7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Here's a couple shots of #8138.

#8138:

cta_8138_front_on_37.thumb.PNG.845923603cta_8138_rear_on_37.thumb.PNG.39bf17389c

You know, I've been trying my best to get enthused about the Nova 7900 series since they hit the streets of Chicago. When I came back home this past July, I had plenty of opportunities to ride the new Novas. The few times I came back in previous years, I was breakin' my neck to ride the 5000s, as well as the new ME Highliners.  But for some reason, I just could not muster up the interest to ride the 7900s. And that ain't like me at all!!! Truthfully, I'm partial to the New Flyer Restyled (like the 60-foot 4300 series articulates).

lfr_culvercity.jpg

I wonder will these 40-footers ever see CTA colors in the future??                                                      

• Upvote 2

You know, I've been trying my best to get enthused about the Nova 7900 series since they hit the streets of Chicago. When I came back home this past July, I had plenty of opportunities to ride the new Novas. The few times I came back in previous years, I was breakin' my neck to ride the 5000s, as well as the new ME Highliners.  But for some reason, I just could not muster up the interest to ride the 7900s. And that ain't like me at all!!! Truthfully, I'm partial to the New Flyer Restyled (like the 60-foot 4300 series articulates).

lfr_culvercity.jpg

I wonder will these 40-footers ever see CTA colors in the future??                                                      

The answer to that would be no. New Flyer discontinued all LF and LFR models. And once the absorption of NABI was completed they also discontinued the LFWs and all other NABI models. The only thing they're making now are Xcelsiors and the MiDi. 

• Upvote 2

Well with them getting TAs to buy the Xcelsior, I guess they figured it was no point in continuing to build the LFR, so they discontinued it last year. They had already stopped making 30LFs and 35LFs in 2009, 60LFs in 2010 and 40LFs in 2013. Interestingly enough, NABI's website is still up yet hasn't been updated since last year as NF discontinued the entire NABI brand that same year with the LFR.

• Upvote 2

The answer to that would be no. New Flyer discontinued all LF and LFR models. And once the absorption of NABI was completed they also discontinued the LFWs and all other NABI models. The only thing they're making now are Xcelsiors and the MiDi. 

I'm sure New Flyer is always looking for another model to go with the Xcelsior. It might even be on the designing table as I type this post. When it'll see manufacturer production is another story.

I'm sure New Flyer is always looking for another model to go with the Xcelsior. It might even be on the designing table as I type this post. When it'll see manufacturer production is another story.

The way NF put phasing out the LF and NABIs, only if it is the successor of the Xcelsior. Those announcements made it quite clear that New Flyer was not competing with itself, with such statements is that it didn't pay to put resources into separate platforms.

The way NF put phasing out the LF and NABIs, only if it is the successor of the Xcelsior. Those announcements made it quite clear that New Flyer was not competing with itself, with such statements is that it didn't pay to put resources into separate platforms.

Well Nova has two basic 40' models, the LFS and LFX. While the LFX is their version of the Xcelsior, the LFS is still the Standard 40' model. Why New Flyer got rid of the LFR model when many competitors offer several model choices is a mystery to me. At least with two models, you're getting business for variable prices(I'm sure the LFR was cheaper to purchase than the Xcelsior model), and no doubt the LFS is cheaper than the LFX, which is probably why the CTA procured that model.

#8148 is surrounded by 1000s, #4075, #4367, and #6729 while ready to be released tomorrow. #8145 and #8149 are still there. Where are #8150   and  higher????

Well Garmon, how did you know #8148 would go out today? #8148 is on the #72 right now. Ever think of joining the psychic friends network? xD

Edited by BusHunter
  • Upvote 3

Well Nova has two basic 40' models, the LFS and LFX. While the LFX is their version of the Xcelsior, the LFS is still the Standard 40' model. Why New Flyer got rid of the LFR model when many competitors offer several model choices is a mystery to me. At least with two models, you're getting business(I'm sure the LFR was cheaper to purchase than the Xcelsior model), and no doubt the LFS is cheaper than the LFX, which is probably why the CTA procured that model.

I indicated above what New Flyer's reason was. They believe that the Xcelsior is appropriate for BRT use (no need to continue Cleveland's LF BRT model).

The LFX is still classified as part of the Smart Bus line. Probably the same as Ford making Lincolns, except it has been pointed out that a Lincoln contains entirely Ford parts. Not quite the same as GM maintaining Cadillac and Chevrolet.

Well Nova has two basic 40' models, the LFS and LFX. While the LFX is their version of the Xcelsior, the LFS is still the Standard 40' model. Why New Flyer got rid of the LFR model when many competitors offer several model choices is a mystery to me. At least with two models, you're getting business for variable prices(I'm sure the LFR was cheaper to purchase than the Xcelsior model), and no doubt the LFS is cheaper than the LFX, which is probably why the CTA procured that model.

As far as I can tell, the Nova LFX is just a fancy branding applied to various styling features.  It's not a different chassis design or anything of that sort.  It's more akin to the difference between a New Flyer LF and LFR (or LFA, for that matter) where the basic structure of the bus was the same, it was just the end caps that were different.  Since Nova offers "LFX" styling options on their standard LFS, I'm not even sure what an LFX actually is.  At least with a New Flyer, you could specifically tell an LFR and LFA apart from an LF.

The Xcelsior, on the other hand, is a completely different chassis than the LF buses that New Flyer built.  There's probably a bit less parts commonality in an Xcelsior compared to the older New Flyers (the windows are slightly larger, for example, because the sections of the wall between each window are thinner), whereas with Nova it seems you can pick and choose options from the LFS that bring you all the way up to LFX standard.

So, in that sense, Nova only has one model, with a few different options.  If you click the link for the spec sheet from the LFX page, it just gives you their LFS specs with no reference to the LFX.  New Flyer's Xcelsior offers a similar range of styling options (roof boards, frameless windows), but you couldn't have simply applied Xcelsior styling to an LF bus, because the pieces wouldn't fit.

• Upvote 1

It looks like Novabus is only going to deliver the first 50 buses of the #8100 block. I guess they don't deliver a 50 bus block if it's incomplete. With all the #1000's sent to 77th and 74th from C, they could have easily sent all the #6400's to FG. I would have then sent the next 50 to FG to give them a reprieve from the older and older (versus cleaner/greener) fleet they now have. It would at least give them something until next May, but then again they'll be lucky to get buses in May either.

Edited by BusHunter

It looks like Novabus is only going to deliver the first 50 buses of the #8100 block. I guess they don't deliver a 50 bus block if it's incomplete. With all the #1000's sent to 77th and 74th from C, they could have easily sent all the #6400's to FG. I would have then sent the next 50 to FG to give them a reprieve from the older and older (versus cleaner/greener) fleet they now have. It would at least give them something until next May, but then again they'll be lucky to get buses in May either.

Not following your post clearly here.... are you saying that Nova Bus is only delivering 8100-8149 before the Labor Day Holiday Weekend, or 8100-8149 for 2015 and will deliver 8150-8199 and 8200-8325 next year?

Not following your post clearly here.... are you saying that Nova Bus is only delivering 8100-8149 before the Labor Day Holiday Weekend, or 8100-8149 for 2015 and will deliver 8150-8199 and 8200-8325 next year?

Remember Andre said they wouldn't be building the last 23 until they caught up with the other cities orders. Well those 23 are in the next 50 block and Novabus so far only seems to deliver in blocks of buses. When that 23 bus order is filled, late fall early winter then they will deliver #8150 - #8199. This also seems to reflect what south shops has done. They have sent out the #8140's without receiving anything more like it anticipates not receiving any for a while probably 6-8 weeks. What surprises me is Chicago will be going into the fall pick with #6400's it seems.

Spotted 8119 about a half hour ago on the #12. I didn't know Chicago still did full WB trips for this route. I thought all the WB trips ended at Kedzie for a deadhead up to Chicago Ave to become a #66. Sorry for the blurriness. The light had changed as I thought to get the shot, and the bus was speeding up. 

IMG_20150908_064621927.jpg

Edited by jajuan
  • Upvote 1

Spotted 8119 about a half hour ago on the #12. I didn't know Chicago still did full WB trips for this route. I thought all the WB trips ended at Kedzie for a deadhead up to Chicago Ave to become a #66. Sorry for the blurriness. The light had changed as I thought to get the shot, and the bus was speeding up. 

IMG_20150908_064621927.jpg

Vinnie Mac said because you're not a regular picture poster for these, he'll just let you off with a warning..... this time.... :P

Hey MrCta85, you want a 7900 at your garage??? :P xD

image.jpg

Lool!! now you guys know how I feel about them novas that's frickin awesome!!! Trying to see what street that is tho. It never fails stuff like this only happens when I'm off smh lol. But I'll be back tomorrow so hopefully they are still there lol. But super awesome photo dude. 

• Upvote 1

Lool!! now you guys know how I feel about them novas that's frickin awesome!!! Trying to see what street that is tho. It never fails stuff like this only happens when I'm off smh lol. But I'll be back tomorrow so hopefully they are still there lol. But super awesome photo dude. 

Thanks man! xD This was by my house on 75th and Vincennes. I think it was randomly programmed though but it did had a 1 (103rd) in the run number box.