7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

... While the Clever devices may be there in Plattsburg they may not be programmed, but the destination signs are usually programmed so maybe they are.  ...

As the pictures to which I just linked showed, at least the Luminator program is making the signs say NOT IN SERVICE. However, my impression from the various specs is that the Clever Device is installed by CTA, not the bus manufacturer, so determining that Run 5305 results in a destination sign of 53 PULASKI to PETERSON being displayed would be up to South Shops staff.

As the pictures to which I just linked showed, at least the Luminator program is making the signs say NOT IN SERVICE. However, my impression from the various specs is that the Clever Device is installed by CTA, not the bus manufacturer, so determining that Run 5305 results in a destination sign of 53 PULASKI to PETERSON being displayed would be up to South Shops staff.

I haven't seen the novas being delivered but the nf's were delivered, some of them, with actual route signs on the destination, so if it didn't have a clever device how could it display a route and run number? It might be there but it's in a trial form, perhaps the clever device guys at south shops are doing the full program. You would think the guys at Novabus would like to test their signs before the buses go out.

A few shots of new #8100's including the first day in service #8126. Would you believe it was raining in the bus on #8126's first day in service!! This one was not as bad, half the amount of water was on the floor and it was dripping from the front left corner of the air conditioner. Someone had put a Mcdonald's cup in the seat it was leaking on. (At least someone is not going to have a wet behind.) I wonder if they put a faulty seal on this air conditioner, seems funny it's now two buses.

#8126:

cta_8126_front_on_54.thumb.PNG.484c11804

cta_8126_rear_on_54.thumb.PNG.a500dba98e

#8123:

cta_8123_front_on_70.thumb.PNG.125cd765a

cta_8123_rear_on_70.thumb.PNG.9eefe54962

• Upvote 2

I haven't seen the novas being delivered but the nf's were delivered, some of them, with actual route signs on the destination, so if it didn't have a clever device how could it display a route and run number? It might be there but it's in a trial form, perhaps the clever device guys at south shops are doing the full program. You would think the guys at Novabus would like to test their signs before the buses go out.

They use the Luminator box over the windshield (description of the Luminatior ODK). That's where the destination sign programming is. The Clever Device only tells it to put up sign 13BF already programmed into the Luminator (for instance). Apparently, there was another program for the Hanover signs in 700-701 (see their description of their HELEN programming).

The destination signs are independent of the Clever Device. The destination signs can be set to show any programmed sign, regardless of what the Clever Device is calling for. However, the Luminator box is hidden, and most drivers don't even know it exists (and Instruction is perfectly happy to keep it that way) as the Clever Device screen now is essentially omnipotent - controls signs, communications, announcements, schedule adherence, login, everything. Clever Device pooks out, bus is for all practical purposes dead until it can be reactivated.

• Upvote 3

This morning getting off the Red Line at 79th, I saw #7919 on making a left onto State, presumably to get on the Ryan, sporting a headsign for the #151 to Belmont. Emergency loan or no? Run number IIRC was 7953

With the Air & Water Show going on, anything is possible right now. A lot of NP New Flyer Artics are on assignment for the A & W, and the #151 usually has artics on it, so these might just be fill-in buses, nothing more....

Also with the hot weather, I anticipate CTA has some cooling buses staged along and around North Ave. Beach.

• Upvote 2

I saw several of these at North and Clark for the air and water show! 

20150816_140517(0).jpg

Looked like they were trying to run those exclusively after the show, mostly the extra runs which were the ones pictures above. #8075 was back on the #72 and another one from 74th. i saw #8128 but it had it's 4 way flashers on and was going back to the garage not in service, so Chicago must have it and #8127. Maybe it had leakitis. :P I couldn't get a shot of it. It went by too fast. I did get another shot of #8117. I took this one shot of #8120 the other day.

#8117:

cta_8117_front_on_72_just_after_the_air_

#8120:

cta_8120_on_20.thumb.PNG.aedf93afd40fbd9

Edited by BusHunter
  • Upvote 3

#8127 is out on the #53 today and #8129 is out on the #54B. Maybe something was up with #8128, I haven't seen it in service yet, just driving around at the Air Show. Seems funny we haven't seen much of #8125, but with it sandwiched in between #8124 and #8126 and they both rain in the bus, it probably has that problem too. Hopefully they caught that on the assembly line or CTA's going to have some raining buses!! #8118 was out on the #20 and it was missing a good 10 days. Don't know where #8109 is. It's been gone now 3 weeks.

#8127 is out on the #53 today and #8129 is out on the #54B. Maybe something was up with #8128, I haven't seen it in service yet, just driving around at the Air Show. Seems funny we haven't seen much of #8125, but with it sandwiched in between #8124 and #8126 and they both rain in the bus, it probably has that problem too. Hopefully they caught that on the assembly line or CTA's going to have some raining buses!! #8118 was out on the #20 and it was missing a good 10 days. Don't know where #8109 is. It's been gone now 3 weeks.

Here's #8128.

image.jpg

2015-08-17 19.04.24.jpg

Edited by garmon757
  • Upvote 1

Here's some photos of the not so often run #8118 and #8127. I got lucky with #8127, I boarded at Lawrence and at Montrose the operator called the bus in, I don't know why, it wasn't leaking. I was laughing, I don't know if he called it in at Lawrence or what but the control center came on and said that's not an emergency. That's the only bad thing now everyone can hear your conversation. He called in on a phone at montrose. Privacy is golden!! xD

#8127:

cta_8127_front_on_53.thumb.PNG.8c8b25c14

cta_8127_front_closer_side_on_53.thumb.P

cta_8127_rear_on_number_53.thumb.PNG.a1e

#8118:

cta_8118_front_on_20.thumb.PNG.b7c248071

cta_8118_rear_on_20.thumb.PNG.81957ff9a0

• Upvote 1

I saw several of these at North and Clark for the air and water show! 

20150816_140517(0).jpg

Looked like they were trying to run those exclusively after the show, mostly the extra runs which were the ones pictures above. #8075 was back on the #72 and another one from 74th. i saw #8128 but it had it's 4 way flashers on and was going back to the garage not in service, so Chicago must have it and #8127. Maybe it had leakitis. :P I couldn't get a shot of it. It went by too fast. I did get another shot of #8117. I took this one shot of #8120 the other day.

#8117:

cta_8117_front_on_72_just_after_the_air_

#8120:

cta_8120_on_20.thumb.PNG.aedf93afd40fbd9

True, most of them were loans from the 74th Garage!! No New Fylers in sight of this picture! lol

Rode #8037 and #8057 last evening on the #75. One thing I will definitely say is the novas are good on legroom. #7957 was good for heat, but not enough to make one sweat bullets. #7937 however, decided that we the people needed a reminder of what the artic tundra feels like. Both of them had the sneeze guard blocking the driver off. 

Ever since #8127 was called in the other day, it hasn't been in service. Maybe it did have something wrong with it but it wasn't apparent to me. I guess #8126 is getting it's leak fixed. I haven't really seen that one either. #8125 is also out there on #72. It hasn't ran since the first day in service.

Ever since #8127 was called in the other day, it hasn't been in service. Maybe it did have something wrong with it but it wasn't apparent to me. I guess #8126 is getting it's leak fixed. I haven't really seen that one either. #8125 is also out there on #72. It hasn't ran since the first day in service.

Or they were hiding away from you! :P