7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

I guess 7 degrees is warm enough!! Lol!! Now will they continue to send them to chicago or fg? I'm surprised they are here so soon. Andre said they weren't building any so far. Must have been building in stealth mode. No doubt then all buses are built up to #8200 and up to #8182 is probably delivered or soon will be 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

That was several months ago I said no more were on the production schedule. These things can change very quickly.

Well, 8178-8199 is a small order for Nova to complete(22 buses). There will probably be a short break after they are all delivered, then 8200-8324 will start to roll in sometime around May or June-ish to either Forest Glen or 103rd(I still say there's a possibility there since they did have a Training Bus there with operators boarding it). If it was bus maneuvers at 103rd, why use other garage equipment with multiple operators checking the bus out? That's usually a sign of getting people familiar with equipment, and if those 5-6 operators were all from 103rd, then that's probably their next stop.

11 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

If it was bus maneuvers at 103rd, why use other garage equipment with multiple operators checking the bus out?

Considering that it was systemwide training and there are system picks, trainees have to be trained to run any equipment. There isn't room for a training track at most garages; Mr.CTA85 pointed out that the only places it is held are 77th and 103rd.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

Well, 8178-8199 is a small order for Nova to complete(22 buses). There will probably be a short break after they are all delivered, then 8200-8324 will start to roll in sometime around May or June-ish to either Forest Glen or 103rd(I still say there's a possibility there since they did have a Training Bus there with operators boarding it). If it was bus maneuvers at 103rd, why use other garage equipment with multiple operators checking the bus out? That's usually a sign of getting people familiar with equipment, and if those 5-6 operators were all from 103rd, then that's probably their next stop.

I never said those operators were from 103rd. They were most likely new part timers in training. When I 1st started, of course I ended up going to 103rd but we did our maneuvers at 77th. There were 3 buses in total 2 were flyers and one was a 6400 nova, so I said that to say this, the 8024 was just another training bus and not an introduction to the 103rd garage bus fleet. I would be great if that were the case but im sure it wasnt (Cause if that wer true I wouldnt leave for the system pick)?. Its already been confirmed that 8200-8324 will go to FG. Thats in house info right there lol. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Its already been confirmed that 8200-8324 will go to FG. Thats in house info right there lol. 

Well come on down!!  xD (or I should say up) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD6Dwqeru7w

I'm so sick of the #6400's I could hurl. If the new buses ever do get to FG I might have to flip out like those people coming down The Price Is Right runway!!

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Considering that it was systemwide training and there are system picks, trainees have to be trained to run any equipment. There isn't room for a training track at most garages; Mr.CTA85 pointed out that the only places it is held are 77th and 103rd.

Thats not necessarily true, we dont have system wide training ?? cause if That's the case once the 7900's 1st came in they wouldve sent a few buses to each garage to train us on the new equipment. That really only depends on which garage you work out of like for instance before chicago garage got those artics the operators over there had to get trained 1st before they could operate them in service. When I get over to 77th for the system pick, for me and any other operator who never drove the new novas will have to get trained of course lol. But I think that's a great idea to do though cause I think we all should be familiar with the whole bus fleet instead of what's at that particular garage. Chicago is pretty much the only garage that have the artic, flyer and novas in one place.

58 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

It's seems crazy though and doesn't make sense that they would deconstruction the assembly line for 22 buses. If I was a conspiracy theorist here, I would say somehow those buses had failed inspection and they were getting repaired on Nova buses time, and the reason they weren't built lately was because they were already built but no one will cop to that notion. Of course it could have been a supply problem too. What seems nutty to me is now they will deconstruct the line to build the rest unless they are building the #8200's now and need 3-4 months to build them which makes sense. Nova bus will not deliver an uncompleted batch, so they would have to get the 125 built or at least 50 between now and #8200's delivery. 

28 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Thats not necessarily true, we dont have system wide training ?? cause if That's the case once the 7900's 1st came in they wouldve sent a few buses to each garage to train us on the new equipment.

I was referring to the training of trainees, as you explained. Of course, they will have to send some 7900 series to FG as instruction buses before starting service there.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

It's seems crazy though and doesn't make sense that they would deconstruction the assembly line for 22 buses. If I was a conspiracy theorist here,

17 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

That was several months ago I said no more were on the production schedule. These things can change very quickly.

No things don't change that "quickly." There is a production scheduling system. Obviously, neither of you has access to it.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah but you have to admit these 22 buses are unusual. We'll probably never now why though.

Not necessarily when it's already been established that NOVA also has orders from other TAs that are also expecting to get their buses on a specific schedule set by contract just like CTA is in regards to the 7900 series. Who's to say they weren't building another TA's buses at the same time they were doing 8178-99?

12 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Not necessarily when it's already been established that NOVA also has orders from other TAs that are also expecting to get their buses on a specific schedule set by contract just like CTA is in regards to the 7900 series. Who's to say they weren't building another TA's buses at the same time they were doing 8178-99?

They can't on the same line or they would have the same specs (seats, interior walls, flooring or any other CTA anomaly). They seem to build 3 or 4 bus orders at a time, so maybe they have 3 or 4 lines, but maybe half of those are 60 foot lines.

It just seems odd, they would go out of their way to build these 22 buses. Now if they were doing an order that was small like Rockford, that can't be avoided. They must be building the #8200's along with these, that's what I surmise is going on. They just are not going to deliver on those until 50 are done, maybe 100. 

10 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

They just are not going to deliver on those until 50 are done, maybe 100. 

As indicated the last time around, they will send them when they want to be paid. The budget indicates payments into 2017.

4 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Well, #8179 and #8182 are currently at the shop.

Somebody is going to have to get out there with the Meguiars and a scrub brush.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Well, #8179 and #8182 are currently at the shop. I thought there were more here!

image.jpeg

That sure is one dirty bus!! They must have been driving it through snow storms or some heavily salted roads. Someone should just take that through the bus wash, it takes 5 minutes. It looks bad being a new bus looking that way.

There may be more inside the building or at bus and truck, if not they'll be here soon. More will probably be coming this weekend. Maybe they can get these into service by mid February. Being it's such a small amount of buses CTA may wait until all 22 are at south shops to put them in service, but that depends on whether they have the room.

11 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Being it's such a small amount of buses CTA may wait until all 22 are at south shops to put them in service,

Why do you assume that everyone is stockpiling inventory for the sake of doing so? More than likely these go out when they get fare boxes, Clever Devices, and programming.

30 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

That sure is one dirty bus!! They must have been driving it through snow storms or some heavily salted roads. Someone should just take that through the bus wash, it takes 5 minutes. It looks bad being a new bus looking that way.

There may be more inside the building or at bus and truck, if not they'll be here soon. More will probably be coming this weekend. Maybe they can get these into service by mid February. Being it's such a small amount of buses CTA may wait until all 22 are at south shops to put them in service, but that depends on whether they have the room.

That may be a possibility but I can't see them being in service in mid-Feb (depending on the delivery). My focus about them now is 8200s deliveries tagging along with the remaining 8100s because it seems like the deliveries are unpredictable as I speak.