700-series XE40 - Deliveries & Assignments

Kevin

Damn WGN just had on the news about 3 minutes ago that the electric buses would be going in service today. They said not only would they serve downtown, but they would serve the near west side so sounds like they may serve more than #124.

The press release says #7, 120, 121, 124 and 157

Now you have something, including the potential routes (K routes mostly serving downtown). I suppose that someone would have to be wired into BusTracker to pin one down for a ride.

Note also that the article says that the chargers will be in the garage, and that they think a charge would last for a day. That appears to rule out the pantograph type chargers outside shown in the Manitoba video.

The CTA Press Release inadvertently said why these buses don't pay for themselves in an economic sense:

"Saves the CTA more than $25,000 annually in net fuel costs per bus, or more than $300,000 over the expected 12-year bus lifespan."

Thus, assuming that these buses last 12 years (and from the 5900s and 900s you can't assume that), they are still approximately $400K more than a diesel bus ($1.2 million cost minus $300K fuel savings minus $488K cost of a 2014 Nova).

Damn WGN just had on the news about 3 minutes ago that the electric buses would be going in service today. They said not only would they serve downtown, but they would serve the near west side so sounds like they may serve more than #124.

A few minutes later..... Sure enough there's a link to the story.

http://wgntv.com/2014/10/29/cta-hits-the-road-with-new-electric-buses

That's a little strange to be testing them out on routes other than the Navy Pier route, don't you think?

That's a little strange to be testing them out on routes other than the Navy Pier route, don't you think?

Not necessarily. All except 7 are short downtown routes.

I had mentioned 124 as a hypothetical that made sense, but apparently the other 1XXs also do. Apparently CTA does not want them full time on a particular route, but someone else's suggestion of 52 and 82 doesn't appear in the cards (or at least the press release).

garmon757 see you finally got those Xcelsior!!!!!!!! Need a full report, how did you like the new 700-series, will be doing a photo shoot of the XE40s very soon!!!!!!!!!

The best I can say about it is that it's extraordinary quiet and spacious my goodness!!! :lol::D I was really shocked to see 4 seats in the front on both sides (reminds me of the Eldorados)! Also, the bus driver was a total prick. Poor attitude and very unprofessional. He should be happy as hell that he had a golden opportunity of driving one of the two buses. I guaranteed you that a ton of drivers at Kedzie were dying to have a run on these buses!!!! :lol: :D

The best I can say about it is that it's extraordinary quiet and spacious my goodness!!! :lol::D I was really shocked to see 4 seats in the front on both sides (reminds me of the Eldorados)! Also, the bus driver was a total prick. Poor attitude and very unprofessional. He should be happy as hell that he had a golden opportunity of driving one of the two buses. I guaranteed you that a ton of drivers at Kedzie were dying to have a run on these buses!!!! :lol::D

Those are some really good models by New Flyer, they're stylish but still professional. Can't wait to hear status updates on the 700-series and this kind of "social experiment" that New Flyer is exploring into the electric genre. Sorry to hear about the drivers attitude (that seems to be the case with a lot of drivers) but glad that you finally have an Xcelsior period and it's the Top of the Line Experimental model