5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Here's a link to a sideshot of the #5000's destination sign Hey, are those Aries seats from USSC I see? (same as #4150 series artics) They have a high back on them.

That seems to confirm that one of the aesthetic changes was made, although certainly not any of the exterior ones.

Nice Pictures!! Although the destination signs aren't really that clear. Wait until these run on the loop "L". Alot of people are going to say huh! what route is that? Might be more easy to memorize the marker lights on your train for your line at least those have different colors. :lol:

I predict if these trains go into service with these LED designation signs, you will eventually see supplemental signs in the front window or hanging off the front. I don't understand why the CTA would spend millions to color-code the system only to install amber LED signs. They seem to be more difficult to read from a distance and have no color-coding. Unless they have color and it is not apparent yet, these are a mistake.

Perhaps this was done for equipment flexibility and maintenance but the loss of usability surely outweighs any cost savings. IMO

I have a brand new picture of the 5000's that I snapped on the way down to school. :D It was taken around Lawrence as it was turning around. It looks just like the 3200's except it is newer and has a digital display. Does anyone know what the wires hanging on the outside of the cars are for?

post-287-12556355247472_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I predict if these trains go into service with these LED designation signs, you will eventually see supplemental signs in the front window or hanging off the front. I don't understand why the CTA would spend millions to color-code the system only to install amber LED signs. They seem to be more difficult to read from a distance and have no color-coding. Unless they have color and it is not apparent yet, these are a mistake.

Perhaps this was done for equipment flexibility and maintenance but the loss of usability surely outweighs any cost savings. IMO

I don't think we'll see them in revenue service until Spring or Summer 2010, at the earliest. This is so the 5000-Series Railcars can be tested during a harsh Chicago Winter, so this doesn't happen again.

What does CBTC do?

Communications Based Train Control is an automatic control system thats allows for trains to be control via data communications vs an actual human operator. A human conductor would still be aboard for operating the doors, emergencies, etc.

In NYC, subway deliveries starting with R142's in 1999 on up, comes with a CBTC "capable" function which allows for conventional operation today, but rail cars have the technology for the future (15-20 years out) as NYC is planning to convert the system down the line. The 14th Street-Canarsie Local route (line L) is nearing the completion of tests on the new control system.

I would think the new cars would have it with the intention of MAYBE the same thing happening. I wanted to see if anyone knew.

As it has been said previously, CTA should have kept the mylar curtains.

I'm looking forward to the car shuffle when the 5000s go into revenue service.

Gene King

There are two ways to solve this.

The first way is to color code the electronic readings. The Red Line trains would have red script, Green Line trains green script, and so on (though I imagine brown script would be hard to see).

The other way is to have a separate (smaller) roller curtain with colors only, so you could still have the electronic sign, but you would have 10 - 12 colors to choose from. I know we only have 8 color lines but you have to be prepared for expansion. Maybe you won't need the extra space, but maybe you will.

There are two ways to solve this.

The first way is to color code the electronic readings. The Red Line trains would have red script, Green Line trains green script, and so on (though I imagine brown script would be hard to see).

The other way is to have a separate (smaller) roller curtain with colors only, so you could still have the electronic sign, but you would have 10 - 12 colors to choose from. I know we only have 8 color lines but you have to be prepared for expansion. Maybe you won't need the extra space, but maybe you will.

The first way would be more of what I would suggest. But it is probably very expensive to create a multicolored digital sign on such a mass produced scale. Something that could be considered could be to create signs that display only red, only green, only blue etc. but are interchangeable in case a train car changes lines. Hopefully these signs are easy to replace, we all know what happens with the digital signs on the buses. (they go dark) With four signs per car this may become a headache down the line. On the bright side, these cars right now would fit in well at the Orange line with those signs. :lol: (not that there going there)

The first way would be more of what I would suggest. But it is probably very expensive to create a multicolored digital sign on such a mass produced scale...

Although prices are not quoted, TwinVision makes them. I thought Luminator also made the Chroma sign, but I can't find a reference to it on its site.

They can't be that expensive if even my local Taco Bell/Kentucky Fried Rat has one.

• Upvote 1

I don't see any seats in those photos. I see a couple of laptop computers in the window under the destination sign.

You may not see the seats from the front, but you see them from the rear at the bottom of the window. They are missing there handrails, which is self explanatory considering they are longitudinal. They also take up part of the window space, something an Aries seat does because of it's high back. (something I kind of dislike: Windows are for viewing out of not putting seat backs in to block the view) Although I'm not positive. (note my question mark) There still needs to be a better spy photograph of the interior. (perhaps on the Howard platform where the cars would stop for the signaling ahead)

Although prices are not quoted, TwinVision makes them. I thought Luminator also made the Chroma sign, but I can't find a reference to it on its site.

They can't be that expensive if even my local Taco Bell/Kentucky Fried Rat has one.

I wonder what ever happened with the #6515 experiment? That was the only multicolored route sign to date. It was replaced with a traditional digital sign only after a couple years service. (the original probably died) Someone must not have liked it, It never has been installed on any future equipment.

Luminator's full-color LED sign is called the Spectrum.

You may not see the seats from the front, but you see them from the rear at the bottom of the window. They are missing there handrails, which is self explanatory considering they are longitudinal. They also take up part of the window space, something an Aries seat does because of it's high back. (something I kind of dislike: Windows are for viewing out of not putting seat backs in to block the view) Although I'm not positive. (note my question mark) There still needs to be a better spy photograph of the interior. (perhaps on the Howard platform where the cars would stop for the signaling ahead)

If you're looking at what I'm looking at, those are the backs of laptop computers. There are three of them in the center window.

Luminator's full-color LED sign is called the Spectrum

I got them swapped.

One can Google into the site to get a reference to it, but going in from the home page and using links only comes up with the reference to amber. You can verify that by clicking on Products in the first, and then clicking there back to LED systems.

What if that's just how it looks when it's "Out Of Service"? Maybe when in service, the background LED's(if there are any) will be the color of the line(i.e Blue, Red, Brown, etc...), and the text will be white LED's, with the exception of perhaps Green and Yellow, which will be either Yellow or Black LED's.

If that is how the LED display is set up(only the techs know for sure), then you can probably see what color line the train is serving from one or two stops away!!!

What if that's just how it looks when it's "Out Of Service"? Maybe when in service, the background LED's(if there are any) will be the color of the line(i.e Blue, Red, Brown, etc...), and the text will be white LED's, with the exception of perhaps Green and Yellow, which will be either Yellow or Black LED's.

If that is how the LED display is set up(only the techs know for sure), then you can probably see what color line the train is serving from one or two stops away!!!

As the prior discussion indicates, either they bought Amber signs, or they bought Chroma or Spectra ones. If the former (and all statements from Huberman indicate the former), they will only be amber.

This post seems to have gone dead... anyone seen/heard anything further on the 5000's(trial run progress, leakage of perhaps what line(s) may see them soon, etc...)??? I'm going to throw out a question based solely on the first two numbered units being tested...

This has always been the starting series numbers for our current stock of cars...

2201-2202(First delivered)

2401-2402(First delivered and tested w/2403-2404)

2601-2602(First delivered)

3201-3202(First delivered)

and perhaps, the new orders beginning set...

5011-5012

Anyone think that the 5000's might be, oddly enough, starting out with 5011-5012 only? No 5001-5002,5003-5004,5005-5006,5007-5008,5009-5010? Technically, as long as a number series ends with a "1", that could be the starting number set of railcars.

As the prior discussion indicates, either they bought Amber signs, or they bought Chroma or Spectra ones. If the former (and all statements from Huberman indicate the former), they will only be amber.

If these are all amber signs, then this would effectively take the signage back to pre-CTA days when nearly all destination signs were white-on-black regardless of the destination.

Spotted the 5000s in operation on Track 1 at Lawrence today. They were heading northbound at a very high speed. All I saw was the blur of corrugated steel from the window of the southbound Red Line train I was on.

Was it a 4-car consist - or a 2-car set?

5007 and 5008 were delivered last week.

I hadn't heard if 5007-08 had made it past the Skokie test track yet.

Well this confirms at least two things:

-For some reason, 5011-5012 were the first 5000's, not 5001-5002, which ordinarily, are the first to arrive/be tested, as 2401-2402 were the first ones tested.

-Since 5007-5008 are now here(still way outta numerical order, BTW: 5009-5010 should've been the next pair if their going from 5011-5012 down to 5001-5002), I'm guessing that the CTA is impressed with 5011-5012 thus far, but don't look for these railcars in revenue service until late Spring, early Summer 2010, at the earliest, so the CTA can test them when there is snow/ice/sleet on the rails.

Believe it was a 2-car set. Didn't get a good look due to the speed and fact that I was using my phone at the time and wasn't aware the cars were passing until I heard them.

Believe it was a 2-car set. Didn't get a good look due to the speed and fact that I was using my phone at the time and wasn't aware the cars were passing until I heard them.

What is total order? Was it a 205 car order? Id like to see some cars go to the Blue Line. Even with the 2200s going bye bye, I still wonder if some 5000s will be assigned to the B.L. or they send us 3200s or more 2600s.

What is total order? Was it a 205 car order? Id like to see some cars go to the Blue Line. Even with the 2200s going bye bye, I still wonder if some 5000s will be assigned to the B.L. or they send us 3200s or more 2600s.

As is continually repeated, it is 406.
  • Upvote 1