7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Just now, garmon757 said:

I won't be able too because it's a possibly that it'll be in Plattsburgh for certain repairs. 

Unlikely, since the contract isn't even up for approval until Wednesday. Also, when let, the bus will probably go to some local service center.

Just now, garmon757 said:

I won't be able too because it's a possibly that it'll be in Plattsburgh for certain repairs. 

So you haven't seen it there at all? Which makes me wonder how bad was this accident $107K is like 1/4 of the cost of the bus. Probably bus and truck has it.

2 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Unlikely, since the contract isn't even up for approval until Wednesday. Also, when let, the bus will probably go to some local service center.

That can also be a possibility but thanks for the heads up for the approval date.

1 minute ago, BusHunter said:

So you haven't seen it there at all? Which makes me wonder how bad was this accident $107K is like 1/4 of the cost of the bus. Probably bus and truck has it.

I've looked front and back but no sight of it. Man finding it is like trying to win at least $10,000 playing Plinko! :P

44 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

I've looked front and back but no sight of it. Man finding it is like trying to win at least $10,000 playing Plinko! 

Although wrecks are usually near S. Shops, it might be inside, or still inside 74th.

Only thing I knew was the agenda item. Anyone know about a news story? Looks like it takes a death to make the news.

22 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Older Novas were said to have no fuel gauge, but they have a small gauge in about the same spot. I think buses need to have a fuel gauge somewhere on them, even in the engine compartment.... otherwise you'll need a dipstick to check after you burn up the starter cranking the crap out of a "dead" bus that doesn't turn over after dying suddenly.

TA's can't be guessing if their vehicles are out of fuel, and if Jake fueled the bus up at 4:00a, forgot to log it in the computer or on paper(people do make mistakes, that's why erasers are on pencils), and the bus he fueled dies on a route at 3:25p, how will they know it's fuel-related without some sort of gauge in this instance?

I remember reading a story about a TMC that broke down on Lincoln just north of Irving Park once. The driver tried again and again to restart the bus, but the bus wouldn't start again. The driver went to call the garage to inform them and when he came back(author's word's), he looked at the gas gauge.... it was on "E".

No, I remember someone mentioning transit buses in general having no fuel gauges. There was no distinct reference to a specific model.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:09 AM, Busjack said:

Looks like there is already one wreck. On the agenda for COMMITTEE ON FINANCE, AUDIT AND BUDGET, Wednesday, March 9, 2016 is:

C15OP101755775
Complete Restoration/Collision Damage Repair for One Nova Series 7900 Bus, Model LFS (Bus #8090), Build Number L848-41 as Required, FOB Destination.
$107, 571.68

Wonder when this happened and how bad the accident is.... must be a really bad one if it's labeled "Complete Restoration/Collision Damage Repair to the tune of $107,571.68. Would be nice to see a picture of it, but it's either at Bus & Truck, as alluded to, or maybe Cummins N Power, if they do heavy maintenance repairs too. I can't see the bus shipped back to Plattsburgh for repairs. In that event, Nova/Prevost could ship parts via UPS, Fed-Ex or another Courier Delivery Service to CTA South Shops or the garage that has #8090.

BTW: Roster has been updated to show #8090 is OOS

53 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

WLS has a pdf showing every accident CTA has had from Jan '13 to April '15 (including bus numbers) and #8090 is not on there as far as I can see. Damn I wish I knew how to find this info, this is interesting.

092115-wls-iteam-bus-crashes-doc.pdf

Would be interesting to find out what their source is, but it's 11 months short.

4 hours ago, ajm522 said:

8192 was still sidelined at SS today. 

8192 just made a visit to 103rd bout 45mins ago along with a NF. No idea why but it had a 5992 in the run box so maybe the mechanics probably made a pit stop on their way back to south shop or perhaps to chicago garage.

10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

#8194 is on the #74 this morning, so chicago must have got all the buses from south shops, except maybe #8195. We'll probably see #8192 shortly. Chicago probably has it, it just hasn't been put in service yet. Wonder where's #8187?

Here's some shots of today. It's crazy 8's on North Ave!! :P

#8188:

56e4d489e61df_cta8188fronton72.thumb.PNG

56e4d4b4071d1_cta8188rearon72.thumb.PNG.

#8192:

56e4d4dbd718a_cta8192rearon54.thumb.PNG.

56e4d4fd30d05_cta8192rearcloseup.thumb.P

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Where? I didn't see it. It's not at south shops. I was all set to take a picture of #8194 yesterday as it debuted on the #74 but it never left the east end.

I seriously thought you've mentioned it but if that's not the case then no big deal. Hopefully the rest be here this week.

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

#8187 is out on the #57, so all buses are in service now up to #8194. 5 more buses and we get our big surprise!!

So I got dragged out in the rain to film this one. Do I even get hazard pay? :P They don't look bad. I think these later sunsets are just what the doctor ordered.

#8187:

56e621e08ca30_cta8187fronton73.thumb.PNG

56e621b5a5082_cta8187rearon73.thumb.PNG.

• Upvote 2

A strange thing observed on CTA's internal computer system today. 8090 is shows as "active" at Chicago Av. However... 7900 is showing as off the active roster - long term hold. Any ideas???

Also, 8199 still not in the computer as of 3/14, with up to 8194 shown active at Chicago and 8195-8198 at S Shops.

13 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

A strange thing observed on CTA's internal computer system today. 8090 is shows as "active" at Chicago Av. However... 7900 is showing as off the active roster - long term hold. Any ideas???

That's because #8090 is out of service for a whopping $100,000 restoration repairs.