5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Hey do they still have those really big cta logos on the end caps or did they reduce them to normal size like the rest of the fleet

When I saw them the other day, they were normal size. When I was coming up the stairs, I initially thought it was a 3200 series until I saw the destination sign, by that time the train was starting to pull out of the station.

It looks like an 8-car train of 5000s, or maybe the 2600-5000 testing configuration at least, were sitting at the Skokie Shops, the other day. I didn't notice any garish blue endcaps. However, I saw 5009-5010 sitting in Howard Yard, still with that horrible blue endcap.

They look weird from a distance. At a glance (it was my first time seeing the 5000s in person), it looked like the motor ventilation intakes next to the doors had moved, or the vents were the same color as the skin of the train, or something. It looked like there was solid metal where the vent used to be.

It looks like an 8-car train of 5000s, or maybe the 2600-5000 testing configuration at least, were sitting at the Skokie Shops, the other day. I didn't notice any garish blue endcaps. However, I saw 5009-5010 sitting in Howard Yard, still with that horrible blue endcap.

They look weird from a distance. At a glance (it was my first time seeing the 5000s in person), it looked like the motor ventilation intakes next to the doors had moved, or the vents were the same color as the skin of the train, or something. It looked like there was solid metal where the vent used to be.

Yesterday I saw a six car 5000 series train at Harlem on the Green Line. The electronic destination sign said Cottage Grove. There were no blue end caps on any of the cars. The next Green Line train was also a Cottage Grove train and I wound up taking the following Ashland/63 train. When we crossed Tower 18 junction, I noticed a 5000 series train entering the Merchandise Mart station on the Brown Line tracks, but we passed too quickly for me to read the electronic destination sign. Therefore I could not tell if that was another 5000 series test train, or if that was the same test train I saw being routed around the Loop clockwise returning back to Skokie via the Brown and Red or Purple Line tracks.

It seems to me the best way to test these trains would be to test them "live" and to test them during rush hour. They can gage customer reaction (especially to the longitudinal seating), test the actual reliability of the electronic signage in real use, and the signaling when in close proximity to other trains. I remember the 3200s being tested live and also "mixed in" with the 2600s (I know 5000s can't train with any other series).

It seems to me the best way to test these trains would be to test them "live" and to test them during rush hour. They can gage [sic] customer reaction (especially to the longitudinal seating), test the actual reliability of the electronic signage in real use, and the signaling when in close proximity to other trains. I remember the 3200s being tested live and also "mixed in" with the 2600s (I know 5000s can't train with any other series).

It seems like the last thing CTA is concerned about is customer reaction, especially to the seating arrangement. Why else would they have settled for doing the 3200 test car decor?

With the "fraidy cat" way this testing is progressing, you can also bet that the last place they will do a test is with actual customers on a rush hour train. If, for instance, there is a signaling error, such as of the type reported when chopper control was rejected on the ten or so 2400s on which it was tested, you would never hear the end of reports that a couple of brand new, $1.4 million apiece cars were just wrecked. I don't know if the testers have gotten over the fear of stalling in the Howard interlocking, yet. There might be some rush hour testing on the signs and the like, but not with passengers until the testers get more confidence.

It seems like the last thing CTA is concerned about is customer reaction, especially to the seating arrangement. Why else would they have settled for doing the 3200 test car decor?

With the "fraidy cat" way this testing is progressing, you can also bet that the last place they will do a test is with actual customers on a rush hour train. If, for instance, there is a signaling error, such as of the type reported when chopper control was rejected on the ten or so 2400s on which it was tested, you would never hear the end of reports that a couple of brand new, $1.4 million apiece cars were just wrecked. I don't know if the testers have gotten over the fear of stalling in the Howard interlocking, yet. There might be some rush hour testing on the signs and the like, but not with passengers until the testers get more confidence.

How likely are the new cars to stall in the Howard yard? Is this a common occurance with the other series of cars?

Do you think the 5000 will be put in regular service by the summer time? Or should I ask how soon will they be in service??

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw an entire 8-car train of the new 5000s turning the corner on the inner loop at Wabash and Van Buren. I took a pic with my cell phone; I was practically under the track, but the cell phone camera makes it look distant. Not the best picture, but maybe some folks here would be interested....

5000series.jpg

A few observations...

- It was just as loud as any other train...I was really hoping the new cars would be a lot quieter, like they are in NYC and San Francisco.

- An unused train REALLY looks weird -- I'm not used to seeing the outer part of an L train look so clean!

- All the trains had not only the digital destination signs that said "Not In Service," but also pieces of paper in at least one window in each car on both sides of the train that said something like "Test Train - No Passengers."

- There's no destination sign in the front or rear of a car. This makes me think they'll probably be the old-fashioned roller.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for anyone who could answer...Wouldnt it be easier to place the 2400series cars on the blue line and couple them with the 2200's so when the 5000 series start to come along it would be easier to retire the older fleet cause they would all be in the same yard. Then put the 2600 series on the green and purple lines cause im pretty certain that's where they'll end up anyway.

I have a question for anyone who could answer...Wouldnt it be easier to place the 2400series cars on the blue line and couple them with the 2200's so when the 5000 series start to come along it would be easier to retire the older fleet cause they would all be in the same yard. Then put the 2600 series on the green and purple lines cause im pretty certain that's where they'll end up anyway.

Maybe, except then the Blue Line riders would complain for about 2 years that they have all the garbage. One already so complained on the CTA Tattler about a month ago.

I also suppose that if there is a breakdown on a 2200, a 3000-315? that got a full rehab in about 2002 could push it better than a 2400 could.

Maybe, except then the Blue Line riders would complain for about 2 years that they have all the garbage. One already so complained on the CTA Tattler about a month ago.

I also suppose that if there is a breakdown on a 2200, a 3000-315? that got a full rehab in about 2002 could push it better than a 2400 could.

Or us nostalgia buffs might be happy bringing those #2400's back to where they were on the blue line in the early 80's and late 70's.

Or us nostalgia buffs might be happy bringing those #2400's back to where they were on the blue line in the early 80's and late 70's.

You can have those awful 2400s. The only thing I like about them (and the 2200s for that matter) is that the front seats nearest the opposite side of the operator face forward. You get a great view of signals and can watch other trains ahead. The 2600s and the 3200s and more than likely the 5000s are not so, whereas your back would be to the window and unless you turn your body around to see, you won't.

• 3 weeks later...

This may be a dumb question but what do they mean when they say revenue testing??

They might actually allow paying passengers onto the cars, but before giving Bombardier the go ahead to start assembling the other 396.The train will actually have assigned runs, instead of just being full of test equipment and personnel.

Oh ok thanks alot for explaining they will most likely be on the Red and Blue lines since thats where they'll end up im guessing.

Again, just extrapolating, but since they are still in test mode, they probably will be like the Santa train and get a bit of everywhere before they settle down.

So....aisle-facing seating is a "feature"???

There should be two seats on each side of the car that are not longitudinal (I believe at the wheelchair position) but around 90 percent of the seats are longitudinal. Also if there are seats in the cab areas you have those seats. BTW, I noticed on the Red line that #2659 has windows behind both sides of the operators cab. Most #2601 - #3200 series don't have that. I wonder if that car was some type of prototype for the #2600 rehab. It does seem unusual.

Oh ok thanks alot for explaining they will most likely be on the Red and Blue lines since thats where they'll end up im guessing.

They will actually be rotated to every single line (including the Yellow Line) in the CTA system during the revenue test period. When actual deliveries begin, who knows where they'll go?