7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Ever since #8127 was called in the other day, it hasn't been in service. Maybe it did have something wrong with it but it wasn't apparent to me. I guess #8126 is getting it's leak fixed. I haven't really seen that one either. #8125 is also out there on #72. It hasn't ran since the first day in service.

#8127 and #8126 were out this evening, so looks like that's the end of the raining buses. It showed too, there were 4 on the #70 and the #72 had a pack of 4 in a row running. I got shots of some of the new buses below:

#8134:

cta_8134_front_on_70.thumb.PNG.a16c0c9bc

cta_8134_rear_on_70.thumb.PNG.98d44d3d8f

#8133:

cta_8133_front_on_54.thumb.PNG.6ab5bdbac

cta_8133_rear_on_54.thumb.PNG.584df04ab5

#8109:

cta_8109_front_on_72.thumb.PNG.4ba116436

cta_8109_rear_on_72.thumb.PNG.48f76676a1

• Upvote 1

Here's some shots of #8136. I learned something today about these buses. The entrance way is more narrow for these buses than for the #6400's. We had a guy in a motorized wheelchair today that couldn't clear the turn between the farebox and the right wheel well. He was a large person but he still should have made the turn. i got out and took some pictures. That's why the bus is so low, it's in the middle of boarding him.  Don't know if he was finally able to get on or not. I also caught a rare shot of no headlights on a #7900. For those that stated these buses have day time running lights, this picture argues that point.

#8136:

cta_8136_front_on_20.thumb.PNG.a3e4e9210

cta_8136_front_on_20_wb.thumb.PNG.9270ba

cta_8136_rear_on_20.thumb.PNG.4634e216cf

Here's some shots of #8136. I learned something today about these buses. The entrance way is more narrow for these buses than for the #6400's. We had a guy in a motorized wheelchair today that couldn't clear the turn between the farebox and the right wheel well. He was a large person but he still should have made the turn. i got out and took some pictures. That's why the bus is so low, it's in the middle of boarding him.  Don't know if he was finally able to get on or not. I also caught a rare shot of no headlights on a #7900. For those that stated these buses have day time running lights, this picture argues that point.

#8136:

I saw a guy with an oversized wheelchair having trouble boarding a NF bus.  He had to back in the bus and barely cleared the turn into the bus.  The person sitting in the first seat had to get up so he could get by.  So I don't think it was the bus, but these wheelchairs (and baby carriages) are getting bigger and bigger.

While the 6400s had big front doors, there are certain dimensions that make buses ADA compliant. I doubt that those are being violated. I know you didn't see him have problems on a NF.

I was looking at it, the shield cause it goes to the floor takes away about an inch to two inches, whatever is the thickness of the shield. I think the shield on an xcelsior goes out further, it almost looks bent on a soft left angle, but there's not enough of them to see one with a wheelchair yet. Like I say he was a large man, that may have had something to do with it.

Going with Art's notion, I don't see how an SUV stroller can fit on these buses. Maybe that's good anyway because these strollers are too big for the bus.

Hmm, no #7900's released today???

Edited by BusHunter

#8136:

As I recall, the discussion wasn't whether or not the buses have daytime running lights, but that CTA operators rarely operate buses with the headlights off during day operations. But the OMSI 2 discussions about the Chicago addon to the game kind of cleared that up as far as the 1000s and 4000s are concerned in that the simulator simulates those models' day run/night run switch among their controls. The headlights are always shown as being on for both day and night run operations. The only time the game showed the headlights off is if a player has that switch in the off position while playing. As for larger size wheelchairs, scooters and strollers, I've seen several of those aboard 7900 series buses that I've ridden on the #9.

Here's some shots of #8135. I could have had shots of #8125, but the bus went out of service again at the stop before Laramie/Hirsch. Don't know why it keeps being bo, I think this is it's third trip out but each trip it doesn't last longer than a trip and it goes in.

#8135:

cta_8135_front_on_65.thumb.PNG.4a8a5f3c7

cta_8135_rear_on_65.thumb.PNG.0dd3f679ad

• Upvote 2

Is this biased or what? 77th 7900s are only on #3 #4 and #8. There are NONE on #79!

For some reason on weekdays the 3 and 8 are required to be ran  with mainly 7900's. (Besides 8's from Chicago to Root).   The 4 is ran with a mix. On weekends those routes are ran with mainly NF. It is weird. At night 79th is ran with 7900's

For some reason on weekdays the 3 and 8 are required to be ran  with mainly 7900's. (Besides 8's from Chicago to Root).   The 4 is ran with a mix. On weekends those routes are ran with mainly NF. It is weird. At night 79th is ran with 7900's

The at night part is very true. 74th does the same with the 75 as well.

Thinking about this #8125 yesterday I got to thinking, where is the #73/#57 interlines relief point? Is it Armitage/Pulaski or Laramie/Chicago or it can be either place? I never really see any #73's doing reliefs at pulaski and yesterday this #8125 which was an interline, sounds like it did a relief at Chicago. The tracker said one minute to Hirsch, delayed and then it just dropped from inactivity.

Is this biased or what? 77th 7900s are only on #3 #4 and #8. There are NONE on #79!

For some reason on weekdays the 3 and 8 are required to be ran  with mainly 7900's. (Besides 8's from Chicago to Root).   The 4 is ran with a mix. On weekends those routes are ran with mainly NF. It is weird. At night 79th is ran with 7900's.

77th has always been quirky this way. There are 100 7900s assigned to this garage. Yet it appears that only half are really run, mostly on 2 lines (the 8 and the 3). The 4 does get 2 - 3 7900s on any given day. There have been days when 79th had none at all!! Between 1 - 4 am (owl service), you will see ALL 7900's on the 4 and the 79. But during daytime hours, 1000 series rule on these lines, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I do think the newer equipment should be spread more liberally than what it is, especially on lines that are as heavily traveled as the 79 and the 4.  But for some reason, 77th seems to have a bias like Garmon said.

• Upvote 1

Very true man. I'm sitting here like wtf, why not stretch them out on all routes?

• Upvote 1

77th has always been quirky this way. There are 100 7900s assigned to this garage. Yet it appears that only half are really run, mostly on 2 lines (the 8 and the 3). The 4 does get 2 - 3 7900s on any given day. There have been days when 79th had none at all!! Between 1 - 4 am (owl service), you will see ALL 7900's on the 4 and the 79. But during daytime hours, 1000 series rule on these lines, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I do think the newer equipment should be spread more liberally than what it is, especially on lines that are as heavily traveled as the 79 and the 4.  But for some reason, 77th seems to have a bias like Garmon said.

IIRC, Busjack said the novas actually seat less than a NF, which might be a reason to send those [NF] to #4 or #79. But then I look at the 5000's and the stimulus artics and realize that CTA has shown increasing interest in packing more people on buses in the form of more standing passengers due to aisle-facing seating than there actually being more seats for people to sit down (which, IMO, is less of a safety hazard in the event of a crash)

Note: At the time I'm typing this, there are 6 nova's on the #4, but still nowhere near the amount of NF's

Edited by NewFlyerMCI
  • Upvote 2

IIRC, Busjack said the novas actually seat less than a NF, which might be a reason to send those [NF] to #4 or #79. But then I look at the 5000's and the stimulus artics and realize that CTA has shown increasing interest in packing more people on buses in the form of more standing passengers due to aisle-facing seating than there actually being more seats for people to sit down (which, IMO, is less of a safety hazard in the event of a crash)

Note: At the time I'm typing this, there are 6 nova's on the #4, but still nowhere near the amount of NF's

Sounds plausible..........However, somehow it doesn't seem that the 3 and the 8 have that much less ridership than routes 4 and 79 to justify running Halsted and King Drive almost exclusively with 7900's during a regular work week.  At the same time, as was mentioned earlier, 8 and 3 run nearly exclusively with NFs on the weekends.  Dog....I'm getting myself confused...LOL O.o.  The only way to get a better understanding is to ask a person in the "know" from 77th.  Hey, it's a thought anyway.

The bus of the hour! Shot of #8139.

image.jpg

Damn they totally fooled me, I was checking for #8137 and #8138, not #8139. :P I was thinking maybe they were taking the week off from deliveries since two weekends ago, it sounds like they didn't deliver from NY. Maybe the raining buses halted delivery and inspection operations for a little while. Better to be safe than wet!!

• Upvote 3