7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

1 hour ago, Dawnlight said:

Actually what was the bus delivery order for the 6400 series Novas? Was it similar to the 7900's? Wasn't FG the second to last garage to receive them? 

I wonder if FG would still have 1000's if the 7900's delivery wasn't occurring concurrently with the 1000's rehab project?

No, Forest Glen was the last.

There was a base and 2 options, originally for 150 each,  and 150 buses were supposed to be delivered a year, but the base was delayed and arrived at about the same time as Option 1, and some Option 1 buses were at 77th before being permanently assigned to A. Also, somehow the total went to 484.

Anyway, the breakdown was essentially

6400-6515-77th

6516-6632-Archer

6633-6708-Chicago (end of Option 1)

6708-6755-C (Option 2)

6756-6883-FG.

These may be off 1 or 2 at the margin.

As has been noted before, the first 3 garages seemed justified on an average age basis as they had 5300s. However, before that FG had traded its 5300s to K to get 6000s, because 6000s had preheaters, so it had a newer fleet compared to the other garages, while K had only a beat up fleet.

Also, at some point during the Huberman years, there was a swap between C and A and A became all Nova. Those were split up when A closed.

FG had a few in the 1150-1210 range after A closed, but no explanation why they did not stick.

On 11/20/2015, 6:55:56, jajuan said:

And that's understood, yet also has been acknowledged several times over (though I think the count might be closer to 2 years though it may feel like 3 as the big 77th Garage Nova purge was February of last year and FG had 1000s before that still). That still doesn't change my past observations or Art's current ones that debunk the premise that FG and the far NW side are signaled out for CTA's oldest equipment. How about everyone let the deliveries of the 8200s unfold before jumping to call conspiracy. Not only that, everyone remember this the next time another 74th type situation happens on the south and west sides like initially happened with the 6000s and everyone poo pooed the thoughts that that situation was wrong when 74th wasn't even going to get 1000s at all, which soon changed to they were only going to get 30 and no more after about that number of 6000s died suddenly beyond any feasible means to keep repairing them. 

For BusHunter and myself, It just itches the question as to why!!!  Why does CTA allow some areas of the city to have new/good buses and trains while other areas have to deal with aged equipment? This is common practice at CTA. I for one would be satisfied seeing every area of the city, every operating facility with some if not, all new equipment. Every CTA facility should show the same level of service and equipment. One should not be more than the other. Fairness and equality is what CTA management should be practicing!  It would only make better sense to bring morale up and allow for better and safer working conditions. I know as a former operator how my work ethic was. I did my very best to help my passengers. Granted i didnt always have all the answers, it certainly wasant easy dealing with the traffic, verbal abuse or other issues! But I still took a lot of pride in my work. It pains me to see how CTA practices are. Im convinced with very little doubt, as with everything else in this city, this is politically motivated.   

14 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

CTAs practices are no doubt, as with everything else in this city politically motivated.   

Again, I'm not sure. It seems like it is part of the philosophy at both CTA and Pace to reduce the number of series at each garage for inventory purposes. Not much different than Pace NW immediately going from mostly old to mostly new.

Of course,the other issue is CTA keeping around at least 100 buses and 100 rail cars that should have been scrapped by now.

Also, it appears that Emanuel has much bigger political issues at the moment, like finding a police chief and averting a second teachers' strike. I find it notable the report in the CTA Tattler that Carter says there's no need for a bailout and the funding formula is fine. Maybe he is trying to depoliticize that issue.

I don't get it, if there are spares why aren't the #6400's those spares? Why do they need spare new/rehabbed buses? Carter seems to be making some of the better decisions of a CTA Pres as of late, perhaps there may be #1000 swap in the pipeline for 60 buses, cause it seems there may be that many #6400's without updated clever devices. If you bookmark what I've listed on the rosters for no updated cd's at fg, you'll see the figures support what I'm mentioning here. And then they throw out on the budget that all buses with have updated clever devices by years end. So i would be highly suspicious of a swap for the winter pick. If it doesn't happen, then it will probably be a nova nightmare until Spring or May 1st at least. Maybe we need to set up a countdown clock. :PxD

On 12/1/2015, 1:29:15, CTA5750 said:

For BusHunter and myself, It just itches the question as to why!!!  Why does CTA allow some areas of the city to have new/good buses and trains while other areas have to deal with aged equipment? This is common practice at CTA. I for one would be satisfied seeing every area of the city, every operating facility with some if not, all new equipment. Every CTA facility should show the same level of service and equipment. One should not be more than the other. Fairness and equality is what CTA management should be practicing!  It would only make better sense to bring morale up and allow for better and safer working conditions. I know as a former operator how my work ethic was. I did my very best to help my passengers. Granted i didnt always have all the answers, it certainly wasant easy dealing with the traffic, verbal abuse or other issues! But I still took a lot of pride in my work. It pains me to see how CTA practices are. Im convinced with very little doubt, as with everything else in this city, this is politically motivated.   

And how many times has EVERYONE practically agreed that FG being stocked with nothing but retirement age buses and the Blue Line with all cars from the oldest series is stupid? Yet somehow you manage to keep conveniently ignoring that in this crusade that only the NW Side is singled out for old equipment when the evidence has said otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

As of today, no more 8100's appearing on production schedule at Nova. They finished off SEPTA Artics, now working on NYCTA and Hamilton ONT.

9 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Don't they have to pay CTA for this delay?

I believe it was established that CTA is not going to be getting any more Novas until early 2016(maybe more toward Feb-Mar, this was a planned break in production from CTA). Nova Bus in the meanwhile, needs to process orders to stay in business, so it seems prudent to work on some NYCTA and Hamilton ONT buses. Probably after this group of buses are finished, they'll finish 8178-8199 and eventually begin 8200-8299(the start of the final option).

5 hours ago, sw4400 said:

I believe it was established that CTA is not going to be getting any more Novas until early 2016(maybe more toward Feb-Mar, this was a planned break in production from CTA). Nova Bus in the meanwhile, needs to process orders to stay in business, so it seems prudent to work on some NYCTA and Hamilton ONT buses. Probably after this group of buses are finished, they'll finish 8178-8199 and eventually begin 8200-8299(the start of the final option).

Don't u mean 8200-8324? The final option CTA said they wanted to exercise was for an additional 125 out of the max extra 150. Not 100.

2 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Don't u mean 8200-8324? The final option CTA said they wanted to exercise was for an additional 125 out of the max extra 150. Not 100.

Well, first 8178-8199 have to be built in Plattsburgh, then after that 8200-8299 will be built(that might take most of 2016 in-between the other bus orders Nova is working on). 8300-8324 will be built either near the tail end of 2016 or perhaps not until 2017, depending on production schedule.

4 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Well, first 8178-8199 have to be built in Plattsburgh, then after that 8200-8299 will be built(that might take most of 2016 in-between the other bus orders Nova is working on). 8300-8324 will be built either near the tail end of 2016 or perhaps not until 2017, depending on production schedule.

True that might be how things unfold, given CTA's wording in the budget for what they expect for Smart buses coming in 2016 and also depending on what production schedule CTA agreed to for the upcoming year. But I was getting at how you worded your prior response. Your clarification here indicates you meant from the final option. The way you worded it makes it sound like you think the 7900s will only go up to 8299 upon delivery completion. xD

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2015 at 1:17 AM, geneking7320 said:

This past Tuesday I rode an 8000 on #62 and the bus had no ad cards and that 'new vehicle' smell.

There is not much interior ad card space at all for the new 7900-series Novas. It is only on a portion of the right hand side of the bus. There is no area for the entire left hand side.

On 1/2/2016 at 6:52 PM, pudgym29 said:

There is not much interior ad card space at all for the new 7900-series Novas. It is only on a portion of the right hand side of the bus. There is no area for the entire left hand side.

True, but that's not necessarily what he was getting at. #8000 is about a year old now and I think he might have been referencing that surprisingly the bus still felt like a brand spanking new bus after a year's time.:P It's basically one of those moments of encountering the bus in service relatively soon after a good cleaning and maintenance check while still at the garage.

On December 31, 2015 at 1:17 AM, geneking7320 said:

This past Tuesday I rode an 8000 on #62 and the bus had no ad cards and that 'new vehicle' smell. xD

I noticed my new Nova barely had any ads at all as well, but it needed a little floor scrubbing because of all the salt and dirt from shoes. Rode one for the first time today on the 8.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to tell you guys that 74th's 8024 was spotted at 103rd monday afternoon around 1 p.m. I nearly flipped out when I saw it cause I didn't know if it was doing a route or not lol but it was an instruction bus where a few mins later I saw about 5 or 6 operators get on that bus. But still what a sight to see the newest equiptment at my garage. But our system pick is coming soon and I'm going over to 77th or 74th garage so I'll be able to drive those new novas on a regular lol.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Forgot to tell you guys that 74th's 8024 was spotted at 103rd monday afternoon around 1 p.m. I nearly flipped out when I saw it cause I didn't know if it was doing a route or not lol but it was an instruction bus where a few mins later I saw about 5 or 6 operators get on that bus. But still what a sight to see the newest equiptment at my garage. But our system pick is coming soon and I'm going over to 77th or 74th garage so I'll be able to drive those new novas on a regular lol.

System pick? We'are barely into the winter pick and spring doesn't usually start till March. Whats supposed to happen with this pick?

1 hour ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I think this safely can tell us where 8200-8324 are destined to go.... 103rd(Instruction Bus there pretty much tells the story)..... FG better like the big yellow bus.... that's what's replacing the 6400's there. Going from Cummins ISC to International 7.3L.

School Buses.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sw4400 said:

I think this safely can tell us where 8200-8324 are destined to go.... 103rd(Instruction Bus there pretty much tells the story)..... FG better like the big yellow bus.... that's what's replacing the 6400's there. Going from Cummins ISC to International 7.3L.

School Buses.jpg

Well not so fast that bus was only there cause they were doing bus maneuvers along with a few buses from my garage. New part time operators are still coming in so they were training. I would love if those novas were coming to 103rd but that's not the case lol.

8 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Well not so fast that bus was only there cause they were doing bus maneuvers along with a few buses from my garage. New part time operators are still coming in so they were training. I would love if those novas were coming to 103rd but that's not the case lol.

Thanks for the explanation. Apparently it was not the some omen as 6712 and 6715 being sighted at FG in 2002.

But why was the training there? Closest place to Olive Harvey? No artics  at 74th?

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Thanks for the explanation. Apparently it was not the some omen as 6712 and 6715 being sighted at FG in 2002.

But why was the training there? Closest place to Olive Harvey? No artics  at 74th?

My guess is that 103rd along with 77th both do the training course obstacles and maneuvers. When I started i did mine at 77th but now 103rd got in the mix ?.

12 hours ago, Sam92 said:

System pick? We'are barely into the winter pick and spring doesn't usually start till March. Whats supposed to happen with this pick?

The winter pick wont be affected its just we pick later this month/ early feb but the system pick won't go into effect until march. 

22 hours ago, Sam92 said:

10 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

The winter pick wont be affected its just we pick later this month/ early feb but the system pick won't go into effect until march. 

Right operators still need to put in their choices a decent amount of time before the given pick is effective for the public so that on the operations side of the equation the operators have enough notice of if they're changing work times, changing their routes driven or actually changing to a whole new garage. when the pick actually starts. Don't forget Sam, part of the pick process is the operators getting a chance to make a bid to change their work times and environment in addition to the adjustment of schedules and if necessary change in bus assignments at garages. The parts of the process that effects the operators needs to be done before the parts that effect us the passengers gets implemented.