7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

No doubt 8150-8199 will go to Chicago. The option to arrive in 2016(8200-8324) is a mystery. It should be FG, but K and 1 are probably no doubt in the mix.

Why would they be in the mix?  They have NEVER been assigned Novas.  NP, which briefly had them, would be more of a surer bet.  However I believe the consensus is that FG will get them.

Indeed! I'm trying to have a better understanding besides the sneeze guards why some operators at 74th and 77th don't even like them. Hell, if they don't like it then do Forest Glen a favor! :)

I even heard few from Chicago Garage said that they'll rather drive 6400s Old Novas over New 7900s.  Oh well well well!!!

Why would they be in the mix?  They have NEVER been assigned Novas.  NP, which briefly had them, would be more of a surer bet.  However I believe the consensus is that FG will get them.

You can never predict what the CTA will do. Logic dictates they should go to FG, but CTA could throw a curveball and put them at either K or 1 and transfer New Flyers to FG.

NP is a similar setup to FG(being outdoors).

No doubt 8150-8199 will go to Chicago. The option to arrive in 2016(8200-8324) is a mystery. It should be FG, but K and 1 are probably no doubt in the mix.

Unless somebody at CTA is smoking something, it's very unlikely K and 1 are in the mix.

Very true, though K and 1 were propped up with 6400s for a brief time in 2008 when the 7500s got yanked from service abruptly after one came up with that structural failure of the articulation joint that was severe enough for CTA to finally say that's it.

I even heard few from Chicago Garage said that they'll rather drive 6400s Old Novas over New 7900s.  Oh well well well!!!

And Chicago was also the garage that had operators saying they'd rather drive 5300s over 1000s in spite of the 5300s (and 4400s for that matter) being on their last legs at the time. So that garage has a history in its short life of operators being resistant to change when new buses get delivered. It's quite ironically possible the operators there didn't like driving the 6400s they're now so fond of back when they were brand new and first getting assigned to that garage 13-14 years ago. It's also why I don't give those kinds of statements from that garage's operators too much stock.

• Upvote 5

Yesterday driving past NP, an 8100 was coming out of the garage EB. It had the (5999) in the run box. Obviously a mechanic or servicer behind the wheel. 

Yesterday driving past NP, an 8100 was coming out of the garage EB. It had the (5999) in the run box. Obviously a mechanic or servicer behind the wheel. 

At NP?....... I wonder about this, but only time will tell. Are they going to do some 50/50 split of the 8100's(8100-8149 at C and 8150-8199 to NP)? Just speculation about a 8100 at NP being operated by either a mechanic or servicer, as service is usually done at South Shops for buses.

At NP?....... I wonder about this, but only time will tell. Are they going to do some 50/50 split of the 8100's(8100-8149 at C and 8150-8199 to NP)? Just speculation about a 8100 at NP being operated by either a mechanic or servicer, as service is usually done at South Shops for buses.

He said it had a 5 in the run box.

The ATU241 materials indicate that some inspection shop work has been moved to NP (complaint there was from FG).

He said it had a 5 in the run box.

The ATU241 materials indicate that some inspection shop work has been moved to NP (complaint there was from FG).

Right and a 5 garage code indicates CHICAGO garage. Notice he also said that a mechanic was at the wheel, which gibes with what Busjack mentioned about an inspection shop being at NP that was previously located elsewhere. So the bus was getting some type of inspection, not getting assigned at NP. As I mentioned last night, Andre reported that the other 50 (8150-99) are not due until next month, another detail that says there is no 50/50 split going on. NP is not in the mix any more than your thought that K or 1 might be, despite the rotating allotment of 20 6400s that used to be assigned to NP but got moved out quite some time ago, some months earlier than the big 77th 6400 purge if I remember right. 

...despite the rotating allotment of 20 6400s that used to be assigned to NP but got moved out quite some time ago, some months earlier than the big 77th 6400 purge if I remember right. 

The only justification for that allotment was that the traffic signal priority experiment on Western was still ongoing after Archer closed, but apparently not long thereafter.

The only justification for that allotment was that the traffic signal priority experiment on Western was still ongoing after Archer closed, but apparently not long thereafter.

Very true and it and 74th gained shared coverage of the #49 after Archer's closing. Or that could be considered regained if you're one who looks at 74th as being the continuation of 69th after that garage closed and consider the fact that NP and 69th previously had assignment of #49 before Archer did.

 In total, there are 1,891 vehicles in CTA’s bus fleet. This includes 1,575 diesel standard buses, 8 hybrid and 2 electric standard buses, 240 hybrid articulated buses, and 66 diesel articulated buses. CTA has received 250 new 2014 Nova buses, 50 new buses since the start of the summer pick.  An additional 50 buses from this original contract will begin to arrive in October.

 New Flyer 1000 series buses have completed their Mid-Life Overhaul (MLO) program. The retirement of the 2000 Nova buses was on hold during MLO, despite receiving new Novas – the fleet size has grown by 40 buses since the start of summer pick.

 Inclusive of extras, the current spare ratioacross the fleet is 18.6%. The spare ratio is 18.2% for standard buses and 20.9% for articulated buses. At the garage level, spare ratios are highest at 103rd, North Park and Forest Glen and lowest at Kedzie and 77th St garages.

Spare ratios include 27 standard and 2 articulated extra buses scheduled on top of peak service. Extras are up by 20 buses (across most garages) due to school requirements; these may continue to shift over the next several weeks.

 The average age of thefleet is 7.5 years, 7.9 years for standards and 5.2 years for articulated buses, inching down for standard buses over the past several picks as the 2014 Novas enter service. The average age of the fleet in this pick ranges from 5.2 years at 74th Street garageto 13.6 years at the Forest Glen garage.

 With the fleet total increasing in advance of the retirement of the 2000 Novas, the bus assignment at each garage, with the exception of 77th Street, currently exceeds design capacity. Kedzie garage is the highest with 58 “standard bus equivalents” over its design capacity. Assignments at 103rd, Chicago, North Park, Forest Glen and 74th St are 35, 34, 32, 30, and 3 “standard bus equivalent(s)” (or 174 in total) over their design capacity, respectively.

(from an official report - note 801 and 809 have been retired)

Edited by andrethebusman
  • Upvote 4

Is it true that there are Nova Artics LFS at S. Shop

Doubtful, though an artic may be possible if Nova is showing off a LFS Artic model to Nova Bus customers to entice them when they are ready to purchase 60' buses. There was a demo of the restyled Nova Bus LFS a couple years ago at 77th before the bid went out and was accepted for the now 425 Novas.

 Inclusive of extras, the current spare ratioacross the fleet is 18.6%. The spare ratio is 18.2% for standard buses and 20.9% for articulated buses. At the garage level, spare ratios are highest at 103rd, North Park and Forest Glen and lowest at Kedzie and 77th St garages.

Spare ratios include 27 standard and 2 articulated extra buses scheduled on top of peak service. Extras are up by 20 buses (across most garages) due to school requirements; these may continue to shift over the next several weeks.

Not said is that using this math, there are 350 spare buses, out of which 29 are needed for extras. Maybe on a percentage basis it isn't that excessive, but it does explain the bloat, and the rest explains why the Novas of the base and option 1 (6708 and below) should be gone real soon.

 With the fleet total increasing in advance of the retirement of the 2000 Novas, the bus assignment at each garage, with the exception of 77th Street, currently exceeds design capacity. Kedzie garage is the highest with 58 “standard bus equivalents” over its design capacity. Assignments at 103rd, Chicago, North Park, Forest Glen and 74th St are 35, 34, 32, 30, and 3 “standard bus equivalent(s)” (or 174 in total) over their design capacity, respectively.

232 over indicates that they already have the justification for the Fisk Garage, although K has been seriously over ever since it got the NABI artics. Of course, Andre's comment was prefaced as I underscored above.