7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

8167 wasn't on 67. 8168 won't be on 68. Next chance is 8170 on 70.

I was going to say #8167 better not be on #67. Garmon would be hogging up all the new buses!! They need to bring a few of these to FG. If the Cubs are going to the World Series and what do they have for riders, many from out of town. The oldest junk buses they have and all service from the airport is the oldest equipment they have. Now that's a good way to show off your transit system as world class!! 9_9 

Edited by BusHunter
  • Upvote 2

I was going to say #8167 better not be on #67. Garmon would be hogging up all the new buses!! They need to bring a few of these to FG. I think the Cubs now are going to the World Series and what do they have for riders, many from out of town. The oldest junk buses they have and all service from the airport is the oldest equipment they have. Now that's a good way to show off your transit system as world class!! 9_9 

Don't forget though that NP does extra service on the 152 for Cubs home games. So it won't be only 6400s transporting any baseball fans around town for however long the Cubs' playoff schedule lasts. Also O'Hare is not the airport in the city so 3200s will be in the mix also. Another thing to consider is that if they clean the buses and trains as well as FG not putting out 6400s with missing panels, few outside transit workers and transit enthusiasts would even be paying attention to those particular buses and trains are the older units among CTA's revenue vehicles. From what I observe of out of town riders, very few of them even care what kind of bus or train comes just as long as they get to whatever city attraction they're trying to make it to and see. And CTA is not the first or only big city TA to have its oldest revenue vehicles  on routes that serve and pass by that city's well known locations and attractions. 

• Upvote 4

... From what I observe of out of town riders, very few of them even care what kind of bus or train comes just as long as they get to whatever city attraction they're trying to make it to and see....

At supposedly an average of $1300 for a ticket on the secondary market, I don't think any out of towners are going to take the L.

• Upvote 2

At supposedly an average of $1300 for a ticket on the secondary market, I don't think any out of towners are going to take the L.

Good point. And it's another detail that points to it quite possibly mainly only pretty much being transit fans and those transit workers who can distinguish between the different models of bus and rail cars currently in revenue service notice what's running on what.

• Upvote 1

From what I observe of out of town riders, very few of them even care what kind of bus or train comes just as long as they get to whatever city attraction they're trying to make it to and see. And CTA is not the first or only big city TA to have its oldest revenue vehicles  on routes that serve and pass by that city's well known locations and attractions. 

True.   One MTA depot that serves Midtown and Lower Manhattan exclusively, still operates a large fleet of 16-year-old RTSes.  They run all hours,  too;  not just peak periods.

• Upvote 1

That's what they are up to at south shops but they are probably getting more this weekend. Maybe up to #8183 unless something is happening still with the Novabus bus assembly slow down, which I doubt. 

A late night update: #8170 and #8171 are gone. #8176 has made it there. No other new ones have yet to arrive. #8172-75 and #8177 are still there. 

• Upvote 1

And here are some photos of it. Maybe part of it's problem is a defective destination sign. I'll have to notice if I see it working in the future. If not it's probably waiting on parts, but all 3 destination signs are not working which may be an internal problem on the bus. Maybe they figured it was finally time to send it out.

8141 on the 20 this afternoon. Signs still not working.

A late night update: #8170 and #8171 are gone. #8176 has made it there. No other new ones have yet to arrive. #8172-75 and #8177 are still there. 

I wonder why the budget only lists 275 buses by the end of the year, when up to #8177 is accounted for here at CTA. That's 278 buses. If they really are not getting anymore buses until spring, they should just send over the last of the #6400's to FG, Chicago is barely using them and they did receive 28 more buses at Chicago then they had. Maybe it would do something for FG as those are all the newer type #6400's. The #6400's are really slow, I was on #6453 and man that bus is slow. I thought it may have been the operator, but they did a relief and some young guy got the bus and it was still slow. I don't know why the #6400 series buses are still around. When they did the massive retirement, buses up to #6530 left, they should do that again but eliminate them all this time except for maybe #6515.  

Just a quick thought, if FG does get the 8200s, do you think they would push these buses into that garage first before considering bringing 1000s to FG?  I'm thinking that Chicago will flush all their 6400s to FG and once they are all gone, the 8200s will be delivered to FG and FG will retire 6400's as the new ones get delivered. Once all 125 buses are delivered to FG, they will retire the remaining half of their 6400s in exchange for 1000s.

Just a quick thought, if FG does get the 8200s, do you think they would push these buses into that garage first before considering bringing 1000s to FG?  I'm thinking that Chicago will flush all their 6400s to FG and once they are all gone, the 8200s will be delivered to FG and FG will retire 6400's as the new ones get delivered. Once all 125 buses are delivered to FG, they will retire the remaining half of their 6400s in exchange for 1000s.

Question is how many 1000s C has now, as it doesn't need more than about 110 of them (maybe 125). Otherwise, there should be a surplus of 1000s system wide, since the rehabs are over.

I wonder why the budget only lists 275 buses by the end of the year, when up to #8177 is accounted for here at CTA. That's 278 buses. If they really are not getting anymore buses until spring, they should just send over the last of the #6400's to FG, Chicago is barely using them and they did receive 28 more buses at Chicago then they had. Maybe it would do something for FG as those are all the newer type #6400's. The #6400's are really slow, I was on #6453 and man that bus is slow. I thought it may have been the operator, but they did a relief and some young guy got the bus and it was still slow. I don't know why the #6400 series buses are still around. When they did the massive retirement, buses up to #6530 left, they should do that again but eliminate them all this time except for maybe #6515.  

Now you know CTA budgets can be very misleading from time to time! Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a barrage of 8200s at the shop right now! :P