7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Sounds plausible..........However, somehow it doesn't seem that the 3 and the 8 have that much less ridership than routes 4 and 79 to justify running Halsted and King Drive almost exclusively with 7900's during a regular work week.  At the same time, as was mentioned earlier, 8 and 3 run nearly exclusively with NFs on the weekends.  Dog....I'm getting myself confused...LOL O.o.  The only way to get a better understanding is to ask a person in the "know" from 77th.  Hey, it's a thought anyway.

When 77th had 6400's they ran on the 3 mainly because the route has a  higher older population, the novas could  kneel down lower then NF. I am not sure whats the reason right now.

Damn they totally fooled me, I was checking for #8137 and #8138, not #8139. :P I was thinking maybe they were taking the week off from deliveries since two weekends ago, it sounds like they didn't deliver from NY. Maybe the raining buses halted delivery and inspection operations for a little while. Better to be safe than wet!!

Damn! xD

Remember, a TDH4507, which was considered a "small" bus by CTA in the 1960's when they ran on Lake St, had 44 seats. A "big" bus like the propanes, etc, had 50. So the number of seats has gone down dramatically over the years, while the size of the bus has stayed identical, and the artic is the last (and probably only) way to get per-bus capacity back up to where it was 50 years ago.

• Upvote 3

Very true man. I'm sitting here like wtf, why not stretch them out on all routes?

Dont feel so bad! :)   We dont see them at all where I live!!! 

Edited by Guest

Dont feel so bad! :)   We dont see them at all around where I live!!! 

I know but it's getting to the point that the northwest side scenarios of being left behind is really making a strong case of how biased CTA really are and playing flip flop. Is it because of the fact that FG being an outdoor garage that's preventing any other buses from being assigned or we just have some bonehead officials and aldermen isn't taking this issue serious?

I know but it's getting to the point that the northwest side scenarios of being left behind is really making a strong case of how biased CTA really are and playing flip flop. Is it because of the fact that FG being an outdoor garage that's preventing any other buses from being assigned or we just have some bonehead officials and aldermen isn't taking this issue serious?

That was a consideration, but shouldn't be now. The main issue was being able to start the buses and needing preheaters and capacitors, but the new buses should have them. There were some former Kedzie NFs at FG, but for some reason that didn't last.

There are boneheaded officials in bus operations, but I doubt that an alderman knows the difference between bus series, either. The Novas, for the most part (who knows about 25 or so) will have to be gone in about 15 months, so if you think you found a pattern, it is going to have to be broken. As people indicate, it probably has to be broken soon, since if Chicago gets 100 buses, it is going to have to move out FGs.

• Upvote 1

When 77th had 6400's they ran on the 3 mainly because the route has a  higher older population, the novas could  kneel down lower then NF. I am not sure whats the reason right now.

Well, that's definitely an act of consideration on the part of CTA; can't find fault with it at all.  However, Halsted doesn't seem to fit the same demographic description as King Drive. It's more like 79th Street, Cottage Grove or even 87th Street for that matter.

Today I noticed something quite interesting about 8125, now i don't know if chicago is doing something different with their garage stickers but today i noticed a 5 in the Window.  I was working the 29 heading back to 95th when i saw it on grand before i turned back on to state street. At 1st I didn't think nothing of it till it hit me lol I was thinking ok that's new to me cause they normally have a C in the window and of course the 5 in the run box is their garage code but that 5 sticker was a 1st for me. Have you guys noticed too?

Today I noticed something quite interesting about 8125, now i don't know if chicago is doing something different with their garage stickers but today i noticed a 5 in the Window.  I was working the 29 heading back to 95th when i saw it on grand before i turned back on to state street. At 1st I didn't think nothing of it till it hit me lol I was thinking ok that's new to me cause they normally have a C in the window and of course the 5 in the run box is their garage code but that 5 sticker was a 1st for me. Have you guys noticed too?

Might be just old stickers. I remember the 5300-Series Flxibles having "5"'s on their windows for stickers.

Even with new equipment not being assigned at FG, I would have at least expected NFs being shifted there with the other garages receiving 7900s. We dont even see that!!! Very irritating!! WTF???  This strongly smells biased to me!!! 

Even with new equipment not being assigned at FG, I would have at least expected NFs being shifted there with the other garages receiving 7900s. We dont even see that!!! Very irritating!! WTF???  This strongly smells biased to me!!! 

What I didn't understand is 77th and 103rd getting NF's from Forest Glen to begin with, especially 1200s. Now, the more 8100s arrives the more 6400s Forest Glen gets and it's a possibility that they're gonna get all of them that would increase the fleet at a whopping 286 of them. It didn't make any sense of Chicago-77th-103rd swaps at all. Pretty much mind games because Chicago has to forfeit some NF's anyway it goes after the completion of the 8100s. I don't know what's the deal with Forest Glen but somebody needs to wake up because this is sad.

• Upvote 2

What I didn't understand is 77th and 103rd getting NF's from Forest Glen to begin with, especially 1200s. Now, the more 8100s arrives the more 6400s Forest Glen gets and it's a possibility that they're gonna get all of them that would increase the fleet at a whopping 286 of them. It didn't make any sense of Chicago-77th-103rd swaps at all. Pretty much mind games because Chicago has to forfeit some NF's anyway it goes after the completion of the 8100s. I don't know what's the deal with Forest Glen but somebody needs to wake up because this is sad.

Not to mention the fact that FG is an outdoor facility certainly could not be an issue. NP has its fleet of NF standard and artic buses, yet that garage gets a was complete re equipment.   Ive spoken to the operators I know at FG about this and they are just at a loss for words. They know about the new equipment arriving and yet they see more and more older buses being shipped to them when they have rehabbed NF standard size buses available to send.  

Edited by Guest

Not to mention the fact that FG is an outdoor facility certainly could not be an issue. NP has its fleet of NF standard and artic buses, yet that garage gets a was complete re equipment.   Ive spoken to the operators I know at FG about this and they are just at a loss for words. They know about the new equipment arriving and yet they see more and more older buses being shipped to them when they have rehabbed NF standard size buses available to send.  

Indeed! I'm trying to have a better understanding besides the sneeze guards why some operators at 74th and 77th don't even like them. Hell, if they don't like it then do Forest Glen a favor! :)

Indeed! I'm trying to have a better understanding besides the sneeze guards why some operators at 74th and 77th don't even like them. Hell, if they don't like it then do Forest Glen a favor! :)

I agree!!! No argument here!!! :)

I agree!!! No argument here!!! :)

Or better yet they should try driving at FG for a week under current conditions and then decide if they really want to keep complaining after that.

• Upvote 2