5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

They've been pressed into service as of this morning. Hopefully the CTA will hear how people feel about longitudinal seating. It doesn't really look like anyone in the picture in this photo is really happy about it.

Chicago Breaking News - 5000s Arrive

Pressed into service is a little strong! Planned to enter service is more correct. They will be running on the Red line Mondays to Fridays until 14th may.

The first run in service was #806 at 7:30am from 95th to Howard with special livery 5010 leading. I caught the train from Jackson to Belmont. The train was formed of 5010+5009+5011+5012+5006+5005+5004+5003. They are scheduled to run the following M-F trains:-

06:12 ex Howard (except 4/19); 07:30 #806 ex 95th; 09:01 #904 ex Howard; 10:38 #813 ex 95th; 12:44 #905 ex Howard; 14:19 #818 ex 95th; 15:50 #819 ex Howard; 17:20 #827 ex 95th; 19:18 #829 ex Howard; 20:48 #826 ex 95th.

Pressed into service is a little strong! Planned to enter service is more correct. They will be running on the Red line Mondays to Fridays until 14th may.

The first run in service was #806 at 7:30am from 95th to Howard with special livery 5010 leading. I caught the train from Jackson to Belmont. The train was formed of 5010+5009+5011+5012+5006+5005+5004+5003. They are scheduled to run the following M-F trains:-

06:12 ex Howard (except 4/19); 07:30 #806 ex 95th; 09:01 #904 ex Howard; 10:38 #813 ex 95th; 12:44 #905 ex Howard; 14:19 #818 ex 95th; 15:50 #819 ex Howard; 17:20 #827 ex 95th; 19:18 #829 ex Howard; 20:48 #826 ex 95th.

Does the ex mean what time it is leaving? So the first AM run leaves Howard at 6:12?

Ugh, I always forgot how important semantics are around here before I post something. Pressed into service, placed into service, put on a track and run, "they made it go", whatever. The train is running, and mere mortals can ride it.

The schedule is good to know, thanks. I have to take a trip from Belmont to Skokie in a couple days, and now I can time it to experience the seating firsthand. I'm curious to know how much of a difference the new AC propulsion makes on ride quality too.

I would have retained the mylar curtains with color backgrounds CTA presently uses.

Especially since CTA is not going to paint the cars to match the line's color [like MBTA in Boston]. One thing riders need to do is become aware of signal light color combination for their train which can help ID the train from a further distance away.

I rode the 9:01 am from Howard and by Fullerton one of the door on # 5010 is broken and they have to cut it out and I saw Graham Garfield of Chicago-L org and Tracy Swartz of the Redeye on the train and I know one thing is when the train door closes they are beep sounds and my only opinion is smooth ride and the screen in train that tell you the next stops and announcements and time and the dates and lastly the seats on the train is better than cta buses that they have now!

...One thing riders need to do is become aware of signal light color combination for their train which can help ID the train from a further distance away.

...and I saw Graham Garfield of Chicago-L org...

Yep, I bet that the first thing that happens if the scenario sw described eventuates is that everyone boarding on in the described area will go to chicago-l.org to get the color light codes. :o:rolleyes:

I guess one other thing we can bet is that the pictures will be up on chicago-l.org fairly soon (I clicked on the car 5000 prototype, not thinking that what I wanted was a number higher than that, not a 1940's mockup).

I rode the 9:01 am from Howard and by Fullerton one of the door on # 5010 is broken and they have to cut it out

You think these issues could've come up when being tested since last fall without passengers.

Yep, I bet that the first thing that happens if the scenario sw described eventuates is that everyone boarding on in the described area will go to chicago-l.org to get the color light codes. :o:rolleyes:

The colored roller curtains are easy for me to ID(Brown is darker than Red, Purple looks different than Brown, etc...), but those little dot lights will be almost impossible, being colorblind. They need to color the backgrounds of the LED displays for routes that are labeled the same(e.g amber text displaying "LOOP" with Brown or Purple background)

You think these issues could've come up when being tested since last fall without passengers.

The colored roller curtains are easy for me to ID(Brown is darker than Red, Purple looks different than Brown, etc...), but those little dot lights will be almost impossible, being colorblind. They need to color the backgrounds of the LED displays for routes that are labeled the same(e.g amber text displaying "LOOP" with Brown or Purple background)

If the door was the one closest to the drivers end of the car on the right hand side it was playing up a bit on the trip north. At Chicago it would not completely close and partially opened and closed again several times, as if it sensed an obstruction. All the doors had to all be fully opened and then closed again for it to close. Perhaps they decided to lock it out so that they could check the sensitivity of the obstruction detection tonight. This is what this testing is for - to make sure everything works with passengers, frequent stops and doors operating.

Interestingly while at Belmont a Brown Line Train came in with 3202 leading (on loan from Orange?). It had the destination Loop in white on a black curtain!

• Upvote 1

The colored roller curtains are easy for me to ID(Brown is darker than Red, Purple looks different than Brown, etc...), but those little dot lights will be almost impossible, being colorblind.

I guess then someone would have to refer you to chicago-l.org's Marker Light page, which says from left to right, RED, AMBER, GREEN, LUNAR WHITE, <the destination sign>, LUNAR WHITE, GREEN, AMBER, RED. Sure.;)

Of course, the white on black Loop sign mentioned by busfan2847 would have thrown you for a "loop," anyway,

Guest ctafan630

The marker lights will also come in handy when the LED displays do not work. I guess we will see L destination signs posted on a sheet of paper in the front car like we currently have on buses.

Okay, so we had meetings at work, so my lunch break was late. I decided I'd see if maybe there was a chance I could ride the new cars....so...after 20 minutes of waiting at Harrison, a train comes roaring down the tracks with the telltale beeps that give it away that it's express....arghghhh...

And it was the new train.

Drat!

I must say, though, I've never seen a shinier train in my life. Of course, I expect it will lose its shine before long.

And what was weird was that the dotted-lights destination sign on the front of the car actually LOOKED RED in the distance,so I got excited, thinking that maybe they ARE color-coding the LEDs, but nope....as it got closer it was clear that the lights were the monochrome orange.

And I finally noticed that hum that prior posters were talking about.

They've been pressed into service as of this morning. Hopefully the CTA will hear how people feel about longitudinal seating. It doesn't really look like anyone in the picture in this photo is really happy about it.

Chicago Breaking News - 5000s Arrive

These people don't look like they really feel one way or another about it. They just look like they're going about their business on their commute to wherever they have to go. I think you're reading too much into what's on their minds.

Okay, so we had meetings at work, so my lunch break was late. I decided I'd see if maybe there was a chance I could ride the new cars....so...after 20 minutes of waiting at Harrison, a train comes roaring down the tracks with the telltale beeps that give it away that it's express....arghghhh...

Yeah, I was on that run. The auto leveling system didn't work at Sox-35th, with a man in a wheelchair needing to get out. They had to manually control the system and still had to use the ramp. This delay caused the train to run express to Jackson.

Also, according to personnel on the train, the 5000s will run on the Red for a month, and will be placed on the Green line next.

I'm excited about the new cars hopefully I can catch them or at least see them again on the dan ryan express way I was riding on there eariler and I didn't get to see them....well at least today I didn't. I do have a feeling they are going to change the seats to look like the rest of the fleet or should I say more lik the 2600 series seating. The new idea is cool to give them nyc seating but hey theyre used to it and were chicagoians so they should keep it the way were used to... That's just my opinion. But if they dont then thats cool as well.

I waited at State and Lake for a northbound Red Line train to Howard. I let a couple of trains pass because I was expecting the 5000 series train to arrive soon. I had it timed perfectly. The 5000 series train came. And it was heading SOUTHBOUND to 95th.

So I rode to 95th run #905. Noticed the electronic destination sign was readable INSIDE the train as well as outside. The electronic signage with the stops and PS announcements were at each end of the car. There are 2 sets of forward facing sests in each car which are the wheelchair position seats. All of the remaining seats are aisle facing. Above one of the electronic destination signs is the electronic system map with a red dot lighting up the next stop. The floors are black with white dots and yellow reflective stripes along the entire length of the floor leading to doors (in case of a blackout in the subway, the reflectors lead to doors). The leveler actually lowered the train at the stations so you had to be careful when getting off so that you did not trip. For the most part this trip was uneventful. Many people surprised to ride on the new train and lamenting how it wouldn't be long before people deface the train, etc. By the way, there are 6 security cameras in each car. I rode car 5009.

At 95th, there were plenty of CTA personnel and plenty of railfanners with cameras taking pictures. Two Red Line trains departed while the 5000 series train was in the station before they started boarding the 5000 train.

I also rode the NB trip from 95th, run #818, car #5010. I made sure to get a forward facing seat, but as luck would have it, a wheelchair passenger boarded at 69th, so I had to give it up. The leveler was low again, and the passenger had a slight drop when he wheeled his motorized wheelchair from the gap filler into the train. When he got off at 35th, there was trouble because the gap filler seemed not to be enough as the leveler was considerably low compared to the platform. One of the CTA personnel went inside of the cab and did something to cause the train to lift enough for the gap filler to work. There was still a small gap between the gap filler and the floor of the train, but minute enough for the wheelchair to negotiate it with no problem. There must've been about six CTA employees on that car. Two were taking notes, one of which was Chris Colozza. When we got to Cermak, we ran express to Jackson. By the time we left Lake, the train was jammed packed. I also noticed the warning buzz alerting the motorman to slow downhad a much lower pitch than on the other CTa trains, almost similar to thenew beep you hear when the doors are actually closing on these cars.

Gone is the fake wood, but outside of the side winder seats, a good ride.

From what I could tell, all of our doors were working properly. I read someone else's post about some door being cut out.

Here is a photograph of the train with 5010 leading at Belmont this morning on run 806, the 7:30am from 95th

post-93-12717301448897_thumb.jpg

Great photo I just seen them twice on the red line once going to 95th and again going back to howard they were zooming by fast too so I couldnt get a good look at them the way I wanted but they look really nice at night that's 1 thing I can say good about the LED signs is that they work really well at night. And another thing I noticed was that they were really quite as they zoomed passed because right after I saw them then I noticed how much quiter they were than the 2600 were.

Great photo I just seen them twice on the red line once going to 95th and again going back to howard they were zooming by fast too so I couldnt get a good look at them the way I wanted but they look really nice at night that's 1 thing I can say good about the LED signs is that they work really well at night. And another thing I noticed was that they were really quite as they zoomed passed because right after I saw them then I noticed how much quiter they were than the 2600 were.

I actually did get a chance to ride the new L cars this afternoon from Lake to 95th.

Guest ctafan630

Why did the CTA choose to go with the electronic system map? While this feature is nice and represents a futuristic feature, I fell it is costly to maintain and update. What happens when a stop is added to the system? How much will it cost the CTA to update these electronic maps compared to changing out the plastic cards?

I took a trip on the #5000's yesterday also from Sox-35th to Howard. The train seemed to be really quiet as it rolled up. The LED destination signs really do show up well plus they seem to be a bit bigger than the DC cars. Alot of the interior is basically the same as the other cars minus the longitudinal seating of course. I had no problem finding a forward faced seat so I chose to sit in that versus a longitudinal. There were some pluses and minuses to the cars. I like the doors with their chime when they closed, plus the doors didn't seem to rattle in their track like every other car does. The doors have a real smooth opening to them and they operate very quietly. If you don't look at the doors you may not even know they have opened they are that quiet. When you approach each stop and the doors open you get this leveling out feeling like you get on an elevator. It's kind of a strange feeling at first. There are also the LED infomation signs inside the car which display every word from the annoucement system for the blind. The announcement system is the same as the DC cars. That was somewhat of a minus to me. I liked the light up signs that showed where you were on the system. I could've swore those were yellow before and now there red? I don't know if the lights are colored coded per line. (I guess we'll have to wait until the Green Line.) I don't know if the placement of those in the middle of the car is wise most people will still want to look at the doorways for that. Seemed like there was alot of open space on the cars but they still could not pick up all the passengers at State/Lake NB. I Found that interesting. Something that was a bit disappointing for me was also that there is no passenger seating in the motor cab sections. There is also a smaller window on the interior side of the motor cab so you can't even look out the front or rear of the train if seated. I got off the train thinking how much better it could have been if some of the goodies were still in the cars like the video screens but it is what it is.