5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

This'll be confusing if/when the 5000's come to the Brown/Purple Lines, as both that head into downtown usually are tagged "LOOP", and without some color in the background, it'll be easy to grab the wrong train(since they both use the same track).

They could pull something that the WMATA has been doing with their newer cars and that is to put a very bright colored light on the sides of the destination signs...

$577 million and they still can't make the interior look like it was designed in the current century.

You brought up an interesting point that I thought about a couple of hours ago. I dont like the fact that these cars dont look TOO MUCH different (other than ridged sides, minor interior changes, and a few technological advances) than 2600's or 3200 delivered between 16 and 28 YEARS AGO. Its pretty pathetic that this is what were getting for that.

• Upvote 1

$577 million and they still can't make the interior look like it was designed in the current century.

I couldn't agree more with what you said, Kevin....

Also, the signage will be very confusing now.... why have colored lines if the LED signs will be the same background with the same color text??? This is how the lines look via current stock's signage, and how they'll look with the new stock's signage...

Current Stock:Linden, Howard, Loop(Purple Line)

New Stock: Linden, Howard, Loop(Purple Line)

Current Stock:Kimball, Loop(Brown Line)

New Stock: Kimball, Loop(Brown Line)

Current Stock: Midway, Loop(Orange Line)

New Stock: Midway, Loop(Orange Line)

Current Stock: Skokie, Howard(Yellow Line)

New Stock: Skokie, Howard(Yellow Line)

Current Stock: 54th/Cermak, Loop(Pink Line)

New Stock: 54th/Cermak, Loop(Pink Line)

Current Stock: Harlem/Lake, Loop, Ashland/63rd, East 63rd(Green Line)

New Stock: Harlem/Lake, Loop, Ashland/63rd, East 63rd(Green Line)

Current Stock: Howard, 95th/Dan Ryan(Red Line)

New Stock: Howard, 95th/Dan Ryan(Red Line)

Current Stock: O'Hare, Forest Park(Blue Line)

New Stock: O'Hare, Forest Park(Blue Line)

Now maybe there won't be total confusion, but there will be a good deal of it, like with the Loop trains(Brown, Green, Purple, Pink, Orange) there will be. Howard could be confusing too(Red, Purple, Yellow). I think before these 5000's are put in service, they ought to make those LED displays colored in the background, or at least colored text for the lines!!! I don't know how to tell trains apart using the dots above the front windows, nor would I care to try to see them as the train buzzes by me into the station. While I'm sitting there thinking as to whether it is my train or not, the doors close and the train is gone...

I couldn't agree more with what you said, Kevin....

Also, the signage will be very confusing now.... why have colored lines if the LED signs will be the same background with the same color text??? This is how the lines look via current stock's signage, and how they'll look with the new stock's signage...

I get your general point, and don't get on me again, but your green looks beige, and the new ones, all of the entries would be amber, and not black.

I get your general point, and don't get on me again, but your green looks beige, and the new ones, all of the entries would be amber, and not black.

I'm Color-Blind, Busjack... I can see color, but certain ones are hard for me to distinguish... I know the new signs are amber, but I used black to show how general the signs will look... Very bright colors like the yellow I used are hard to see on this posting background.

That wasn't his point. Blue Line trains either say "O'Hare" or "Forest Park," Both southbound Brown and Purple Line trains say "Loop." It may make a difference if you want to go to Wabash or Wells.

However, I figure that by the time those lines get those kind of trains (certainly no earlier that 2015) either CTA will figure out to get Chroma or Spectra signs, or the Purple Line will be going down the State subway.

THIS IS A DIGITAL SIGN, EITHER IT'S A BROWN LINE OR A PURPLE LINE, WHATEVER! IT'S GONNA DISPLAY THE LINE NAME, 'RED, BLUE, BROWN, PURPLE,' WHATEVER! THEN LIKE THE GUY SAID IT'S GONNA SWITCH TO SHOW WHERE IT IS GOING. "LOOP" THE SWITCH BACK "PURPLE LINE" AND BACK AND FORTH. IT'S NOT GONNA STAY ON "LOOP" ON SIGN ALL THE TIME LIKE A STUPID TRAIN.

THIS IS A DIGITAL SIGN, EITHER IT'S A BROWN LINE OR A PURPLE LINE, WHATEVER! IT'S GONNA DISPLAY THE LINE NAME, 'RED, BLUE, BROWN, PURPLE,' WHATEVER! THEN LIKE THE GUY SAID IT'S GONNA SWITCH TO SHOW WHERE IT IS GOING. "LOOP" THE SWITCH BACK "PURPLE LINE" AND BACK AND FORTH. IT'S NOT GONNA STAY ON "LOOP" ON SIGN ALL THE TIME LIKE A STUPID TRAIN.

You missed the point, so there was no point in using bold.

I said 5750 missed the point, in that Blue Line trains never had a loop reading, just Forest Park, O'Hare, and a couple of short terminals, such as UIC-Halsted and Jefferson Park.

Now, if you are saying that a Purple Line train's sign should switch between Purple Line/Loop, fine, but considering how fast trains go by, I don't really think that is going to work, at least with regard to seeing in advance what is on the very small front sign. Maybe with regard to the side sign while it is sitting in the station....

You missed the point, so there was no point in using bold.

I said 5750 missed the point, in that Blue Line trains never had a loop reading, just Forest Park, O'Hare, and a couple of short terminals, such as UIC-Halsted and Jefferson Park.

Now, if you are saying that a Purple Line train's sign should switch between Purple Line/Loop, fine, but considering how fast trains go by, I don't really think that is going to work, at least with regard to seeing in advance what is on the very small front sign. Maybe with regard to the side sign while it is sitting in the station....

Maybe i wasant clear the first time, let me try this again, What I meant was maybe the Blue Line trains signs could have a "flip flop" where inbound train signs flash " Loop" then "Forest Pk" Once reaching downtown the will only flash "Forest Pk" and then the reverse for OHare bound trains. I think this would provide less confusion for unfamiliar riders.

Maybe i wasant clear the first time, let me try this again, What I meant was maybe the Blue Line trains signs could have a "flip flop" where inbound train signs flash " Loop" then "Forest Pk" Once reaching downtown the will only flash "Forest Pk" and then the reverse for OHare bound trains. I think this would provide less confusion for unfamiliar riders.

Thanks for the clarification. Although Mr. CTA sometimes says Downtown and Forest Park, I really think that it would be unlikely to get the operators to change the sign at, say, Grand and Milwaukee (since gps doesn't work underground). Also, people think of The Loop as the Loop L, at least in the L context.

Found a new photo on Flickr. If the train was in service, it would be hard to tell what line it would be on, look at the train's sign and look at the station.

Only someone outside the CTA who's familiar with rail run numbers would be able to hazard a guess. My guess is it's not a Red Line since those have 800 and 900 run numbers.

It looks like the Howard station, and the signage looks like a Yellow Line. Show me a pic with another destination sign.

Note the run number, which is in the 540s. Definitely Purple Line shuttle (if the destination sign reads "Howard"), which operates during off-peak (non-rush) periods between Linden and Howard. The same series of run numbers are also used for Purple Line Express rush-hour runs to the Loop although the Express runs are typically run with six-car trains (there are only four 5000-series cars on CTA property thus far).

Yellow Line run numbers are actually numbered in the 590s.

• Upvote 1

It looks like the Howard station, and the signage looks like a Yellow Line. Show me a pic with another destination sign.

The sign on the pillar actually has red, yellow, and purple stripes.

The real question is if it was actually on the indicated run, in revenue service, or just being tested.

Note the run number, which is in the 540s. Definitely Purple Line shuttle (if the destination sign reads "Howard"), which operates during off-peak (non-rush) periods between Linden and Howard. The same series of run numbers are also used for Purple Line Express rush-hour runs to the Loop although the Express runs are typically run with six-car trains (there are only four 5000-series cars on CTA property thus far).

Yellow Line run numbers are actually numbered in the 590s.

Run 543 was one of the three runs that originated out of Howard to run on the Brown Line with runs 541 and 542. Now that the Orange Line is running the extra runs on the Brown Line, these three runs are obsolete. The Purple Line runs are between 501 and mid 520s.

Run 543 was one of the three runs that originated out of Howard to run on the Brown Line with runs 541 and 542. Now that the Orange Line is running the extra runs on the Brown Line, these three runs are obsolete. The Purple Line runs are between 501 and mid 520s.

Thanks for the update. I had not been going up north frequently enough to catch up with the often-unannounced changes.

The photo from jesi2282 brings up my point stated earlier... if this train was on the Red/Purple Line tracks after it leaves the junction with the Brown Line and there's another 5000 marked "Howard", how do you know which is your train? Three trains are marked "Howard"... Red, Purple,Yellow...This is why they need to either color that Amber text or put a colored background on these railcars. This is going to cause massive confusion... I don't know how to read those marker lights, nor do I want to sit there and figure out the whole "is a 700 a Red Line or a 500 a Purple line, etc..." I just want to get on the right train!!!