5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

I wonder what's going to happen when they hit the green line in three weeks. Will they be running it there as an 8 car train? Or could there possibly be two 4 car test trains if they intend to run it on the weekend there?

Considering that parts of the Green Line don't have 8 car platforms, and, certainly, if they intend to test it on all lines, the Yellow and Purple don't, they will have to cut the train, or have riders complaining that they can't get off, because there is no platform.

Since you brought up the subject, I'm somewhat surprised that they haven't tested 8 Red and 2 Yellow, except that might be explained by if a problem arises on the Yellow, there isn't other equipment to push it out of the way. However, I wonder how riders on the Red have tolerated the reported delays, at least the one dealing with waiting at 35th because the leveler didn't work.

Yesterday evening, I was on the test train and the supervisor that was riding along was asking if they were going to cut the 8 car train into a 4 car train for the 7:3? P.M. pullout from Howard SB. They answered back they would not be cutting the train. They seem to want to keep the train 8 cars. I wonder what's going to happen when they hit the green line in three weeks. Will they be running it there as an 8 car train? Or could there possibly be two 4 car test trains if they intend to run it on the weekend there? BTW, I was doing a little thinking with 8 months left in the year and 8 CTA rail lines, it would appear that they want to run the train for a period of 4 weeks per line. If so, testing would conclude Nov 30th.

I was wondering the same thing. My thought process for the Green Line goes like this. During rush hour, one six car consist with a four car in the yard. During non rush, two four car consists with 2 in the yard. The only way to run an 8 car consist on this line would be to send the train to 63rd and Ashland only because Cottage Grove station can't berth an 8 car train. By breaking up the consist during non peak hours, more people have a chance to ride. I don't think it will make much difference on the south side leg of the line, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out on the more crowded west side leg.

Looking ahead to the Pink line, which only runs 4 car consists, you will definitely have 2 5000s to choose from. Maybe on Sundays (when they run 2 car consists), you could get 5 5000 trains running. Besides, they could see how each car handles being the lead car that way.

The Yellow and Purple Lines could run them simultaneously. A six car consist on the Purple line with 2 two car consists on the Yellow line (since neither line can berth an 8 car train), which cuts a month out of your testing timeline.

I was wondering the same thing. My thought process for the Green Line goes like this. During rush hour, one six car consist with a four car in the yard. During non rush, two four car consists with 2 in the yard. The only way to run an 8 car consist on this line would be to send the train to 63rd and Ashland only because Cottage Grove station can't berth an 8 car train. By breaking up the consist during non peak hours, more people have a chance to ride. I don't think it will make much difference on the south side leg of the line, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out on the more crowded west side leg.

Looking ahead to the Pink line, which only runs 4 car consists, you will definitely have 2 5000s to choose from. Maybe on Sundays (when they run 2 car consists), you could get 5 5000 trains running. Besides, they could see how each car handles being the lead car that way.

The Yellow and Purple Lines could run them simultaneously. A six car consist on the Purple line with 2 two car consists on the Yellow line (since neither line can berth an 8 car train), which cuts a month out of your testing timeline.

I don't think they'll do two lines at a time. If they have a problem with the equipment they would be in a bind. Besides, then they'll have Dec to fix any issues with the cars and make a final decision on what line would receive them. BTW Busjack, what Green line stops only berth 6 cars. Is it something on East 63rd, because they were running an 8 car train or two in the rush, (maybe they still are) I believe on the Englewood branch around the 5:00 P.M. hour about a year or two ago.

I don't think they'll do two lines at a time. If they have a problem with the equipment they would be in a bind. Besides, then they'll have Dec to fix any issues with the cars and make a final decision on what line would receive them. BTW Busjack, what Green line stops only berth 6 cars. Is it something on East 63rd, because they were running an 8 car train or two in the rush, (maybe they still are) I believe on the Englewood branch around the 5:00 P.M. hour about a year or two ago.

If they have a problem with any one train, they would be in a bind anyway, so I think that point is moot.

As far as the Green Line, Cottage Grove can only berth seven cars, which is the length of the CTA Holiday train. When they demolished the portion of the line east of Cottage Grove, they cut the line a little too short at Cottage. I've heard of an occasional 8 car train on the Ashland branch.

Considering that parts of the Green Line don't have 8 car platforms, and, certainly, if they intend to test it on all lines, the Yellow and Purple don't, they will have to cut the train, or have riders complaining that they can't get off, because there is no platform.

Since you brought up the subject, I'm somewhat surprised that they haven't tested 8 Red and 2 Yellow, except that might be explained by if a problem arises on the Yellow, there isn't other equipment to push it out of the way. However, I wonder how riders on the Red have tolerated the reported delays, at least the one dealing with waiting at 35th because the leveler didn't work.

when the Green Line was rehabbed the station platforms were extended to accomodate 8 car trains although we all know the Green Line will never be all 8 car

Wait a min before the Green Line closed for rehabilitation they used to run 8 car trains all the time and the only reason why they do run them now well at least that much is because rider ship reduced on that line. Now if they still do on occasions I never seen it once since they reopened the line and I grew up riding the green line.

Every station on the Green Line can take 8 cars if you remember the Red Line went west on Lake Street before the 2 lines switched. Thats why CTA has said some cars to be retired will be kept because of increased ridership in case they have to add more cars to the lines.

Every station on the Green Line can take 8 cars if you remember the Red Line went west on Lake Street before the 2 lines switched. Thats why CTA has said some cars to be retired will be kept because of increased ridership in case they have to add more cars to the lines.

However, as BusHunter pointed out, that has nothing to do with Cottage Grove. Also, the Dan Ryan was not the Red Line (at least then). To the extent that colors on the map meant anything, the red one was Howard Englewood Jackson Park.

Maybe you are saying that Lake Street is o.k.

You know how SW4400 always states that no one will know a SB Purple from a SB Brown once they hit Belmont (Red) because each train will display loop. In New York they seem to have many cars that have LED signage. What they do is put the number of the train on the destination. In other words a #6 to wherever. Maybe CTA could put a B or P in the destination.

I got a great new picture of the train at Loyola last week! Check It Out :D I still haven't had the opportunity to ride one.post-287-12726394857858_thumb.jpg

Very nice! I snapped one myself a few days ago of the rear of a train. It was on my iPhone, so it's kinda enh. In the upper right corner you can see the little GPS antenna that each pair of cars have now.

web.jpg

• Upvote 1

I would like to add that I rode on that 5000-series train going northbound yesterday around 11-something AM. I was in car #5010, the second car of the eight-car train (the lead car of run #813 at that time was #5009; the other cars were #5007-08, #5011-12 and #5003-04).

Those are some really great pics you took good job buddy. Today im going train riding on the Red Line to catch the 5000 series. According to the cta tattler they will be departing 95th at 10:32am so im going to catch them and ride all the way to howard and back. this should be very exciting. I'll try to take some good pics of them too and post them.

Ok so I just got back from riding the 5000's and I must admit they are pretty nice. I didnt ride them all the way to howard as originally planned but I did ride them to monroe from 95th. I thought I wouldnt too much like the seating on the trains but once I got in I noticed how more "roomy" they were than the other fleet. During rush hour I can see how imporatant the poles and straps really are. The only negative thing I would have to say about the 5000's would be the how the train drops so you can board easier, but honestly that would cause people to fall more than anything cause I actually saw a guy trip as he was getting off. It looks like people with wheel chairs would have a more difficult time as well getting on and off the train the way it dips so low from the plat form. But besides that I give the 5000 series 2 thumbs up and cant wait till they start bringing in the rest of them.

The only negative thing I would have to say about the 5000's would be the how the train drops so you can board easier, but honestly that would cause people to fall more than anything cause I actually saw a guy trip as he was getting off. It looks like people with wheel chairs would have a more difficult time as well getting on and off the train the way it dips so low from the plat form.

Maybe you can explain this. I thought the whole idea of leveling the cars would be so that they would be level with the platform. If the cars are going lower than that, there seems to be something wrong that needs to be corrected.

Maybe you can explain this. I thought the whole idea of leveling the cars would be so that they would be level with the platform. If the cars are going lower than that, there seems to be something wrong that needs to be corrected.

Yeah I agree 100% with you cause what I noticed when I was on them today was the way the train is made when it stops and open the doors the train is already leveled with the platform before it drops. Then when it starts to drop its like 6 inches lower than the platform but its not like that with all the stops when we got to cermak it was pretty leveled but stops such as 35th, and 47th it was really low. Hopefully they correct that but like I said before it was a pretty good ride and I honestly like the new cars.

Something I just remembered noticing the other day... I think the top speed on these trains are higher. Or at least they haven't governed them the way they have everything else. I caught up with the 5000-series train on the Dan Ryan the other day on the straightaway between Sox-35th and 47th. The thing was easily going 70mph! I know the rest of the trains have a theoretical top speed of 70mph, but they are limited to 55mph. Either the speedometer in my car is way off, or the 5000s aren't limited in this way. Or perhaps the lower speed isn't necessary due to the enhanced suspension in the 5000s, so you can go 70 but it doesn't *feel* like 70, if you catch my meaning.

You know it's funny you mentioned that because when I was riding them today I noticed how fast they were moving too. I was thinking two things, either its been a really long time since I rode the red line or either these 5000s are going faster than 55mphs because they were moving out. The funny thing is even if they were it would still be hard to tell because of how smooth they move. The acceleration is really good as well as the braking well besides the slight vibrating when they are slowing down.

I would like to add that I rode on that 5000-series train going northbound yesterday around 11-something AM. I was in car #5010, the second car of the eight-car train (the lead car of run #813 at that time was #5009; the other cars were #5007-08, #5011-12 and #5003-04).

in relation to the top speed of older trains...i remember riding the red line from 95th to wilson and on portions of the dan ryan, i remember looking into the cab and seeing the speedometer well above 55 mph and not hearing any audible alarm (telling the motorman to slow down)

that happened more than a few times on sections of the dan ryan branch that trip.

is this common for cta trains or was this train 'out of wack'?