700-series XE40 - Deliveries & Assignments

Kevin

Very unusual. But I think I've seen a few destination signs formatted similarly (there aren't many, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a few on the Flyers). I'm wondering if the signs were programmed at New Flyer since it's a completely different system compared to the rest of the newer fleet (starting with the New Flyers, those buses have New Flyers while the 700s have Hannover signs, similar to at least one Flyer at one of the South Side garages a few years ago).

Others have Luminator signs. Some specs indicate that the TA can turn over its destination sign codes to the assembler, though.

Hanover's site indicates that you need Helen software, and we mentioned that Twinvision uses Elyse. Maybe Luminator uses Shirley.

Others have Luminator signs. Some specs indicate that the TA can turn over its destination sign codes to the assembler, though.

Hanover's site indicates that you need Helen software, and we mentioned that Twinvision uses Elyse. Maybe Luminator uses Shirley.

I kinda suspected that CTA sent the sign codes either to New Flyer or Hannover.

And surely you can't be serious about the software used by Luminator (sorry, couldn't resist an "Airplane!" reference).

I kinda suspected that CTA sent the sign codes either to New Flyer or Hannover.

And surely you can't be serious about the software used by Luminator (sorry, couldn't resist an "Airplane!" reference).

I felt there had to be some feminine name connection. Maybe it is Wanda.

BTW, 6441 had an Aesys sign. Indications are that the Aesys and Hanover signs have a more dense dot pitch.

While Winston's mouth quit working, he apparently was not the driver on Garmon's trip. :mellow::lol:

He at least had a better attitude.

Sorry to say, but a lot of these bus operators have a poor atttude! CTA really needs to a better job to address customer service as well as proper training. Lately, Ive been seeing operators displaying really poor attitudes, careless driving habits and Ive been spotting quite a few operators texting,, using a bluetooth device or just tinkering with their cell phones while on duty, which Im sure they know is against the law!!!

Yeah it is getting a bit more out of hand with many of these operators' attitudes and some of them wouldn't have been on the road all that long that day. They just have overall nasty dispositions period. I remember a newer operator doing a layover on the #9 at the Clark/Southport northern terminus trying to get nasty and rudely say to me that I had to walk over to Southport and Belle Plaine stop to board the bus, which I knew was not true because layover zone on Clark is a treated as a service stop by all the other #9 operators which I politely informed her of. And she rudely goes "well you can't still can't get on yet while I'm in layover" and shuts the door in my face. Now I know on some routes the operators won't board passengers yet while in layover but most of them politely inform you of that and will probably say something like well we got a couple minutes before I pull out or the bus that's pulling up behind me is actually the next one leaving, so I wouldn't have argued about the layover point she made. All she had to do was be professional and respectful about it. I'm glad to say it's still a minority of operators who act like this, but it is increasing. On the Claypool firing craze, I actually wonder if the gung ho attitude with firings is actually effecting overall morale, but this wasn't really getting as bad until Claypool took over. At least in my experience with it.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how passengers are getting used to that Xcelsior standard of the one single longitudinal seat on each side at the rear of the bus.

I didn't notice that until you mentioned it (and in fact had not looked at BusHunter's gallery until now).

Possibly the more relevant question is whether there is leg room in the cross seats in front of it (image 6 of 13). Usually there are 3 longitudinal seats over the wheel well, but the one is only over the rear portion of it.

Some told me to stay on that bus last night!!! I told my children's mom that I hope you weren't stalking me getting some shots of #701!!! :lol::P

I bet that driver got a good laugh at all of us, but we can't help it, we're busfans!! :lol: I was trying to figure out how you could ride the bus take a picture at State and run over to Congress Plaza, but damn i should have thought of that. But if the operator does a quick turnaround then you are SOL. Seemed like that driver was pretty patient with you letting you take pictures of him in the operators chair. Heck i know operators that would have had the CPD coming with the first shot or at least threaten it. So how did you like that tank sneeze guard? I guess this is going to be on all buses from now on.

Me personally I didn't get on until Union Station west and took the tour around UIC campus. Some other fan got on the bus at Peoria or Morgan and was wide eyed and smiling from ear to ear. I couldn't help but get a chuckle out of that. I was wondering if he was maybe a member here. The bus sailed down Harrison as there's not much traffic through the UIC Pavilion area. I think the operator was enjoying himself. I wonder if he is a rodeo winner or anything. I remember when the first #6400 went out a rodeo winner took it out as that's like a special privilege to take out a new bus.

Did you see that two piece KFC chicken dinner at the back of the bus? LOL!! How do you eat a chicken dinner on the bus?

• Upvote 2

Anyone read the CTA's Press Release? Does anyone bother to proofread before typing and posting these?

"We continually pursue the latest technology and innovation to improve service to CTA customers and reduce the agency’s costs,” said President Claypool. “These buses are our latest effort to go ‘green’, in addition to increasing the number of hybrid buses in our fleet, replacing old lighting with energy efficient LED lighting and recycling employee refuse and vehicle materials, such as oil, anti-freeze and batteries.”

Is the CTA saying that CTA Buses run off employees garbage and, dare I say it.... s**t???

2ref·use noun ˈre-ˌfyüs, -ˌfyüz

: something (such as paper or food waste) that has been thrown away : trash or garbage

Full Definition of REFUSE
: the worthless or useless part of something : leavings (This part of the definition makes me think s**t).
: trash, garbage

I bet that driver got a good laugh at all of us, but we can't help it, we're busfans!! :lol: I was trying to figure out how you could ride the bus take a picture at State and run over to Congress Plaza, but damn i should have thought of that. But if the operator does a quick turnaround then you are SOL. Seemed like that driver was pretty patient with you letting you take pictures of him in the operators chair. Heck i know operators that would have had the CPD coming with the first shot or at least threaten it. So how did you like that tank sneeze guard? I guess this is going to be on all buses from now on.

Me personally I didn't get on until Union Station west and took the tour around UIC campus. Some other fan got on the bus at Peoria or Morgan and was wide eyed and smiling from ear to ear. I couldn't help but get a chuckle out of that. I was wondering if he was maybe a member here. The bus sailed down Harrison as there's not much traffic through the UIC Pavilion area. I think the operator was enjoying himself. I wonder if he is a rodeo winner or anything. I remember when the first #6400 went out a rodeo winner took it out as that's like a special privilege to take out a new bus.

Did you see that two piece KFC chicken dinner at the back of the bus? LOL!! How do you eat a chicken dinner on the bus?

I was laughing my ass off when I saw that KFC dinner. I'm sitting here like damn, the bus haven't even operated at least 4 hours and there's litter already! That sneeze guard is HUGE man!!! I bet that driver was talking crap after he arrived to the garage and he was rushing the hell out of me after I asked if I can take a shot of the front interiors! For him to be a line instructor, that's bs man! That's why I got a bad shot (last one) when that prick pulled off. Also, I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the screen on the Clever Device because it was dimmed while grayish.

I was laughing my ass off when I saw that KFC dinner. I'm sitting here like damn, the bus haven't even operated at least 4 hours and there's litter already! That sneeze guard is HUGE man!!! I bet that driver was talking crap after he arrived to the garage and he was rushing the hell out of me after I asked if I can take a shot of the front interiors! For him to be a line instructor, that's bs man! That's why I got a bad shot (last one) when that prick pulled off. Also, I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the screen on the Clever Device because it was dimmed while grayish.

Speaking of the sneeze guard if he get that bus again today I bet hell be quite happy given that today is Halloween AND not to mention its Friday and for us operators depending on the routes and times it's going to be a crappy day with the kids and eggs lol. So glad I'm on vacation but still those sneeze guards will come quite in handy today. Operators driving the 7900's today should be good too lol.

• Upvote 1

For those really curious, the Luminator software is called IPS.

Anyone read the CTA's Press Release? Does anyone bother to proofread before typing and posting these?

"We continually pursue the latest technology and innovation to improve service to CTA customers and reduce the agency’s costs,” said President Claypool. “These buses are our latest effort to go ‘green’, in addition to increasing the number of hybrid buses in our fleet, replacing old lighting with energy efficient LED lighting and recycling employee refuse and vehicle materials, such as oil, anti-freeze and batteries.”

Is the CTA saying that CTA Buses run off employees garbage and, dare I say it.... s**t???

2ref·use noun ˈre-ˌfyüs, -ˌfyüz

: something (such as paper or food waste) that has been thrown away : trash or garbage

Full Definition of REFUSE

: the worthless or useless part of something : leavings (This part of the definition makes me think s**t).

: trash, garbage

There are plenty of words in the English language that have multiple meanings. I don't see what that has to do with proofreading, as the sentence works perfectly well. In fact, I'd say your interpretation of the word is a bit more off than anything. I've heard the noun refuse used far more often in the context of garbage or leftovers than in the context of human or animal excrement.

But if you want to use that to knock CTA, go ahead, I guess.

• Upvote 1

For those really curious, the Luminator software is called IPS.There are plenty of words in the English language that have multiple meanings. I don't see what that has to do with proofreading, as the sentence works perfectly well. In fact, I'd say your interpretation of the word is a bit more off than anything. I've heard the noun refuse used far more often in the context of garbage or leftovers than in the context of human or animal excrement.

But if you want to use that to knock CTA, go ahead, I guess.

I thought I was the only one who read that correctly as the CTA saying it recycled employees' trash in which papers and plastic bottles are immediately come to mind. This wasn't one the usual items like typing say 125 Clarendon/La Salle Express or garbled directions in a reroute notice that makes you go "dang doesn't anyone at CTA proofread?"

Was this on Wednesday the 29th? I'm pretty sure that was me! I remember getting on at Morgan and getting off at Ashland. Seeing that bus definitely made my night! :lol:

Proof is attached just in case.

post-1473-0-28027800-1415061010_thumb.jp

Do you guys think they only have one charger? I keep seeing #700 in the AM and #701 in the PM Seems funny like one charges while the other is in service. But yeah these buses are quiet. It's like damn is this thing on.

No both of them have been out am and pm rush hour 10/30, 10/31 and 11/3.

700 has been on a 121 that leaves Streeterville about 7:30am and returns from Union at 08:10.Not sure where it goes after that.

701 has been on the 157 short due Halsted/ Taylor at 7:45am and then runs a 121 from Union at around 08:05, and later is on 120.

In afternoon 700 does a short on the 7 arriving Clinton/Taylor at 15:55. Today I caught this and the bus turned south on Canal and west on Van Buren (to take up service on 125?). 701 seems to run on the 7 passing UIC inbound around 16:15.

So they have both been out at the same time

No both of them have been out am and pm rush hour 10/30, 10/31 and 11/3.

700 has been on a 121 that leaves Streeterville about 7:30am and returns from Union at 08:10.Not sure where it goes after that.

701 has been on the 157 short due Halsted/ Taylor at 7:45am and then runs a 121 from Union at around 08:05, and later is on 120.

In afternoon 700 does a short on the 7 arriving Clinton/Taylor at 15:55. Today I caught this and the bus turned south on Canal and west on Van Buren (to take up service on 125?). 701 seems to run on the 7 passing UIC inbound around 16:15.

So they have both been out at the same time

I've only seen #700 on the #124 twice in mid morning rush around 8AM. #701 has been on the #7 everyday in the PM on what looks like the same run. Passed me tonight at UIC around 7:20 PM to kedzie. I think it pulls out goes to the loop and goes west around 5:15 PM goes to the west end returns to Congress Plaza and pulls in wb on a 2nd trip at Kedzie.

I've only seen #700 on the #124 twice in mid morning rush around 8AM. #701 has been on the #7 everyday in the PM on what looks like the same run. Passed me tonight at UIC around 7:20 PM to kedzie. I think it pulls out goes to the loop and goes west around 5:15 PM goes to the west end returns to Congress Plaza and pulls in wb on a 2nd trip at Kedzie.

At 8:00am it is on the 121. The 124 first journey is 08:35 from Union station.

Today 700 is arriving at Union station about now on an inbound 121 (7:59am) leaving at 8:10am on the 121. 701 is leaving at 8:05 on the 121, having run in on the 157 to Taylor/Halsted.

EDIT 700 then moves onto the 124 with the 8:50am ex Navy Pier, 9:14 ex Union. 701 is on 120 at 8:33 ex Streeterville, and 8:57 ex Ogilvie.

I agree with you on it's afternoon schedule In from Kedzie around 16:20 at UIC, complete outbound journey on 7 and then out to Kedzie passing UIC at 7:20pm. I would like to find out what route 700 goes onto in the afternoon. I caught it on an inbound 7 at 15:45 from UIC to Clinton yesterday. It then turned south on Clinton and west on Van Buren so I think i probably went onto the 125. Has anyone seen it?

EDIT 2. In the afternoon 700 starts at Michelle Clark High School (Harrison / Leamington) at 15:11 running to Jackson/Clinton (signed Jackson/Canal)

So far the buses seem to have stuck to the same runs each day since last Thursday.