7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

6 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Don't forget Gillig, probably THE most common bus in the US.

We can forget Gillig. You explain why it can't get a CTA or Pace contract, including that it apparently no bid the Pace Trolley contract, as it has a product, but it was said at the board meeting that some other company would not bid because it would not put the same camera system on the trolleys as is on Pace buses. If it can't do that, it would seem unable to bid anything around here.

I looked back at the Addendum for this procurement, and nobody from Gillig was at the pre-bid meeting.

Gillig's site doesn't mention anything about a battery electric bus.

Also, I find it hard to believe that it is "THE most common bus in the US," since NF keeps picking up contracts, including in NYC and LA, and has 4 plants assembling transit buses.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

We can forget Gillig. You explain why it can't get a CTA or Pace contract, including that it apparently no bid the Pace Trolley contract, as it has a product, but it was said at the board meeting that some other company would not bid because it would not put the same camera system on the trolleys as is on Pace buses. If it can't do that, it would seem unable to bid anything around here.

I looked back at the Addendum for this procurement, and nobody from Gillig was at the pre-bid meeting.

Also, I find it hard to believe that it is "THE most common bus in the US," since NF keeps picking up contracts, including in NYC and LA, and has 4 plants assembling transit buses.

New Flyer of America and Nova Bus will most likely be the two manufacturers vying for contracts for new buses the CTA wants. Both are getting contracts in the U.S(New Flyer a bit more due to being here longer since Nova left and returned a few years ago). Both can produce Clean Diesel, Hybrid Diesel/Electric and All-Electric Buses. New Flyer's Xcelsior Electric Bus is available in 35', 40' and 60', according to specs. NovaBus' LFE is only available in 40' according to the specs I can find on their site. But I'm sure once they get the 40' tested and refined, they can transfer that to their 62' Articulated model. There still is time until 2020, when the 4000-Series Artics begin to reach their 12-year mark and we'll see what CTA plans to do with them.

So, unless another major player comes along, it'll be New Flyer and Nova here in Chicago, I'm sure. No NABI..... and not much else.

24 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

There still is time until 2020, when the 4000-Series Artics begin to reach their 12-year mark and we'll see what CTA plans to do with them.

The 2016 capital plan only mentions replacing 1000s by 2020, and then has money for only a few of them (page 70).

Page 69 has:

The CTA has programmed $22.4 million in FY 2016-2020. This installment of funding with prior funds will provide for the overhaul of 208 Articulated Hybrid Buses.

So, that's all that is planned.

4 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The 2016 capital plan only mentions replacing 1000s by 2020, and then has money for only a few of them (page 70).

Page 69 has:

The CTA has programmed $22.4 million in FY 2016-2020. This installment of funding with prior funds will provide for the overhaul of 208 Articulated Hybrid Buses.

So, that's all that is planned.

Well, the retirement of the 1000's will have to be done in stages, being there are over 1,000 of them. FY 2020-2024 budget should take care of the remaining buses, I'm sure.

18 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Well, the retirement of the 1000's will have to be done in stages, being there are over 1,000 of them. FY 2020-2024 budget should take care of the remaining buses, I'm sure.

But the point was that nothing other than the overhauls will be done to or with the 4000s until that is completed or nearly completed.

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

New Flyer of America and Nova Bus will most likely be the two manufacturers vying for contracts for new buses the CTA wants. Both are getting contracts in the U.S(New Flyer a bit more due to being here longer since Nova left and returned a few years ago). Both can produce Clean Diesel, Hybrid Diesel/Electric and All-Electric Buses. New Flyer's Xcelsior Electric Bus is available in 35', 40' and 60', according to specs. NovaBus' LFE is only available in 40' according to the specs I can find on their site. But I'm sure once they get the 40' tested and refined, they can transfer that to their 62' Articulated model. There still is time until 2020, when the 4000-Series Artics begin to reach their 12-year mark and we'll see what CTA plans to do with them.

So, unless another major player comes along, it'll be New Flyer and Nova here in Chicago, I'm sure. No NABI..... and not much else.

Would Nova even qualify for an artic contract having a 62' model? Or are the extra 2 feet negligible compared to the former issue of the current artics being to larger for 74th to house them? 

19 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Would Nova even qualify for an artic contract having a 62' model? Or are the extra 2 feet negligible compared to the former issue of the current artics being to larger for 74th to house them? 

Specs usually say 59'-62' bumper to bumper (Item TS 6.1 of this procurement). The extra length is under the nose, not where the bus would be hoisted.

An Xcelsoor is 60' 10" (specs). A 40 footer is 41.

8 hours ago, Busjack said:

Gilligs exist in more cities than any other make of bus. New Flyer tends to have the bigger orders, but Gillig has more customers.

I find it hard to believe that Gillig refused to bid because of a camera system. More likely, they figured Champion has PACE sewed up for the past several years, and intend to do so in the future.

2 minutes ago, Johnny 5 said:

YAYYYY! The 8300 is in service today on the #77! :D:D:x

And if it stays out I'll get a picture. :D #8299 yesterday, I was all set up to intercept at the west half of #77 then out of the blue a supervisor changes it's destination from harlem to blue line. (missed it by 10 minutes!!) I'm going to have to have a talk with Reggie. (just kidding, probably was an east end supervisor who switched him)

50 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

And if it stays out I'll get a picture. :D #8299 yesterday, I was all set up to intercept at the west half of #77 then out of the blue a supervisor changes it's destination from harlem to blue line. (missed it by 10 minutes!!) I'm going to have to have a talk with Reggie. (just kidding, probably was an east end supervisor who switched him)

Can I quote you on a picture for this guy??? :PxD He hates being disappointed....

Vince McMahon Blank 1.jpg

4 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Can I quote you on a picture for this guy??? :PxD He hates being disappointed....

According to the Taz program on CBS Sports Radio, SummerSlam was disappointing, the only good match was Charlotte vs. Banks, and Randy Orton was not supposed to juice.

Yikes!! fell asleep on you guys!! But here is #8300

cta 8300 front on 77.PNG

cta 8300 rear on 77.PNG

#8295:

cta 8295 rear on 77.PNG

And for a bonus here is #8295 at night time. Better late than never!! Reggie and the gang must have rounded up #8299 and sent it my way. I saw it going east #8300's follower, I believe. Unfortunately I don't have all night here. I'll have to pursue it next time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Yikes!! fell asleep on you guys!! But here is #8300

cta 8300 front on 77.PNG

cta 8300 rear on 77.PNG

#8295:

cta 8295 rear on 77.PNG

And for a bonus here is #8295 at night time. Better late than never!! Reggie and the gang must have rounded up #8299 and sent it my way. I saw it going east #8300's follower, I believe. Unfortunately I don't have all night here. I'll have to pursue it next time.

Vince McMahon Meme 12.png

• Upvote 1