5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Well, with not even a sliver of information regarding the 5000's, I wonder if there is more wrong with these railcars than just brakes. The statement I got, that railfan4072 pointed out, said that the cars were tested Not In Service on June 7th, and approx. 1 month later, still no word about these cars. It's almost like they disappeared off the face of the CTA's Earth. Could Bombadier be the NABI of "L" cars?

Chicago-l.org's 5000 series page* indicates that they resumed testing on the Green Line, but given that the latest update was June 13, the language there may be anticipatory.

That page also seems to explain why we haven't seen 5001-5002.

_________

*Click on the 5000-series link under Latest Update on the home page.

Chicago-l.org's 5000 series page* indicates that they resumed testing on the Green Line, but given that the latest update was June 13, the language there may be anticipatory.

_________

*Click on the 5000-series link under Latest Update on the home page.

Those cars were parked on a storage track at Skokie Shops last week. The way things are going they may be testing in 2011, when there supposed to give the ok to Bombardier. They may have to push up the ok date or risk testing while the order is being filled!! :lol:

Those cars were parked on a storage track at Skokie Shops last week. The way things are going they may be testing in 2011, when there supposed to give the ok to Bombardier. They may have to push up the ok date or risk testing while the order is being filled!! :lol:

Or more likely, Bombardier will have to sit on its kiester until CTA gives the word that the cars passed testing.

The usual thing in contracts is that completion is contingent on successful completion of testing, which means that. You imply, and sw has certainly implied, especially with regard to this being a second NABI, that there is a deadline for the testing that has been or will inevitably be blown. As I previously said, apparently this time CTA is being careful that this does not become a second NABI, by insisting that the cars pass testing, instead of saying, as it did about 4 years after the NABI problems first developed, that it "conditionally accepted" buses that it knew did not pass tests on the faith that the problems would be remedied.

Hence, I would argue that the CTA is being prudent in this situation. Bombardier will get its $600 million notice to proceed when the tests are satisfactorily completed, whenever that may be.

Well, even though the language on Chicago-l.org may have been anticipatory (generous of you, I would have said misleading) for several weeks, the passage of time and rigorous testing is going to make it accurate.

As of Monday, 7/12, the cars will resume in-service testing on the Green Line. Testing on the Green Line is scheduled to continue for three more weeks, and then move to the Blue Line.

• Upvote 1

That is some GREAT news it's been long enough now. It's good to know the 5000's will be back in business. I can't wait for the rest of the fleet to start coming so they can finally retire the 22 and 2400 series cars. I say that because after they retire then they can put the 2600 series cars back on the Green Line. To me it's just something about them being on that line that reminds me of when I was younger they were on the Green Line also coupled with the classic 2000 series.

Hilkevitch today indicates that CTA might have finally got the message, although I question the bit about brown and purple not being available when the cars were designed (based on the RGB theory):

I also find it hard to believe that they put fluorescent lights inside, when they have been using LEDs in the buses for about 3 years.

It is one thing to be using the same shell as the 3200s, but I find it hard to believe that CTA totally rejected some of Huberman's interior ideas, which the quoted engineering liaison said would not have cost any more.

There may be some indications that CTA is interested in LED lighting for the interior of the railcars. #3295 on the Orange line has been retrofitted with LED interior lighting. It doesn't seem to be in the motor cab areas and the cars mate has not been retrofitted. If your interested in the type of light it's the same that's on the #1631 -#2029 NF's style lighting.

The 5000's will head back to the Purple Line on Monday.

April 19-May 16: Red Line

July 12-August 1: Green Line

August 2-October 24: Blue Line

October 25-November 22: Orange Line

November 23-December 26: Brown Line

December 27-January 16: Pink Line

January 17-February 13: Purple & Yellow Lines

February 14-April 3: Red Line(2nd Test)

April 4-June 12: Purple Line(2nd Test)

The 5000's will return to the Green Line on Monday.

Based on the length of time out, and the fact that the Green Line is only being tested for three weeks, this might be the adjusted testing schedule to finish it before January 2010.

April 19-May 16: Red Line

July 12-August 1: Green Line

August 2-August 22: Blue Line*

August 23-September 12: Line #4

September 13-October 3: Line #5

October 4-October 24: Line #6

October 25-November 14: Line #7

November 15-December 5: Line #8

*=Reported Next Assignment for testing

Just wondering why you don't use Green Text to represent the Green Line, rather than what appears to be some peach-orange color.

Just wondering why you don't use Green Text to represent the Green Line, rather than what appears to be some peach-orange color.

That is an AWESOME question lol. I think everybody was thinking the same thing. But on another note does anybody knows what time will the 5000's be leavin from Harlem and Ashland/63rd and etc??

Easy question to answer: I'm colorblind and it would be easier if the text colors mentioned what was what(e.g put mouse over a blue square and it says "Blue", etc...)

Easy question to answer: I'm colorblind and it would be easier if the text colors mentioned what was what(e.g put mouse over a blue square and it says "Blue", etc...)

Something sw has mentioned often enough now that I'm not surprised at this point when he picks a color that doesn't always match when he uses text colors when referencing the rail lines whenever I see his posts. I just take it in stride.

• Upvote 2

Hey I'm trying to catch the 5000's on the Green Line can anybody tell me or does anybody know the schedule on the times they leave from Harlem and Ashland/63rd???

This morning, I saw the 5000 train approaching Harlem at around 8:45 this morning. However, they pulled a 2400 series train out the yard and that wound up being the next train out. I had to catch that one to be on time for work. Based on that I would think around 8:45 - 9:00 a.m.

Hey I'm trying to catch the 5000's on the Green Line can anybody tell me or does anybody know the schedule on the times they leave from Harlem and Ashland/63rd???

They are running the same schedule as the first week on the Green Line. If you are looking for an afternoon ride there's a 3:20 PM pullout from Harlem EB to Cottage Grove. It hits the loop (Clark/Lake) around 3:50 PM EB pulls out from Cottage around 4:30 PM and hits Clark/Lake again around 4:50 PM WB to Harlem. I believe when it hits Harlem it's through for the day. It's strictly running 7AM to 5PM with the 9AM and 1PM pullouts from Harlem going to Ashland/63rd. BTW, yesterday one of the cars (#5005) had a blue light, which means the door was cut out on it. When the door was cut out the AC turned off for that car only. So the car ran to Harlem yesterday with it's hopper windows open. I hope that whenever a door needs to be cut out it doesn't turn off the AC or there going to have alot of hot cars rolling around.

They are running the same schedule as the first week on the Green Line. If you are looking for an afternoon ride there's a 3:20 PM pullout from Harlem EB to Cottage Grove. It hits the loop (Clark/Lake) around 3:50 PM EB pulls out from Cottage around 4:30 PM and hits Clark/Lake again around 4:50 PM WB to Harlem. I believe when it hits Harlem it's through for the day. It's strictly running 7AM to 5PM with the 9AM and 1PM pullouts from Harlem going to Ashland/63rd. BTW, yesterday one of the cars (#5005) had a blue light, which means the door was cut out on it. When the door was cut out the AC turned off for that car only. So the car ran to Harlem yesterday with it's hopper windows open. I hope that whenever a door needs to be cut out it doesn't turn off the AC or there going to have alot of hot cars rolling around.

Thanks a lot I appreciated the info but as far as the 7 and 9am pull off of the 5000's exactly where will they be pulling off at those times?? Is it Harlem, Ashland/63rd or Cottage Grove??

Thanks a lot I appreciated the info but as far as the 7 and 9am pull off of the 5000's exactly where will they be pulling off at those times?? Is it Harlem, Ashland/63rd or Cottage Grove??

Those are from Harlem the 7am goes to Cottage Grove and the 9am goes to Ashland/63rd. As far as exact times I believe greenstreet mentioned a departure at 7:20am from Harlem and there should be another from Harlem around 9:10am. I'm wondering if there will be weekend service. The cars were pulled the first week before I could find out.

I rode the 5000s this afternoon on the Green Line. 5009 was the lead car departing Harlem at 6:40P for 63rd/Cottage Grove. The operator kind of babied it halfway through the ride downtown, I guess trying to get the feel for the car operating. Unlike my Red Line experience, people were not fawning over the new cars, save one drunkard. Yet the forward facing seats were still the most popular seats in the car. The ride was much quieter and smoother. The leveling works, though you still have to step down at all of the older Loop stations east of Clark/Lake. This was the first time I rode with an operator who said she actually LIKED the new cars. On another post where I said I wound up on the 2400s that was pulled out of the yard (even though we thought the 5000 train would be the next to pull out), my operator was GLAD HE DIDN'T have to operate the newer train, calling it "junk". I wondered why so many operators didn't like the new cars.

One thing I noticed this time that I didn't notice on the Red Line testing. When we were delayed approaching Tower 18, the operator played the standard "YOur attention please, we are being delayed waiting for signal clearance, we expect to be moving shortly." The actual announcement was also scrolled on the signage at the end of (or front of in this car) the train.

I don't know if CTA will order signage that is colored coded, I wish they would, but with the testing we are still stuck with the standard signage that doesn't change. I believe the general consensus is that the Blue LIne will be next in testing. To me, testing doesn't have to be done on every single rail line to find out whether the cars should be ordered or not, but I believe it is a public relations ploy so no one can cry racism, or any kind of schism that their line (or side of town)was discriminated against. The Red Line alone simulates nearly every single type of operation a train will get with the lone exception of grade level operation (the Yellow Line achieves this). The Red Line has concrete embankment, steel elevated, subway, expressway median portions on its route. The Blue Line doesn't really have embankment, the Green Line has no below ground operations.

I'm sure I'll get an opportunity to ride again on the Blue since I do use that line on a regular basis, but I won't be railfanning for it on the other lines.

To me, testing doesn't have to be done on every single rail line to find out whether the cars should be ordered or not

I'll disagree. You never know what kind of unforeseen situations might occur with a particular type of equipment on a particular line. Some things won't necessarily be discovered just by running the cars a couple of times around the system NIS, like they did back in November (I think it was November, anyway). Certain bugs may not present themselves every single time, but may only happen every 10th or 20th time.

As an example, when the 4000s (buses) were first delivered, there was a problem around LaSalle/Division that would sometimes cause the back doors to keep flapping open. Something in the area (I never learned what it was) was triggering the CLASS sensors on the doors, and the problem wasn't really solved until two or three months after the buses were in service. In this case, I don't know if the fix wound up being a tweak to the software on the buses, or if they identified and fixed whatever environmental issue was causing the problem at that location.

With all of the new electronics on these railcars, there may be something in the vicinity of a station or yard that might cause some interference, but may not show up on one or two test trips. It doesn't have to be electronic interference, either, but could be anything that would interact differently with the 5000s compared to the rest of the fleet.

Even the issue that pulled them out of service for a couple of weeks recently is an example. It's possible that something with the Green Line elevated structure (as opposed to the Red Line's structure) triggered or accelerated the part failure that caused the cars to come out of service. I'm not an engineer, and never plan to be one, but it wouldn't surprise me if the vibrations on the Lake Street line are different than those on the North Side Main, which would be different from those on the Orange Line, etc.

If the testing reveals any line-specific issues that need to be addressed, it's best to find out now instead of after 250 have been delivered.

• Upvote 4