 6400s. Yes 77th had purged its 6400s before the first deliveries of 7900s had begun but it still had 6400s shortly before that point and that's where the first 7900s went. 74th and Chicago also had 6400s previously, so that's where the next two batches went. So despite how FG has gotten the shaft for two years housing only 6400s up until two weeks ago, 103rd getting the next 7900s goes completely against the pattern CTA has locked in with the base order of 300 in assigning the 7900 series as a whole up to this point.

And besides that.... Ive seen a 7900 operating as a training bus on the 95E's route back in 2014. It COULD be that they figure 103rd borrows a lot from 77th so they wanted more versatility as far as loaning buses.... or maybe even wanting ALL drivers from every garage to have a feel for every bus type and i say that cause 4300 is assigned as a training bus at Chicago garage and we all know they lost 4300's for 4000's picks ago

16 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

And besides that.... Ive seen a 7900 operating as a training bus on the 95E's route back in 2014. It COULD be that they figure 103rd borrows a lot from 77th so they wanted more versatility as far as loaning buses.... or maybe even wanting ALL drivers from every garage to have a feel for every bus type and i say that cause 4300 is assigned as a training bus at Chicago garage and we all know they lost 4300's for 4000's picks ago

That lines up far more than assuming 103rd is getting the next 7900s, when it has no Novas whatsoever.

11 minutes ago, jajuan said:

That lines up far more than assuming 103rd is getting the next 7900s, when it has no Novas whatsoever.

Yeah cause when daylight savings time/warm weather hits 103rd always seems to need to borrow around this time and did grab novas some of those times and run on any route needed including lake shore

3 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

8090 still belongs to 74th. Maybe hidden away at Chicago?? But the funny part is that it should be a shop hold, and isn't.

Might be an error in the roster. Just because someone puts it on paper doesn't make it true. It might very well be off property or at south shops.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Some info has surfaced regarding 8090. It hit a building on 63rd while working a nightcar. Severe front end damage. More if I can find out.

If there's frame damage in the front end, that'll probably spell the end of #8090(only way to know this is if CTA Maintenance personnel took the remains of the front end off the bus and physically looked at the front frame for signs of breaking, bends and/or twisting in the metal). If the bus ends up at South Shops in the "Scrap" line, you'll have your answer. I'm sure #4323 is sitting down there too with frame damage from both when the bus was hit by the dump truck and when CFD had to cut the Bus Operator from the driver's area. $100,000 is a lot for severe front end damage. Anyone remember the cost of #1482's repairs? I don't think it was $100,000, was it? Doing a general search says frame damage to a vehicle can never be fully repaired and can make the vehicle extremely dangerous.

7 hours ago, sw4400 said:

If there's frame damage in the front end, that'll probably spell the end of #8090

I'm sure that's why the CT Board approved $107,571.68 to fix it.*

I also assume that the building ran out into the middle of 63rd St.:O

______

*Which is how this topic started: "Complete Restoration/Collision Damage Repair for One Nova Series 7900 Bus, Model LFS (Bus #8090), Build Number L848-41 as Required, FOB Destination."

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, sw4400 said:

If there's frame damage in the front end, that'll probably spell the end of #8090(only way to know this is if CTA Maintenance personnel took the remains of the front end off the bus and physically looked at the front frame for signs of breaking, bends and/or twisting in the metal). If the bus ends up at South Shops in the "Scrap" line, you'll have your answer. I'm sure #4323 is sitting down there too with frame damage from both when the bus was hit by the dump truck and when CFD had to cut the Bus Operator from the driver's area. $100,000 is a lot for severe front end damage. Anyone remember the cost of #1482's repairs? I don't think it was $100,000, was it? Doing a general search says frame damage to a vehicle can never be fully repaired and can make the vehicle extremely dangerous.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

______

*Which is how this topic started: "Complete Restoration/Collision Damage Repair for One Nova Series 7900 Bus, Model LFS (Bus #8090), Build Number L848-41 as Required, FOB Destination."

There is also the point that 1148 had severe front end damage from hitting the support beam of the train  tracks crossing at what looked like Western/Blue Island/26th or Western/Archer while still assigned to 74th and it managed to come back a short time before last year's big NF swapocalypse. I believe sw it was you who thought it might be the end of that bus too. And remember 4327? That one is back too after its front end damage. Neither one of those appear to be a danger after over a year for both being back after severe damage.

12 hours ago, Busjack said:

______

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. If you notice #4323 doesn't have a contract out on it. I'm sure CTA has qualified people that can examine a bus and tell it's worthiness. There's always the body shop guy if they don't have one.

7 hours ago, Busjack said:

Again, unless the building ran out into the street, there isn't a question of liability as there is for 4323.

Yeah it's taking so long for 4323 because of the question of whether the dumping company is liable or CTA which of course means some kind of litigation which further slows down progress of how fast the bus gets fixed.