Routes that need Artics or Increased Service

Brandon93

Stepchild is correct. The 4 has way too many buses assigned to it & some should be reassigned to the 3.

What's happened over the last 20 years is that all the housing projects along King are gone, plus the Green Line is just a block or so away from it....

I think you got something backwards there.

However, the question comes down to that 77th can garage artics, but someone with political influence in the garage doesn't want them. Apparently, he is like Mikey in the Quaker Life commercial, except he still doesn't like anything other than a 2009 NF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgB25WBeBxA

I think you got something backwards there.

However, the question comes down to that 77th can garage artics, but someone with political influence in the garage doesn't want them. Apparently, he is like Mikey in the Quaker Life commercial, except he still doesn't like anything other than a 2009 NF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgB25WBeBxA

I just corrected it. Brain fart!

UofC Hospital is without a doubt, the largest institution in the city with the absolute worst CTA service.

One remedy would be to reroute the 55 through Washington Park to 57th/Cottage Grove, as it already goes south to 5600 S. at the Morgan/Rainey divide. Just have it continue on Morgan to 57th & then east to Cottage Grove & back north to 55th.

I've always thought that the 59th/Ellis or 57th/Cottage would've been an excellent ending point for the 1, but I guess the 192 has that somewhat covered and the 1 is looking more and more like the 37/38/157 fiasco, just with one line.

I've always thought that the 59th/Ellis or 57th/Cottage would've been an excellent ending point for the 1, but I guess the 192 has that somewhat covered and the 1 is looking more and more like the 37/38/157 fiasco, just with one line.

If you are going in that direction, I assume 2 was extended from Drexel Square to 60th and Cottage (loop) for the reason stated.

The 192 is rush hour only & then, just one direction. Outbound from Madison/Clinton in the AM rush & Inbound from 59th/Drexel in the PM rush. Last AM outbound is 9AM, first inbound is 3:45PM & last one is 7PM. That last one is infuriating as it gets to Union & Olgilvie too late for trains that leave at 7:30 PM & 7:35PM, requiring almost an hour wait for a train. More incompetence in coordinating with Metra.

If it ran once an hour mid-days in both directions, plus reverse rush, it would help. Every run of the 192 appears to be nothing but profit for the CTA as the buses are all J14 deadheads to & from the 103rd garage.

Since almost every run of the 192 is SRO, sometimes it's absolutely packed SB at Roosevelt/State & NB at 58th/Cottage Grove, it needs more buses & runs.

....Every run of the 192 appears to be nothing but profit for the CTA as the buses are all J14 deadheads to & from the 103rd garage.

Since almost every run of the 192 is SRO, sometimes it's absolutely packed SB at Roosevelt/State & NB at 58th/Cottage Grove, it needs more buses & runs.

One would think, but it also appears that this is one of the routes that CTA expects U of C to pay 100%. Maybe U of C either pays or retains the fares.

Clearly, if U of C is paying, it sets the service level.

• Upvote 1

One would think, but it also appears that this is one of the routes that CTA expects U of C to pay 100%. Maybe U of C either pays or retains the fares.

Clearly, if U of C is paying, it sets the service level.

Wasn't that route created for the medical professionals to get back to their suburban homes. If so, I don't think U of C is giving much concern to or about the general public or like strictures suggested, it would be running a lot more often. At least it isn't this: http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/26382/nih-says-our-scientists-are-too-important-to-pay-for-parking-or-take-transit/

Wasn't that route created for the medical professionals to get back to their suburban homes. If so, I don't think U of C is giving much concern to or about the general public or like strictures suggested, it would be running a lot more often. At least it isn't this: http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/26382/nih-says-our-scientists-are-too-important-to-pay-for-parking-or-take-transit/

Somebody might have missed the Crowd Reduction Plan, part of which was that CTA would no longer subsidize so called contract routes. That topic included a reference to a RedEye article that the U of C had come to an agreement with CTA, including to continue 192.

Probably the only reason 192 is a published route is to conform to the FTA charter guidelines. But as I indicated earlier, whatever the purpose, U of C sets the service level (essentially by budgeting how much full freight it wants to pay). As part of the same Plan, Metra decided to continue 128 but not 33, and some job link cut X98 Avon service except for one late shift bus.

• Upvote 1

I think Pace should look into buying a few artics. I know it's not in their wheelhouse but some routes like the 352, 270, 250 etc. during rush hour could use the extra capacity.

I don't think this is a Pace topic, and besides that you recognize that it is not going to happen.

This might count as increased service. I would see a rush-hour, direction-of-travel extension of the 34 to Hegewisch OR the same thing, but the 30 gets and extension to Altgeld Gardens. Reason being is I think Hegewisch needs a bit more service and it is still within the city limits.

​The real answer might be if they ever extend the Red Line to 130th and then start a 130th shuttle bus. However, on this suggestion, you are basically dealing with demographically incompatible communities (not that that has stopped CTA before), at least in that Hegewisch is more associated with Indiana and has direct "Metra"/South Shore service.

However long the route is, the 30 still serves the Red Line so there is really no need to send the 34 to Hegewisch.  I personally know people who have used this option.  If anything were possible it would be an extension of 358 to 95th Red Line, but I don't think  there's enough demand to justify the extension.  When/if the Red Line extension to 130th is completed, that will ultimately change everything as Busjack has stated

• Upvote 1

However long the route is, the 30 still serves the Red Line so there is really no need to send the 34 to Hegewisch.  I personally know people who have used this option.  If anything were possible it would be an extension of 358 to 95th Red Line, but I don't think  there's enough demand to justify the extension.  When/if the Red Line extension to 130th is completed, that will ultimately change everything as Busjack has stated

​Apparently with 358, and what was explicitly stated when 355 was restructured, Hegewisch South Shore was adequate.

If you go back, when Loop service was ended on 355, the original proposal was via 115th to Kensington and then Michigan to 95th, but the conclusion was that the 355 riders didn't want it.

I remember when there was a Safeways bus downtown with a destination of River Oaks, which I assume was the predecessor to 358.

Edited by Busjack

​The focus would've been to combine the 357 with the 358 on the south end. No need to send the 358 north (especially since the 355 was going to remain at Hegewisch). 

Although I am certain that the powers that be are working on a short-term/long-term plan once Red gets to 130, My concern is whether or not there is a justifiable market at 127th to connect East to West (instead of charging the 34 to extend eastbound or the 30 to go to the Gardens). 

Although I am certain that the powers that be are working on a short-term/long-term plan once Red gets to 130, My concern is whether or not there is a justifiable market at 127th to connect East to West (instead of charging the 34 to extend eastbound or the 30 to go to the Gardens). 

​Two issues there:

• It is only as a result of surveyors' errors that the through street east of Indiana/State is 130th instead of 127th.
  • West of Halsted, the area is covered by 348 and 359. A good chunk of 127th between Halsted and State is Calumet River swamps. Maybe there is something around 123rd, but it seems like CTA isn't interested in anything south or 119th.

​Two issues there:

• It is only as a result of surveyors' errors that the through street east of Indiana/State is 130th instead of 127th.
  • West of Halsted, the area is covered by 348 and 359. A good chunk of 127th between Halsted and State is Calumet River swamps. Maybe there is something around 123rd, but it seems like CTA isn't interested in anything south or 119th.

​​I don't dispute that, but that's a regional planning discussion.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
32 minutes ago, sht6131 said:

Maybe somebody from Kedzie can tell me the reason artics are assigned to Roosevelt and Cermak on weekends.

There not that heavy of a route.

Do you ride either of the two routes during peak hours on the weekends? If you did you'll see why Kedzie runs artics a majority of the time. 

10 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Do you ride either of the two routes during peak hours on the weekends? If you did you'll see why Kedzie runs artics a majority of the time. 

No I do not. If you are relating to ridership, the schedule dept. gives Roosevelt 12 to 13 minutes Sat. and 14 on Sunday. Cermak gets 15 minutes on Saturday and 16 minutes on Sunday. Should the schedule dept. decrease the interval or is there another issue I should be aware of?