5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Something I just remembered noticing the other day... I think the top speed on these trains are higher. Or at least they haven't governed them the way they have everything else. I caught up with the 5000-series train on the Dan Ryan the other day on the straightaway between Sox-35th and 47th. The thing was easily going 70mph! I know the rest of the trains have a theoretical top speed of 70mph, but they are limited to 55mph. Either the speedometer in my car is way off, or the 5000s aren't limited in this way. Or perhaps the lower speed isn't necessary due to the enhanced suspension in the 5000s, so you can go 70 but it doesn't *feel* like 70, if you catch my meaning.

They do have a top speed of 70 mph. But during the testing phase they will only be ran up to speeds of 55mph. On a down grade they can climb to speeds of about 58 mph. But all trains can do this on expressway sections so it's not too unique. That's about the fastest they currently go. I'm not sure if the trackage could take 70mph running. If you remember, as part of the blue line Kennedy rehabilitation tracks were reconfigured to take speeds of 70 mph. Tracks were welded together with all ties replaced and some curves were reconfigured to accept 70mph running. That's the only place that you would probably see 70mph service for now.

They do have a top speed of 70 mph. But during the testing phase they will only be ran up to speeds of 55mph. On a down grade they can climb to speeds of about 58 mph. But all trains can do this on expressway sections so it's not too unique. That's about the fastest they currently go. I'm not sure if the trackage could take 70mph running. If you remember, as part of the blue line Kennedy rehabilitation tracks were reconfigured to take speeds of 70 mph. Tracks were welded together with all ties replaced and some curves were reconfigured to accept 70mph running. That's the only place that you would probably see 70mph service for now.

You can tell me that, but I'm telling you what I saw. The train remained stationary to my point of reference on my car. My GPS said I was going 70mph. My speedometer read 75, but we all know how accurate those are.

You can tell me that, but I'm telling you what I saw. The train remained stationary to my point of reference on my car. My GPS said I was going 70mph. My speedometer read 75, but we all know how accurate those are.

I'm not saying your wrong, but that is the official response you would have gotten from CTA officials. I've been told the trains can't speed to 70 mph. That they are restricted to 55. Whether someone can go around that and speed to 70 I don't know, but they would be probably going against procedure.

Hey does anyone know what line will the 5000's be tested on next?? I rode them last sat from 95th and I'm going to catch them again this sat so I'm once again excited about that. And this time around I'll try to take some pics and post them lol.

Hey does anyone know what line will the 5000's be tested on next??

There was talk about the Green Line being next. I'm guessing this will be the order for testing(if any of these are correct, I'll be suprised... if ALL are right, I'd be REALLY suprised)

Red, Green, Purple, Yellow, Pink, Orange, Blue, Brown. Then on to whatever line they end up on as their new homes. My top possibilities are...

Blue(CTA's reported assignment for them)

Purple(2400's in need of retirement)

Green(Same as Purple)

Oddest possibility, but mentionable since expansion has occured....

Brown and Orange(Not the most possible assignments unless the CTA decides to reassign the 3200's from here to retire the 2200's and 2400's. But this is a possibility, considering how bad the 5000's will be after a few weeks on the Blue Line after the homeless travelers turn them into $1.6 million dollar portable restrooms and hotels)

May 5, 2010: I waited OVER 2 HOURS at the Howard station to ride the new 5000-series train, and I finally did after months and months. I took it from Howard (we left at 7:18 p.m.) to Jackson (I got there at 8:00 on the dot). When I got off, I thanked the lady who was driving the train and, when it pulled off, I gave it two thumbs up and gave it an applause! :)

There was talk about the Green Line being next. I'm guessing this will be the order for testing(if any of these are correct, I'll be suprised... if ALL are right, I'd be REALLY suprised)

Red, Green, Purple, Yellow, Pink, Orange, Blue, Brown. Then on to whatever line they end up on as their new homes. My top possibilities are...

Blue(CTA's reported assignment for them)

Purple(2400's in need of retirement)

Green(Same as Purple)

Oddest possibility, but mentionable since expansion has occured....

Brown and Orange(Not the most possible assignments unless the CTA decides to reassign the 3200's from here to retire the 2200's and 2400's. But this is a possibility, considering how bad the 5000's will be after a few weeks on the Blue Line after the homeless travelers turn them into $1.6 million dollar portable restrooms and hotels)

I believe the Green Line is next for testing. IMO, I believe the Blue Line would be the last line for testing.

1. It is isolated from the rest of the system. It is pretty easy to get the 5000s to any of the 7 other lines so it makes sense to make the Blue last.

2. Since I believe the Blue is the first line slated to actually receive the majority of the 406 rail cars, it would only make sense to have the test cars there already. It is still possible that the cars may go back to Skokie for a month before the order is actually commenced, but if the Blue Line is last in testing, you have a month of cleaning after the homeless have turned the cars into what you have deemed portable restrooms and hotels.

...you have a month of cleaning after the homeless have turned the cars into what you have deemed portable restrooms and hotels.

I have nothing to contribute on what line is next, but the CTA Tattler sure had something today on the latter point.

And the employee riding told me that the 5000's are going to the blue line after testing

Like I said... 1.6 million dollar Hotels and Restrooms for the Homeless... I remember reading a story(on the old CTA Tattler years ago) about a homeless lady lifting up a seat in what has been deemed "Hobo Corner" on the older rail cars and leaving a pile that emptied that car and even made the rail operator walk out of the car gagging after a passenger reported it and he went to investigate. It was either the Blue or Red Line, both have an amazing number of Homeless people riding late at night when the disgusting action like this takes place. I feel bad that the 5000-Series Railcars are going to a line that will mess them up before their first month of service concludes.

I think, before new equipment is put on lines like the Blue and Red, the nighttime Homeless problem should be addressed and taken care of on the Blue and Red Lines. I'm not saying the other lines are Homeless free, but I've never read stories like the one above on any other lines except the Blue and Red Lines.

I think, before new equipment is put on lines like the Blue and Red, the nighttime Homeless problem should be addressed and taken care of on the Blue and Red Lines. I'm not saying the other lines are Homeless free, but I've never read stories like the one above on any other lines except the Blue and Red Lines.

This seems like CTA Tattler territory, but considering that only the Red and Blue have full owl service, you have your point.

Like I said... 1.6 million dollar Hotels and Restrooms for the Homeless... I remember reading a story(on the old CTA Tattler years ago) about a homeless lady lifting up a seat in what has been deemed "Hobo Corner" on the older rail cars and leaving a pile that emptied that car and even made the rail operator walk out of the car gagging after a passenger reported it and he went to investigate. It was either the Blue or Red Line, both have an amazing number of Homeless people riding late at night when the disgusting action like this takes place. I feel bad that the 5000-Series Railcars are going to a line that will mess them up before their first month of service concludes.

Well the Red and Blue are more heavily used for one, and they're both the only 24 hour rail lines in the system. The homeless issue is not going away anytime soon like it or not, but in the meantime CTA can't continue to carry on with so many 30-40+ yr old rail cars. What are they suppose to do? They can't say 'You're homeless so you can't ride our trains'. They also can't keep the new rail cars on lock down in the rail yards because of a fear that their going to get dirty. It is a big city and the homeless aren't the only way these cars can be dirtied. Getting dirty comes with the territory of being in service in any big city. That's almost like saying the 4400s, 5300s, 5800s and most recently 6000s shouldn't have been retired because the newer buses now in place are used on routes that pass through not so nice neighborhoods.

but in the meantime CTA can't continue to carry on with 40+ yr old rail cars.

I'm not saying keep the 2200's... but not all of the 2400's are going to be retired, plus the CTA has over 400 2600's and nearly 260 3200's. Some of these can be transferred to replace the 2200's

What are they suppose to do? They can't say 'You're homeless so you can't ride our trains'. It's a complex issue.

Again, we can't prevent them from riding, but I think at the end of the lines(O'Hare and Forest Park on the Blue Line and 95th and Howard on the Red Line), there should be Police or Security to go through the cars and remove those homeless sleeping in the cars all night(those are probably the ones who deficate on the "L")

I'm not saying keep the 2200's... but not all of the 2400's are going to be retired, plus the CTA has over 400 2600's and nearly 260 3200's. Some of these can be transferred to replace the 2200's

All of the 2400s are going to be retired by the time that the order for the other 396 5000s is filled. For operating reasons, CTA certainly can't say that the heaviest lines don't get the new cars, especially since they don't train with others, and it wouldn't make sense to have them in essentially light or part time duty on the Purple, Pink, and Green Lines.

I agree with your point that the cars should be swept (in more sense than one) at the terminal.

Well the Red and Blue are more heavily used for one, and they're both the only 24 hour rail lines in the system. The homeless issue is not going away anytime soon like it or not, but in the meantime CTA can't continue to carry on with so many 30-40+ yr old rail cars. What are they suppose to do? They can't say 'You're homeless so you can't ride our trains'. They also can't keep the new rail cars on lock down in the rail yards because of a fear that their going to get dirty. It is a big city and the homeless aren't the only way these cars can be dirtied. Getting dirty comes with the territory of being in service in any big city. That's almost like saying the 4400s, 5300s, 5800s and most recently 6000s shouldn't have been retired because the newer buses now in place are used on routes that pass through not so nice neighborhoods.

You make a really good point and you couldn't have said it any better. This is a big city and although it is homeless people who sleep on the trains at night you cant just say they will be the only reason the new cars will be dirty. This is a big city with alot of people in it.

You make a really good point and you couldn't have said it any better. This is a big city and although it is homeless people who sleep on the trains at night you cant just say they will be the only reason the new cars will be dirty. This is a big city with alot of people in it.

Yes. With the Red Line alone, you got the Division stop, which is near the Rush St. bar scene. There's Fullerton near DePaul University where I've seen plenty of college kids drunk off their tales getting off. Not to mention it's near a stretch of mainstream bars south of the Boystown bar stretch. There's Belmont and Addison near the Wrigleyville and Boystown bar scenes. There's Loyola where you've got potential for pretty drunk Loyola students after a night at the bars at Rush, Wrigleyville or some big party with friends living south of the Loyola campus. Any time you got a potential for drunk passengers, there's that potential that someone overdid it enough to puke on the train. Also you have people in general who eat on trains and leave their trash, which can sometimes include half-eaten morsels, on the seats and floors.

In NYC, we have a "fumigation" procedure at every terminal especially when a train proceeds beyond the station to a yard or relay tracks. The train sits there and is literally searched for a few minutes before it leaves the station, like at Continental Av, Forest Hills and Broad St, Lower Manhattan.

Is that done at Howard ?

Seems to me the Red Line situation with the drunks in Lincoln Park and Boystown will be getting worse with the earlier shut down of #8 and #36 bus service. 1am is early to go to bed for these people on Friday and Saturday.

The schedule for the next 4 weeks of testing has been distributed. As expected by many, the next line to receive the 5000s for testing is the Green Line.

The first passenger trip on Green will be next Monday morning, 5/17, out of Harlem at 6:20 a.m. The 6-car consist will make 5 round trips a day - 3 to Ashland, 2 to Cottage.

Whooo hooo!!! That's great news can't wait to catch them on the green line. But my question is do anyone know why they decided to choose the grreen line as the 2nd line for testing? Was it easier to switch the 5000's to the green line than any other line?? Just wondering.

I finally got my chance to ride the 5000's on the red line this past weekend, and the employee riding told me that the 5000's are going to the blue line after testing

They could use them. On the weekend I spotted 15 carry on bags in the same car. The airport service to O'Hare is getting very popular. They could use the extra floor space. To answer why the Green Line next? I would say because they wouldn't stand out as much on the orange or brown with most of the same cars looking similar. Also there's the possibility someone could mistake those for #3200's in the yard and try and hook them up. That's going to be a problem in the long term, that's why I see those being delivered to one or two lines and probably not on the same line with #3200's. (only for a test)

Oh ok that's makes sense but still if they were to do that I don't see how they wouldn't be able to tell them apart I mean all you have to do is look at the number on the cars. But if you ask me the 3200 and 5000 don't look that much alike besides the ruffled sides they( the 5000's) resemble the classic 6000 series (from the outside) and even the 2600's.

Oh ok that's makes sense but still if they were to do that I don't see how they wouldn't be able to tell them apart I mean all you have to do is look at the number on the cars. But if you ask me the 3200 and 5000 don't look that much alike besides the ruffled sides they( the 5000's) resemble the classic 6000 series (from the outside) and even the 2600's.

Also besides looking at the numbers, all that needs to be done is to look at the destination sign area of the cars. Destinations signs on 3200s will have a display regardless of if they're powered and in service or not. That wouldn't be the case with a 5000 series unit.