5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

No surprise there. Bombardier absorbed the railcar design assets of Budd and Pullman during the 1980s.

Just guessing, but one could be pretty sure that it is the component supplier that controls, especially since these controls are supposedly not based on acceleration points. Also, I'm fairly sure that the style of the handle doesn't much matter.

As expected by many, the next line to receive the 5000s for testing is the Green Line.

If you plan to catch these cars on the Green Line, watch your i-Pods, i-Phones, any expensive electronics for that matter. This line has been targeted by electronic thieves recently...

I get the feeling that these "thieves" aren't located from the starting point of Harlem which wouldn't be a fair statement to make because those type of things can happen on ANY line and it could be just as frequent. But on another note I do plan on riding the 5000's on the green line this weekend or hopefully sooner than that. If anyone rides them before me please take pics and post them. You guys have taken some really good pics so far.

If anyone wants to take an evening rush hour trip on the #5000's on the Green line, there is a 4:50 P.M. departure from Clark/Lake WB. It travels to Harlem then lays up for I believe an hour or so. They start cutting trains to four cars around 6 P.M. I was wondering if they were going to cut the #5000, but I couldn't find out.

I know this is overkill, but I now see image proof of how the 5000's would look on the Brown/Purple Lines from Belmont south, and it is extremely confusing...

Well. it looks like the run number didn't start with a 5, so I guess it wasn't Purple Line. However, it would take one of us to figure that out.

Well. it looks like the run number didn't start with a 5, so I guess it wasn't Purple Line. However, it would take one of us to figure that out.

I'm not looking at run numbers, Busjack. I just want to simply get on the train that should be clearly marked and take it to my destination, not pull out printed out run numbers or marker light codes to guess which train is which.

I'm not looking at run numbers, Busjack. I just want to simply get on the train that should be clearly marked and take it to my destination, not pull out printed out run numbers or marker light codes to guess which train is which.

I think the CTA's answer to this is a new system they've implemented at the Belmont Red/Brown/Purple line stop. It may be at Fullerton by now, I'm not sure. In any case, the LED signs now show the next 5 trains, their line color, their destination, and estimated time remaining. A train pulls in, it says LOOP, you glance at the signboard, see what it's supposed to be, hear the motorman announce the train color, and go from there.

I think the CTA's answer to this is a new system they've implemented at the Belmont Red/Brown/Purple line stop. It may be at Fullerton by now, I'm not sure. In any case, the LED signs now show the next 5 trains, their line color, their destination, and estimated time remaining. A train pulls in, it says LOOP, you glance at the signboard, see what it's supposed to be, hear the motorman announce the train color, and go from there.

That adds another level of complexity. Really, I don't think that's CTA's answer (maybe right now, but that clearly can't continue once the 5000s start arriving en-masse). A more likely solution is a change-order for the production models that has some kind of route indicator on the sign (similar to the WMATA-style signs that have colored LED stripes on the sides of the sign, with the destination of the train in the middle).

... A more likely solution is a change-order for the production models that has some kind of route indicator on the sign (similar to the WMATA-style signs that have colored LED stripes on the sides of the sign, with the destination of the train in the middle).

We can only hope they get the message.

I hope you realize that with my references to having to look at chicago-l.org or that it would take one of us to figure it out, that I was being about 86% sarcastic. Sure, I don't believe that being a transit geek should be a prerequisite to figuring out the route of the next train.

In a similar light, the idea of coordinating the next arrival sign over the platform with the idea that the train pulling into the station is the one that the sign says will arrive in the shortest amount of time hits me as too esoteric for the average rider.

On Monday 17 May, when heading for the Marion Street Cheese Market in Oak Park for a Chicago Craft Beer Week [#CCBW] event, I actually managed to be on the platform at Cicero Ave. on the Green Line when the six-car train of 5000s bound for Harlem rolled in. Wow. :D

Here is one photograph for illustrative purposes: fe6ded81339849.gif

It, and the eleven other, may be viewed here. :)

5000-Series Test Period

If each line gets 4 weeks, this should be the period of time on each line...(Updated)

April 19-May 16: Red Line

May 17-June 13: Green Line

June 14-July 11:

July 12-August 8:

August 9-September 5:

September 6-October 3:

October 4-October 31:

November 1-November 28:

5000-Series Test Period

If each line gets 4 weeks, this should be the period of time on each line...

May 17-June 20: Green Line

June 21-July 25:

July 26-August 29:

August 30-October 3:

October 4-October 31:

November 1-December 5:

December 6-January 2:

I don't think it is going to last that long, in that they said they would finalize the order by the end of the year. Purple and Yellow sure won't need a month. Brown and Blue might. I also mentioned that since they have 10 cars, they could test Purple and Yellow at the same time.

5000-Series Test Period

If each line gets 4 weeks, this should be the period of time on each line...

May 17-June 20: Green Line

June 21-July 25:

July 26-August 29:

August 30-October 3:

October 4-October 31:

November 1-December 5:

December 6-January 2:

I don't think it is going to last that long, in that they said they would finalize the order by the end of the year. Purple and Yellow sure won't need a month. Brown and Blue might. I also mentioned that since they have 10 cars, they could test Purple and Yellow at the same time.

There are so many possible variables during this test phase that I don't think anyone can accurately predict what will happen on what timeframe. Even if the CTA does plan to test the cars on each route for 4 weeks each, as has apparently been inferred from the Red and Green testing schedules, there is no guarantee that won't change - for any number of reasons. Testing on each line could go so well, that they shorten each routes' test phase. Problems could be encountered that cause them to suspend testing for an indeterminable length of time.

Also, I should point out that in the above time frame, many of the testing periods listed are actually 5 weeks, not 4 weeks. If the testing were to occur for a firm 4 weeks on each of 8 lines, then that testing would end around Nov. 27, not Jan 2. If Busjack's possibility of testing Yellow and Purple at the same time was to occur, then line testing would be done even earlier.

Even if the line testing is done, there may be other environments they need to test - like a Chicago winter. That could add more time to the schedule - especially if we have mild weather early in winter.

Unless someone is on the inside and is privy to all the factors that must be taken into consideration, I'm not sure we can accurately predict what will happen or even what is planned to happen.

• Upvote 1

Unless someone is on the inside and is privy to all the factors that must be taken into consideration, I'm not sure we can accurately predict what will happen or even what is planned to happen.

I'm not saying my schedule is accurate. I'm basing my table on the following...

-Length of time on the Red Line(started on a Monday, lasted about 4 weeks and ended on a Sunday)

-CTA reporting that all lines will be involved in testing these rail cars(8 lines, 1 month/line.)

I'm not doubting at all what Busjack said about Purple and Yellow not needing a month and splitting the 10 cars up(though I think they would need 12 to split up between the two: 6 Purple, 6 Yellow), I'm just presuming the CTA is going to be fair to all rail riders and give each line about 4 weeks. I'm sure that if all goes well by test #7(Nov 1-Dec 5), the CTA will just order the additional railcars and finish the testing up by Jan 2(which I'm going to predict will be the Yellow Line test, which might hold true since the 6 cars assigned to the Yellow Line are 2893-2898, which are part of the Santa Train which is made around Thanksgiving).

I'm not doubting at all what Busjack said about Purple and Yellow not needing a month and splitting the 10 cars up(though I think they would need 12 to split up between the two: 6 Purple, 6 Yellow), ...

Nothing saying that the Yellow Line would have to be, in effect, all 5000s to run a test. 2 might be enough. Since both lines have some storage based at Howard Yard, could just rotate among them.

A more likely solution is a change-order for the production models that has some kind of route indicator on the sign (similar to the WMATA-style signs that have colored LED stripes on the sides of the sign, with the destination of the train in the middle).

Hilkevitch today indicates that CTA might have finally got the message, although I question the bit about brown and purple not being available when the cars were designed (based on the RGB theory):

CTA officials said they are also exploring color-coded lighting on the exterior destination signs on the new rail cars to make it clearer which route each train is serving. The destination signs use yellow LED lighting on the prototype railcars. CTA officials said brown and purple LED lighting were not available when the design process began, but they are now.

I also find it hard to believe that they put fluorescent lights inside, when they have been using LEDs in the buses for about 3 years.

It is one thing to be using the same shell as the 3200s, but I find it hard to believe that CTA totally rejected some of Huberman's interior ideas, which the quoted engineering liaison said would not have cost any more.

However, if the passengers use the cars as the CTA Tattler indicates they do, none of this probably makes much difference. CTA does have to wash out the puke.

The 5000s will run as 6-car trains.

I see what you mean. Green line #5000's only are being tested from morning rush periods to evening rush periods weekdays only. There is no weekend testing on the green line. So no need to not have a six car train. Kind of surprising to me, considering the exposure they had on the Red line. So based on that theory, with the Red line running 8 cars on the weekend and no other line doing the same it would seem none of the other lines would have weekend testing. It would seem there testing periods would mirror the Green line's rush to rush schedule.