7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

20 minutes ago, Johnny 5 said:

Oh, OK. Perhaps get the older buses some new seats and new lighting for energy efficiency, as well as repainting some parts of the bus that's rusted and grotty.

They aren't going to put money into future scrap. Only the ones in fair condition will be saved.

A Nova Bus is made with a stainless steel frame and thermoplastic shell. There's nothing, at least on the surface, to rust.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Now you're changing  the rules. I thought this was a cage match where no rules apply. 

Looks like he got you BH.xD

6 minutes ago, Busjack said:

They aren't going to put money into future scrap. Only the ones in fair condition will be saved.

A Nova Bus is made with a stainless steel frame and thermoplastic shell. There's nothing, at least on the surface, to rust.

I think he was saying do something about the deterioration of the skin that some of the buses have, but it's probably better to just count those among the ones that they actually will retire soon in favor of ones in better condition since as you pointed out they aren't going to do anything big with buses set to be gone in the next couple of years. 

And Sw, I agree with Busjack and BH that CTA is bringing 8090 back since for one they did award a contract. You likely wouldn't have been able to quote a repair price otherwise. Plus past history with the New Flyer buses like 1148 and 4327 for example show that buses with a significant amount of body damage can and do come back. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, jajuan said:

I think he was saying do something about the deterioration of the skin that some of the buses have

But as I said, the skin on a Nova can't rust. From what others have said, and the picture of 4333 melting down in the fire, it doesn't look like the skin of any bus in the current fleet can rust, since they are all some sort of composite plastic. It could be like some 4400s, which showed glass fibers, but that's about it.

16 minutes ago, Busjack said:

But as I said, the skin on a Nova can't rust. From what others have said, and the picture of 4333 melting down in the fire, it doesn't look like the skin of any bus in the current fleet can rust, since they are all some sort of composite plastic. It could be like some 4400s, which showed glass fibers, but that's about it.

I get and know that, but I think you're misunderstanding me a bit. The deterioration I noted and what I think he was getting at was a breaking up of the skin on some buses near the bumpers and along the lower part of the bus at points along the the body above the lower panels. Some of the deterioration is bad enough to show reveal some discoloration and even open small holes in the buses' skin. I think he was observing that same thing and misstated it as being rust. Remember not all members,especially if they're among our newer members, will know a bus's skin is made of composite materials in these recent times like you, some others and I do. But at any rate, my prior post still stands in my agreement with you that it's better to place a bus like that in the very soon to retire group in favor of buses of better condition to keep towards the 2018 FY.

1 hour ago, garmon757 said:

No I'm thinking of #1148 for a reason. #1148 was the bus that smacked into a rail overpass support beam on Western while still assigned to 74th. It got repaired within a couple months as I recall, shortly before being transferred briefly to NP and then to Chicago, I think back to 74th for a while, and now at 103rd. You snapped the picture of the damage as a matter fact now that I think about it. At any rate, it's coming back from that kind of damage is why I used it as an example. Plus it's a similar scenario to #8090 in having bad front end damage that CTA will get repaired to place the bus back in service.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jajuan said:

No I'm thinking of #1148 for a reason. #1148 was the bus that smacked into a rail overpass support beam on Western while still assigned to 74th. It got repaired within a couple months as I recall, shortly before being transferred briefly to NP and then to Chicago, I think back to 74th for a while, and now at 103rd. You snapped the picture of the damage as a matter fact now that I think about it. At any rate, it's coming back from that kind of damage is why I used it as an example. Plus it's a similar scenario to #8090 in having bad front end damage that CTA will get repaired to place the bus back in service.

Ooooooh I see where you're coming from! My bad!

Definitely a different brand of bike rack. This would be at least the third kind CTA has used. The original red ones with the spring loaded small looks on the ends, the black plastic ones with the yellow hooks, and now these. Let's see if there is a pattern as to which 82-8300's get them. On the older buses, when an original one breaks, it is replaced by a black plastic one. Is CTA trying out another type or did Nova run out of the other ones?

On 8/24/2016 at 10:50 PM, BusHunter said:

Hmm look what I came across.... Mr McMahon!! Now where's my gold ring and cash prize??!!

cta 8324 testing on the 53.PNG

(This is a dramatization, events have been changed to protect the innocent, me!!)

57bdd18236b4c_VinceMcMahonBlank2.jpg.07862bc41b14e6628c3be27bfa0b15f6.jpg

And now presenting on the #77,

cta 8324 take 2.png

Well maybe not for real...

Looks like you guys have another riddle to figure out. This one I think is more clever. The other one was too easy. The winner gets to train my dog Spike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBl76lmp-d0

(not really my dog)

2 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The winner gets to train my dog Spike.

(not really my dog)

The old dog in the mirror routine, often on America's Funniest Home Videos, although cats are better.

Someone posted on a similar Mother Goose and Grimm that dogs get freaked because they can't smell the dog in the mirror. At least this one could after he fogged the mirror.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:57 PM, BusHunter said:

And now presenting on the #77,

cta 8324 take 2.png

Well maybe not for real...

Looks like you guys have another riddle to figure out. This one I think is more clever. The other one was too easy. The winner gets to train my dog Spike.

(not really my dog)

"Nice try, pally.... but I expect a real image to get the Nova Bus Championship!!! Maybe you need a little 'stunning' reminder of that!!!"

Vince McMahon Blank 4.jpg

18 hours ago, sw4400 said:

"Nice try, pally.... but I expect a real image to get the Nova Bus Championship!!! Maybe you need a little 'stunning' reminder of that!!!"

Vince McMahon Blank 4.jpg

At least I got the garage right!! xD So these two operators yesterday get on the bus and one talks about how hot it is in the back of the new buses. We were on an #8200. They mentioned that they don't know why the mechanics don't turn down the AC temp. Then they were feeling the vents. (No dice guys I tried that 9_9) Then one says he just got off a bus that wasn't even blowing cold air in the operators cab. He said "these buses are only good for driving" So i guess I'm not crazy here. The #4000 I was on on the #124 was delightful later that same day. I don't know somehow I see these buses in the future possibly being retrofitted with opening windows because if the AC is bad now and it's a new bus what will it be like in 5 years?