5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

The bulletin instructing that the 5000's will remain in revenue service on the Blue Line until September 4 is still in effect.

Where they are headed after that would be the next question. If we follow where they have gone so far red and green, two lines that seem to be paired together, (remembering HoDar and L. E. Jack) you only need to ask yourself what is paired together with blue. That to me would be pink. After that it would be orange and brown (don't know which of the two would come first) then purple and yellow. For some reason yellow always is last on the list, but it has it's benefit. It would give the shop time with the spare cars for any last minute adjustments.

The bulletin instructing that the 5000's will remain in revenue service on the Blue Line until September 4 is still in effect.

Finally!! As a 1st time of riding a 5000. I've rode a Car#5011 on the Blue Line from Clark & Lake to Jefferson Park this Saturday Evening. Then, back on other way on a 1970 Budd Car #2269. What an great evening!!

I've been out of town, so I've been out of the loop a little bit. However, I haven't seen or heard of a bulletin authorizing the transfer of the 5000s from the Blue Line (where they were scheduled to stay until at least Sept 4) to another line.

The absence of a transfer bulletin is very telling. This is only an educated guess (but a guess nonetheless) - but I wouldn't be surprised if the 5000s stay on the Blue Line for additional weeks of testing. Has anyone seen or read anything to support or refute this supposition?

Here's another guess(based on almost nothing): Since a large number of the 5000s are destined for assignment to the Blue Line, could it be that the "testing" phase is prolonged there in order for Bombardier to execute changes to the remainder of the production order of cars, with assignment of the original 10 cars to other lines to take place later? Admitedly, this is somewhat goofy, but when has that ever prohibited CTA from doing anything?

It pulled into ORD station around 1:30PM on Friday; indeed, it's been waiting at ORD the past two times I've gotten on a train there. Still haven't had a chance to ride it, though.

You still have time to catch it. The 5000s are scheduled to remain on the Blue Line until at least October 9. (I don't know the plan after that.)

• 2 weeks later...

They were having some issues with the signage last night. I saw it southbound by the O'Hare branch California stop around 11 or so and all of the signs were off except for the last train (the signs were correct on the last train and read as run #217). Awhile later I saw it running northbound and all of the signs except for the last train were functioning correctly. Looks like they're still working out some bugs.

• 2 weeks later...

They were having some issues with the signage last night. I saw it southbound by the O'Hare branch California stop around 11 or so and all of the signs were off except for the last train (the signs were correct on the last train and read as run #217). Awhile later I saw it running northbound and all of the signs except for the last train were functioning correctly. Looks like they're still working out some bugs.

Like an instructor at Bus Operator Training once told me and I quote "This is a company where you get what you pay for!" Need I say more???? Seems like every new CTA vehicle that comes along tends to bring some sort of problems with it.

Like an instructor at Bus Operator Training once told me and I quote "This is a company where you get what you pay for!" Need I say more???? Seems like every new CTA vehicle that comes along tends to bring some sort of problems with it.

So, what should we expect at $1.6 million a car. That ain't cheap.

Yeah I saw the 5000's too they were at the 95th terminal on the Red Line. My 1st thought was were they about to retest them on the Red Line again... But I also saw a string of 2600's on the Green Line a few days ago could this mean they are about to start switching them over to the Green Line permanently because of the arrivals of the 5000's?

Specifically with new trains, many new ones have bugs that need to be worked out before they are out of the final phases of testing. Much of the technology on these trains isnt new to market, so I would imagine its will be a matter of time before they are working the way they should.

Yeah I saw the 5000's too they were at the 95th terminal on the Red Line. My 1st thought was were they about to retest them on the Red Line again... But I also saw a string of 2600's on the Green Line a few days ago could this mean they are about to start switching them over to the Green Line permanently because of the arrivals of the 5000's?

Today I saw the 2600s on the Green Line, cars 3119-20, 3149-50, and two others. My guess is that they are loaners because I saw some 2400s on the Blue Line (looks like it is a work train). No sign of the 5000s on the Red Line today for any testing.