7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

If I were to see a Nova artic at South Shops, I'd be laughing my ass off.

Not any funnier than when NABI sent over a 42BRT and 62BRT to Pace HQ to try to make a sale, or, for that matter, an LA Metro 45C (although Pace did push them as part of an unsuccessful TIGER grant request for an I-294 high occupancy lane service, and that did get Pace thinking about CNG).

The only justification for including artics in the solicitation seems to have been the Ashland BRT, as quotes were asked for BRT features (look in the 40/60 foot procurement thread; see the link at the bottom of this page).

Not said is that using this math, there are 350 spare buses, out of which 29 are needed for extras. Maybe on a percentage basis it isn't that excessive, but it does explain the bloat, and the rest explains why the Novas of the base and option 1 (6708 and below) should be gone real soon.

I think despite how unfair it seems, FG's roster will probably remain pretty much untouched. They still need to move over the remaining Novas(6400's) from Chicago at some point. But I don't think we'll see a exodus of Novas(minor or major) until 2016 when 8200-8324 start coming into play and go to _______ Garage, that's when New Flyers will start to come to FG and *possibly* the option of new Novas.

I think despite how unfair it seems, FG's roster will probably remain pretty much untouched. They still need to move over the remaining Novas(6400's) from Chicago at some point. But I don't think we'll see a exodus of Novas(minor or major) until 2016 when 8200-8324 start coming into play and go to _______ Garage, that's when New Flyers will start to come to FG and *possibly* the option of new Novas.

Is there any demonstrated need why  "They still need to move over the remaining Novas(6400's) from Chicago at some point" to other than the scrapper? Or at least without moving an equivalent number, plus at least 40 more, to the scrapper?

Andre's point seemed to be that the excessive number of spares was due to the rehabs, which are over.

Is there any demonstrated need why  "They still need to move over the remaining Novas(6400's) from Chicago at some point" to other than the scrapper? Or at least without moving an equivalent number, plus at least 40 more, to the scrapper?

Andre's point seemed to be that the excessive number of spares was due to the rehabs, which are over.

Well the Novas at Chicago might in a little better shape than some at FG(there was a post about one having an issue and another having a repeated dying motor at a bus terminal). The ones that are worse for wear can be retired with these 17, then it'll have to be onto the New Flyers after that.

Right now, with bus roulette going on at FG, having a large amount of Novas might be a good thing as it's a question of "Which is road ready today?" probably start of every run.

So far, no new Novas at the shop. The parking lot is damn near empty! 

There's conflicting reports about 8150-8199 either coming in October or in 2016. We can take up a donation for a tent, bucket and thermos with Hot Chocolate(no refills) for you to keep watch there if you like.... :D

-Rations, razor and hygienic products not included. You'll have to purchase these or end up looking like Tom Hanks from "Cast Away".

• Upvote 3

There's conflicting reports about 8150-8199 either coming in October or in 2016. We can take up a donation for a tent, bucket and thermos with Hot Chocolate(no refills) for you to keep watch there if you like.... :D

Where? Andre said 8150-8199 in October, and the Press Release said that the 125 buses would be in 2016.

There were certain postings about 23 buses not yet assembled, but then the question would be why anything over 8149 is being delayed for a couple of months?. Remember, a couple of months ago,people were convinced that 8100s were assembled and nothing had been delivered yet, then they appeared almost all at once.

-Rations, razor and hygienic products not included. You'll have to purchase these or end up looking like Tom Hanks from "Cast Away".

I'll take the easy way by trying to work for CTA! xD

I think they have only moved a couple Chicago novas because they are trying to justify when fg only gets 17 more #6400 buses when they get the other 50 #8100's. I don't think fg is getting nf's at all. Looks to me like they will avoid this at all costs even if it means surplus buses somewhere else. I see fg getting #8200-#8324 and keeping the #6400's. Maybe they figure they can replace 250 buses with 125. With what they've done with Chicago taking off a few spares, about 20 buses out of 50, then conceivably they could take 60 away from fg. So maybe they could replace 185 buses with 125. That would leave 65 old buses. If they really wanted to keep away the nf's all they would have to do is assign #76 to Chicago again or possibly the #77. That would take away 60 more buses. In a weird way that would work. That's the only way they could keep away the nf's and can the old buses.

• Upvote 1

Well the Novas at Chicago might in a little better shape than some at FG(there was a post about one having an issue and another having a repeated dying motor at a bus terminal). The ones that are worse for wear can be retired with these 17, then it'll have to be onto the New Flyers after that.

Right now, with bus roulette going on at FG, having a large amount of Novas might be a good thing as it's a question of "Which is road ready today?" probably start of every run.

This last batch from Chicago was bad. #6472 came out on Monday made a left on harlem at higgins (maybe he was trying to get in place) then about 30 minutes later came back and pulled in. So maybe he got to do 1/2 to 1/4 of his tripper service. I notice alot of the base order buses seem to be playing out. The option buses seem passable, but they are newer. Probably the worst buses are the #6400's and #6600's, but then again about half to 3/4 of those are gone already. 

Edited by BusHunter

I think they have only moved a couple Chicago novas because they are trying to justify when fg only gets 17 more #6400 buses when they get the other 50 #8100's. I don't think fg is getting nf's at all. Looks to me like they will avoid this at all costs even if it means surplus buses somewhere else. I see fg getting #8200-#8324 and keeping the #6400's. Maybe they figure they can replace 250 buses with 125. With what they've done with Chicago taking off a few spares, about 20 buses out of 50, then conceivably they could take 60 away from fg. So maybe they could replace 185 buses with 125. That would leave 65 old buses. If they really wanted to keep away the nf's all they would have to do is assign #76 to Chicago again or possibly the #77. That would take away 60 more buses. In a weird way that would work. That's the only way they could keep away the nf's and can the old buses.

I went by Chicago Ave on friday to check on our Flxible  I spoke to a couple of employees there, they tell me the remaining 6400s there will go to FG as their new Novas arrive!. BTW, adding insult to injury, my Flxible was dead!  LOL!    Also ABC7 Chicago tonight Chuck Goudie ITeam will investigate the rash of CTA bus accidents. 

Edited by Guest

I went by Chicago Ave on friday to check on our Flxible  I spoke to a couple of employees there, they tell me the remaining 6400s there will go to FG as their new Novas arrive!. BTW, adding insult to injury, my Flxible was dead!  LOL!    Also ABC7 Chicago tonight Chuck Goudie ITeam will investigate the rash of CTA bus accidents. 

Surprise, Surprise. 9_9 At least these will be alot better than the last ones. I haven't heard nothing bad about #6796 or #6797 probably cause they are newer. I haven't heard of nothing retiring at fg, but they really need to can these older #6400's from Chicago. Those were worse than what they had. It was pretty good when they did the group low bus retiring for summer pick, they need to do another one.