7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

So it looks like CTA is sticking with the 100 2nd gen Novas per garage pattern they established with 77th's and 74th's assignments. As for FG, whether it's NFs again or giving them 8200 and above, we know they're getting something different than 6400s at some point. It's just a matter of which model. 

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:35 PM, sw4400 said:

Well, I would think that simple parts for the Novas might be at all garages. If, for example, a Nova has a mechanical failure and is closer to say, North Park than Forest Glen, they can do a short tow to North Park and if it's something minor, repair the defective part there rather than do a longer tow back to Forest Glen. Likewise, Forest Glen probably still has parts for the D40LF's, maybe even the DE40LF's. The only exception would be the artics and the XE40's, which would only be at artic-assigned garages and Kedzie and South Shops(for the XE40's).

A road failure is always towed back to its home garage. Only exception is a major wreck, which MIGHT go direct to S Shops (but even then, usually back to home garage first).

On February 20, 2016 at 10:33 PM, jajuan said:

So it looks like CTA is sticking with the 100 2nd gen Novas per garage pattern they established with 77th's and 74th's assignments. As for FG, whether it's NFs again or giving them 8200 and above, we know they're getting something different than 6400s at some point. It's just a matter of which model. 

All I know is, if 103rd get the 8200 and end up giving their new flyers over to FG im going to be extremely pissed >:(. One of the main reasons for me leaving 103rd was because I want to drive those new novas if 103rd got a few of them at 1st, I definitely wouldve stayed put :D. Hopefully FG get the full 125 but I have an idea of what might happen. I think they might spilt the remaining 125 between 74, 77th, and Chicago and in exchange to send New Flyers between those 3 garages over to the Glen. 

2 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

All I know is, if 103rd get the 8200 and end up giving their new flyers over to FG im going to be extremely pissed >:(. One of the main reasons for me leaving 103rd was because I want to drive those new novas if 103rd got a few of them at 1st, I definitely wouldve stayed put :D. Hopefully FG get the full 125 but I have an idea of what might happen. I think they might spilt the remaining 125 between 74, 77th, and Chicago and in exchange to send New Flyers between those 3 garages over to the Glen. 

CTA has never done anything like that. The real question is how overstocked C is. The Auto Show is over (although not according to some Hyundai ads).

38 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Probably if they were going to do that they would just give them the 133 initially. If 74th and the others need additional buses they can depend on the 22 bus pool that the #8178's will displace. CTA is consolidation happy so it does make sense to send FG the #8200's, if they are not running a full fleet of #6400's anymore. I think we'll see just that in 2019 when the next buses show up. They'll most likely be NF's and go to the NF garages, one garage will lose it's #7900's, maybe 2 if they can spare it and those with become all NF's again. (probably 77th's will go to Fg and possibly chicago's may go to 74th.) If 2 garages remained all Nova there would have to be a balance between north and south side and this is what seems to make sense.

10 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

They'll most likely be NF's and go to the NF garages

Besides making unfounded assumptions about who the prevailing bidder would be 2 or 3 years from now, you seem to  be assuming that a 2019 model of a NF bus is the same as a 2006 model, even though NF has gone through two generations since then (LFR and X).

Just now, Busjack said:

Besides making unfounded assumptions about who the prevailing bidder would be 2 or 3 years from now, you seem to  be assuming that a 2019 model of a NF bus is the same as a 2006 model, even though NF has gone through two generations since then (LFR and X).

As the 2006 model no longer exists, no you can't buy that bus, (just used) but that is a non issue as they will all be replaced. LFR by then may in the twilight of it's life, if it exists at all, but the Xcelsior is the newest model and should still be around in 2019 although there may be an even newer model by then. But CTA does usually buy the older models.  Again I ask who can provide 1000 buses in 3 years? Only NF AFAIK. Now if there is a wildcard it would be that they would buy Proterra electric buses, but they seem to be west coast buses and not suitable for here, plus with consolidation why would they be interested in that when NF makes the same thing and might give them a deal if they keep the whole order within the company, plus the #700 and #701 will be oddballs, so what does it sound like is going to happen?

29 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Again I ask who can provide 1000 buses in 3 years? Only NF AFAIK. Now if there is a wildcard it would be that they would buy Proterra electric buses, but they seem to be west coast buses and not suitable for here, plus with consolidation why would they be interested in that when NF makes the same thing and might give them a deal if they keep the whole order within the company, plus the #700 and #701 will be oddballs, so what does it sound like is going to happen?

Somehow you think CTA can bypass federally and state mandated bidding processes and go to Muller's Highland Park New Flyer and put in an order for 1000 buses. CTA isn't even allowed to buy fleet automobiles without meeting bidding and disadvantaged business requirements,

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Again who can deliver on such bids? Even though it hasn't happened yet, who else can come up with the goods? Has the competition ever had a 1000 plus bus order?

Somebody is supplying NY MTA, which has 4500 buses, but web indications are that they buy test lots of 90 first, and then bid larger quantities. While it appears that it is splitting orders between NF and Nova because of capacity concerns, Nova would not have built in Plattsburgh if it did not have MTA business, and certainly built a Prevost line there only because of MTA. Remember when Pace solicited bids for OTRs, we figured that only MCI was qualified.

Also, note my post that NF says contracts will be limited to 3 years (NF release).

5 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

#8187 #8189 and #8190 have arrived this morning.

Yeah I was going to say someone needs to check out south shops, because #8181 is out on the #73 today, #8183 is out on the #70 and #8184 is out on the #72, so all buses are now in service up to #8186. No way is south shops not going to keep a new bus if all the others went into service unless it's the last bus in a batch order like #8099 or #8199. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah I was going to say someone needs to check out south shops, because #8181 is out on the #73 today, #8183 is out on the #70 and #8184 is out on the #72, so all buses are now in service up to #8186. No way is south shops not going to keep a new bus if all the others went into service unless it's the last bus in a batch order like #8099 or #8199. 

Yeah, I drove to the shop around 7 this morning and it was mad empty (no new Novas). So I'm guessing that those three came within an hour or two after I left. 

Not much remaining with the 8100 block of Novas. 8187-8199(13 buses) total to go. I would imagine a training bus will soon be dispatched to whatever garage is getting 8200-8324 so there is a seamless transition of buses when those blocks begin to roll in(at the rate of delivery, I'd pinpoint the first of the 8200's to at the very least be on CTA property, if not in service, by mid to late April). All garages getting new equipment seem to get training buses.... I remember North Park getting a training bus or two ahead of their New Flyer D40LF deliveries in 2007, even with prior experience with the 5800-Series New Flyer D40LF's (post about it is here). We're close enough that a training bus may pop up at the next garage in mid-March so all operators and garage mechanics have a chance to examine and "test drive" a Nova(I imagine a CTA Bus Garage has on average 40-50 Bus Operators and maybe 10-20 mechanics.....maybe that's exaggerative, or maybe less than the amount of Bus Operator/mechanic staff at a garage, only someone with CTA Bus experience will know).

Sorry, garmon.... I know you really don't want this discussed.....but it's close to the time a training bus should show up at the next garage, much like the 5000's on the soon-to-receive lines while they were being delivered. We're nearing the home stretch for the Novas with the last 125 starting to roll in here in the next couple of months, and I'm eager to see if the rumors of FG hold true or will they go to 103rd, split with 74th, Chicago and 77th, or maybe a big curveball(baseball reference) and Kedzie gets them. Stay tuned..... same CTA time..... same CTA channel.....

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Not much remaining with the 8100 block of Novas. 8187-8199(13 buses) total to go. I would imagine a training bus will soon be dispatched to whatever garage is getting 8200-8324 so there is a seamless transition of buses when those blocks begin to roll in(at the rate of delivery, I'd pinpoint the first of the 8200's to at the very least be on CTA property, if not in service, by mid to late April). All garages getting new equipment seem to get training buses.... I remember North Park getting a training bus or two ahead of their New Flyer D40LF deliveries in 2007, even with prior experience with the 5800-Series New Flyer D40LF's (post about it is here). We're close enough that a training bus may pop up at the next garage in mid-March so all operators and garage mechanics have a chance to examine and "test drive" a Nova(I imagine a CTA Bus Garage has on average 40-50 Bus Operators and maybe 10-20 mechanics.....maybe that's exaggerative, or maybe less than the amount of Bus Operator/mechanic staff at a garage, only someone with CTA Bus experience will know).

Sorry, garmon.... I know you really don't want this discussed.....but it's close to the time a training bus should show up at the next garage, much like the 5000's on the soon-to-receive lines while they were being delivered. We're nearing the home stretch for the Novas with the last 125 starting to roll in here in the next couple of months, and I'm eager to see if the rumors of FG hold true or will they go to 103rd, split with 74th, Chicago and 77th, or maybe a big curveball(baseball reference) and Kedzie gets them. Stay tuned..... same CTA time..... same CTA channel.....

Add 3 to 400 more to that average of operators and you're Right?? lol 74th this pick Will have over 500 operators this spring pick ??