7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Speaking of 2017, the 425 #7900's are slated for completion in spring 2017. So it's going to take them a year to deliver the last 125 buses? That's like 2 a week. Where are they building them, in someone's garage.

I guess you are getting that from page 31 of the budget. I'm not sure how authoritative that is in the operating rather than capital budget, especially since the executive summary (page 13) said that the order was "In August of 2015," and "Once all the buses are received next year, nearly 85 percent of CTA’s bus fleet will be new or overhauled." Obviously, at least an ambiguity.

Maybe your view is supported by that the actual 2016 line item is $42,496,000, which would be only 84 buses, but that probably depends on the contractual payment schedule.

Speaking of 2017, the 425 #7900's are slated for completion in spring 2017. So it's going to take them a year to deliver the last 125 buses? That's like 2 a week. Where are they building them, in someone's garage.

Well it might have to do with the fact that maybe Nova has a production schedule set up until summer with other TA's. Another thought is CTA exercised the option, but has to wait for money to clear to forward to Nova(I mean you can't write rubber checks, can you?). Also, I don't know if Nova would be interested in IOU's from Bruce Rauner.

Also, when 8200-8324 start to show up, observe them/listen to the engine sounds closely. The last option of buses CTA usually procures is a bit different than the first(not always true, but you had Allison Transmissions in 1930-2029, Cummins C8.3 engines in 6305-6329, Cummins L-10 engines in 5745-5765, Cummins C8.3 engines in 5862-5864, later returned to Detroit Series-50).

Well it might have to do with the fact that maybe Nova has a production schedule set up until summer with other TA's. Another thought is CTA exercised the option, but has to wait for money to clear to forward to Nova(I mean you can't write rubber checks, can you?). Also, I don't know if Nova would be interested in IOU's from Bruce Rauner.

Also, when 8200-8324 start to show up, observe them/listen to the engine sounds closely. The last option of buses CTA usually procures is a bit different than the first(not always true, but you had Allison Transmissions in 1930-2029, Cummins C8.3 engines in 6305-6329, Cummins L-10 engines in 5745-5765, Cummins C8.3 engines in 5862-5864, later returned to Detroit Series-50).

The issue is that Nova advertises that it cooperated with Cummins on the 2014 EPA compliant engine, so don't expect anything different now.

DD does not make the 50 for transit buses.

The issue is that Nova advertises that it cooperated with Cummins on the 2014 EPA compliant engine, so don't expect anything different now.

DD does not make the 50 for transit buses.

I'm just saying engine change is a possibility, not necessarily the case here. But CTA did have something changed towards the tail end of several of their bus orders over the past few placed. It could be a different transmission(like 1000-1929 were ZF and 1930-2029 were Allison), or maybe a new style lighting inside the bus or even some new LED signs for the exterior. I know Detroit Diesel does not make the Series-50 anymore for transit buses(they did during the times of the Flxible "E" and New Flyer D40LF 5800-series and the NABI 7500-series).

Maybe 8200-8324 will have no differences, but if the CTA wanted to change something in the order, this is the option to see it done in.

#8177 is on the #54 today. I was going to say if they do plan to deliver the 22 #8100's left later in the spring, they'll most likely go right into the manufacture and delivery of the #8200's. Now if the #8200's were going to Fg, wouldn't it make sense then to maybe send Fg a #8100 to train with because once deliveries start back it could be happening within weeks and it would give operators there a chance to see the bus and be comfortable with it over the winter. So I guess #8177 didn't debut on the #77. :P

Edited by BusHunter
  • Upvote 2

#8177 is on the #54 today. I was going to say if they do plan to deliver the 22 #8100's left later in the spring, they'll most likely go right into the manufacture and delivery of the #8200's. Now if the #8200's were going to Fg, wouldn't it make sense then to maybe send Fg a #8100 to train with because once deliveries start back it could be happening within weeks and it would give operators there a chance to see the bus and be comfortable with it over the winter. So I guess #8177 didn't debut on the #77. :P

Here are some shots of #8177

#8177:

cta_8177__front_on_54.thumb.PNG.a0c9242c

cta_8177_rear_on_54.thumb.PNG.4706212ebc

cta_8177_rear_alt_angle_on_54.thumb.PNG.

• Upvote 3

Actually, what would be the point of sending a training bus to FG?  With the current management and political scene, FG just might get the 7900's (the actual buses) while 77th would get the 8200's.  Management could probably give the excuse that 77th puts more mileage on their buses, especially if the 7900's are run mostly on their longer routes like the 3, 4, and 8.  ;S

Actually, what would be the point of sending a training bus to FG?  With the current management and political scene, FG just might get the 7900's (the actual buses) while 77th would get the 8200's.  Management could probably give the excuse that 77th puts more mileage on their buses, especially if the 7900's are run mostly on their longer routes like the 3, 4, and 8.  ;S

Theres no doubt politics are playing into as to why the south and west sides of the city are getting all new bus and rail equipment rehabbed facilities while the NW side deals with badly aging CTA equipment, aging infrastructure. Go to 95th/Ryan, 79th/Ryan, Lake/Pulaski, new buses, new train cars, 77th/74th, Chicago ave garages, Harlem yard, 98th yard, all you will see is new equipment!!!  Now Go to Jefferson Park, Harlem/Blue Line, Forest Glen Garage, Rosemont yard, same look today as it was thirty years ago!. Theyre stuck in time!!!  FG same buses since 2002!  If I upset some here with my comments my sincerest apologies but Its an issue I feel cant be ignored. No doubt city politics and discrimination are a factor. With this new CTA boss I dont expect much improvements for the NW side area anytime soon. South and west side neighborhoods will continue to benefit with good updated transit equipment while other areas continue to be neglected! Ive spoken to operators I know at FG about this, Theyre at a loss for words!  Shame on CTA!   

Edited by Guest

Theres no doubt politics are playing into as to why the south and west sides of the city are getting all new bus and rail equipment while the NW side deals with aged equipment. Go to 95th/Ryan, 79th/Ryan, Lake/Pulaski, new buses, new train cars, 77th/74th, Chicago ave garages, Harlem yard, 98th yard, All new equipment!!!  Now Go to Jefferson Park, Harlem/Blue Line, Forest Glen Garage, Rosemont yard, same look now than it was thirty years ago!. Theyre stuck in time!!!  FG same buses from 2002!  No doubt city politics and discrimination are a factor. With this new CTA boss I dont expect much improvements for the NW side area anytime soon. South and west side neighborhoods will continue to benefit with good updated transit equipment while other areas continue to be neglected! Ive spoken to operators I know at FG about this, Theyre at a loss for words!  Shame on CTA!   

Someone please remind CTA5750 that Forest Park yard  in the WEST suburb of Forest Park has the same equipment and that is also on the Blue Line that runs through the WEST SIDE of the city.  Forest Glen also operates the 85 and 91 routes which run through the WEST SIDE of the city.  Also the Orange Line now runs majority 2600 series equipment through the SOUTHWEST SIDE of the city.

As the ARcher garage was once all 6400s before its closing, and 74th along with FG was all 6000 Flxs before receiving 1000s that were initially not slated for that garage, this says more about management intentions concerning fleet management rather than political or discriminatory practices. 

Besides, these "new" buses are still Novas.  I promise you you're not missing much, but next year, which is only 2 months away, you will start getting your wish.

• Upvote 3

Besides, these "new" buses are still Novas.  I promise you you're not missing much, but next year, which is only 2 months away, you will start getting your wish.

We'll wait and see.... I heard the CTA is secretly procuring about 100-130 of these from Canada at a discounted rate of $50/bus and will have them outfitted with wheelchair lifts just for Forest Glen.... :D The return of the lawn mowers!!!

• Upvote 2

We'll wait and see.... I heard the CTA is secretly procuring about 100-130 of these from Canada at a discounted rate of $50/bus and will have them outfitted with wheelchair lifts just for Forest Glen.... :D The return of the lawn mowers!!!

Going to be hard to do, since the Toronto fansites indicate that they are rust, and not just figuratively.

But I'm not saying that. What you have to do is compare how many buses were assigned to the local and express in 2009 compared to how many buses are on the route today. In any event, 20 buses don't explain the maybe 150 that should have been scrapped by now but have not (no reason given why essentially the green dot buses are still around).

Update: One should also consult TCMetro's post on the schedule, posted just after this post.

Yes I agree, I don't understand why they haven't retired anything at all hardly for the #8100's that have come in. Probably Fg should have 60 #1000's right now, but they don't. The rest could be retired by incoming #8200's. If there is any clue as to the future at fg, some buses still don't have updated clever devices like #6438, #6446 or #6571, which makes me believe they may be on the way out. The budget claims all buses will have updated clever devices by 2015, so they have two months to make that statement true.

BTW, #8175 is out on the #53 today.

Here are some shots of #8175

#8175;

cta_8175_front_on_53.thumb.PNG.647ff814b

cta_8175_rear_on_53.thumb.PNG.f2d74d0d4a

• Upvote 1

I was on #8076 yesterday.... I thought I heard a "Check Engine" warning tone as we turned from Irving Park to Ashland(very odd tone as it was a series of tones and whistles). Turns out that's the backdoor alarm tone for these Novas as the wind grabbed the doors on the turn!!! Sounds like something almost out of a gameshow....

That's the Star Trek red alert!! :P There's also the same alarm if the seat sensor goes off, but after a few seconds the lights start pulsating. They could always hire the Pace man on the Axess' saying in a stern voice "Please sit back down in your seat!!" 9_9 Now that I mention it he says something when they turn the Axess but I forgot what it was. I think it's "Please look both ways for traffic"

Edited by BusHunter

That's the Star Trek red alert!! :P There's also the same alarm if the seat sensor goes off, but after a few seconds the lights start pulsating. They could always hire the Pace man on the Axess' saying in a stern voice "Please sit back down in your seat!!" 9_9 Now that I mention it he says something when they turn the Axess but I forgot what it was. I think it's "Please look both ways for traffic"

It says " Caution!  Look both ways before turning"

Edited by artthouwill