5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a pair of 5000's laying in the Howard Yard on Tuesday. Both have the CTA logo pasted on the front end of the cars, and the blue material on the front of the cars (so it may not look like the 3200's after all).

Thats cool I saw a 8 car series of 5000's on the Blue Line 12/14/09 I was driving my bus when I seen them heading westbound. In im opinion they are a mixture of 22's 26's and 32's I cant wait till theyre in serive hopefully the Green Line can get the 2600 series again.

Thats cool I saw a 8 car series of 5000's on the Blue Line 12/14/09 I was driving my bus when I seen them heading westbound. In im opinion they are a mixture of 22's 26's and 32's I cant wait till theyre in serive hopefully the Green Line can get the 2600 series again.

I got a great shot of one a few weeks ago and posted it on Flickr.

• Upvote 2

I love the 3200s, I lov it that they are a cross of 2600s and 2200s.

I guess I don't have the adverse reaction the rest of you did. It is sort of reminiscent of the Pace wrench interrupted by the windows, which I guess is also an acquired taste.

We don't have a definitive interior shot confirmation yet, but if they best they could do is ape the 3200 longitudinal test car, that isn't too imaginative. They should watch some home decorating shows on the Create channel.

I guess I don't have the adverse reaction the rest of you did. It is sort of reminiscent of the Pace wrench interrupted by the windows, which I guess is also an acquired taste.

We don't have a definitive interior shot confirmation yet, but if they best they could do is ape the 3200 longitudinal test car, that isn't too imaginative. They should watch some home decorating shows on the Create channel.

If your looking for interior shots there's this. As far as the new ends there testing I kind of like the sides with the big logo on it, but don't care for the ends. It kind of gives it, it's own character. If it is successful I wonder if it will make it to the buses as well.

• Upvote 1

If your looking for interior shots there's this.

Thanks for the reference.

In a related matter, the only thing in Hilkevitch's column today that made much of any sense (as far as the CTA is concerned*) is that office rumor was that people after Huberman spiked Huberman's recommendations for aesthetic changes. Hence, we get cars that look essentially the same as the 3200s, even though, as the post to which you linked indicates, there was room for wider seats.

_________

*The stuff about the cars being delayed for 2 years for that reason is pure hokum, since the CTA documented on its site that the real reason was that it had to respecify AC traction to get any bids.

• Upvote 1

Could CTA at least manage to properly line up the damn seats?

I can't tell from the reflections, but that seem like the place where the heater box is (and hence had longitudinal seats since the 2400s).

Of course, the answer is no, in any event.

I love the 3200s, I lov it that they are a cross of 2600s and 2200s.

If you look on chicago-l.org and look at the 3200 series gallery you'll come across a pic of the old 6000 series and 3200 series at midway station. The 3200 series cars were designed to look like the 6000 series cars if you look at both sets you can see alot of similarities not including the sides which resemble the 2200's. Just a f.y.i about the 3200 series.

I suppose they could but then all of that standing room would be eliminated and everyone standing would be squished together. You would still have a couple of inches between the seats and the windows on each side. To properly "align" the seats could get you some close up crotch looks. I for one do not look forward to that.

Now if they did that, Kevin, they might actually do something right :lol: . The CTA has a continuing practice of being wrong, that would upset the CTA order of life... Also, how many routes would have to be eliminated just to raise or lower seats 1/4 inch??? :huh:

Some of the NF buses (either the artics or #1930's I'm forgetting) have seats that don't line up either. In the front of the bus around the second to fourth longitudinal seat on the right side the seats are even more noticeably off (about 2 to 3 times as bad here) Maybe it's a trend!! :lol:

Saw 8 car 5000 train going north to Howard on the Purple Line tracks at 2:00 pm

My question is when will the 5000 series actually be put in service??? Does testing really take that long?? and do anybody know exaclty which train series is going to be on which line after the retirement of the 2200 and 2400 series rail cars? Just wondering.

My question is when will the 5000 series actually be put in service??? Does testing really take that long?? and do anybody know exaclty which train series is going to be on which line after the retirement of the 2200 and 2400 series rail cars? Just wondering.

Testing will probably be through the winter, to see if the snow or ice clogs or shorts out anything. Personally, I don't see all the body measurement against platforms testing, since the bodies seem the same as on the 3200s, but maybe that has to do with the self-levelers.

The answer to the latter is that Frank Kruesi claimed to have known, but that's two Executive Directors [sic] ago. However, his saying the Blue Line still seems to make the most sense.

In that nearly everyone who tried to predict at the beginning where the NF buses would go eventually was shown up, it probably does not pay to guess again with respect to the L cars.

• Upvote 1

According to Rodriguez, the cars need to be in testing for 4 seasons before they are placed in revenue service. Since it seems that Chicago only has 2 seasons (Summer and Winter), they may come online sometime next summer.

Guest ctafan630

According to Rodriguez, the cars need to be in testing for 4 seasons before they are placed in revenue service. Since it seems that Chicago only has 2 seasons (Summer and Winter), they may come online sometime next summer.

I thought Chicago only had winter and construction seasons. :lol:

• Upvote 1