5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Green line #5000's only are being tested from morning rush periods to evening rush periods weekdays only. There is no weekend testing on the green line. So no need to not have a six car train. Kind of surprising to me, considering the exposure they had on the Red line. So based on that theory, with the Red line running 8 cars on the weekend and no other line doing the same it would seem none of the other lines would have weekend testing. It would seem there testing periods would mirror the Green line's rush to rush schedule.

When the schedule for the Green Line testing was released, there were 5 round trips scheduled each Saturday and Sunday on the Green Line - from about 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. - similar to the weekday schedule. Of course, everything is open to revision.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to a source who pointed out some errors in the Test Period table, I think this is more closer to, if not the actual Test Period table for the 5000-Series Rail Cars.

5000-Series Test Period

If each line gets 4 weeks, this should be the period of time on each line...(Updated)

April 19-May 16: Red Line

May 17-TBA: Green Line(testing suspended until further notice due to potential mechanical failure)

TBD-TBD: Line #3

TBD-TBD: Line #4

TBD-TBD: Line #5

TBD-TBD: Line #6

TBD-TBD: Line #7

TBD-TBD: Line #8

So what exactly is the scheduele for the 5000's on the Green Line?? I know they put the full scheduele out for the Red Line I just wanna know because I plan on riding them on the Green Line just wanna catch them right on time.

Random chatter indicates these trains haven't been seen in service since some time last week.

I had a feeling something was going to come up with the brakes. I hope that Bombadier doesn't become the "L" version of NABI.

So the Green line only tested for a few days. I wonder if the #5000's test period there will be cut down now. There's only so much time to test before the end of the year.

This might explain why the cars have gone AWOL. The cars have been pulled from service.

Actually, another big news item from that article (though not rail-related) is that the "Go Lane" is going away on the buses.

Meanwhile, the CTA is ending a five-year-old experiment on buses to speed up passenger boarding by relocating the electronic reader for Chicago Cards to the left of the front door.

Starting Monday, the transit agency will begin repositioning the "touch and go'' card reader onto the farebox equipment near the driver.

I got a great new picture of the train at Loyola last week! Check It Out :D I still haven't had the opportunity to ride one.post-287-12726394857858_thumb.jpg

I edited this picture for use on widescreen computers (My laptop uses a 1280 x 800 resolution), via cropping the bottom a bit so it isn't distorted.

Would it be OK if I posted my modified version? I would like to post it as it does look good as a computer desktop wallpaper.

So the Green line only tested for a few days. I wonder if the #5000's test period there will be cut down now. There's only so much time to test before the end of the year.

If these quotes from the press release page hold true, the order for more 5000-Series may be put off until sometime in January 2011.

Once the adjustment has been made, the rail cars will be tested out-of-service before resuming testing again on the Green Line in a few weeks.

"Testing new rail cars is a long process. We need to be able to evaluate their performance against a number of variables," said CTA President Richard L. Rodriguez. "Thorough testing on each line gives us the opportunity to make adjustments as needed. We want to be sure the cars perform satisfactorily in all weather conditions and under the normal wear and tear they’ll experience on our system. We don’t plan to finalize our order until all of the mechanisms have been satisfactorily tested and evaluated."

The prototype rail cars will ultimately undergo testing across all eight of CTA’s rail lines through the end of this year. The 10 prototype rail cars are being tested to evaluate performance under real-world operating conditions. The rail cars must successfully complete testing before CTA will authorize the delivery of the remaining 396 rail cars.

Even if the 5000-Series are tested without passengers for say one week before reinstating them on the Green Line, it'll push testing into December(before this glitch, I re-worked the timetable which initally showed the last testing would've occured around Nov 28). And with the Green Line not getting a full week in yet, since greenstreet reported that they were pulled at some point last week(May 17-22, first week on the Green Line), they'll probably give the Green Line another full four week test period once out-of-service testing is completed after Bombadier fixes the brake issues. If Bombadier is prompt in solving the brake issue, look for the 5000-Series to be tested not in service about June 6 and a return to the Green Line around June 13 or June 20.

I edited this picture for use on widescreen computers (My laptop uses a 1280 x 800 resolution), via cropping the bottom a bit so it isn't distorted.

Would it be OK if I posted my modified version? I would like to post it as it does look good as a computer desktop wallpaper.

ok, as long as I am credited as the original photographer.

Just opinion, but since CTA said that testing was necessary before giving the production order, that is what testing is all about. None of us (unless one of us is the super executive vice president of rail operations) knows what the schedule is, what the impact of anything found during testing will be, nor the cause of the problem. Blaming CTA maintenance at this point is like saying the computer problems on a 2010 Lexus were caused by the driver.

At least we don't have the NABI story of "we know it didn't pass a government mandated test, but we're "conditionally" taking them anyway." Apparently a 2010 railcar is more complicated than even a 1993 one.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey does anybody know if the 5000's are back on the Green Line or not??. Just wondering because I didn't know how long it would be again before they put them back on.

Still saw them parked at the Skokie Shops yesterday, looks like some of them were up on the lift (or whatever it's called). I'd imagine the CTA would make a big deal about announcing that they are back in service.

Still saw them parked at the Skokie Shops yesterday, looks like some of them were up on the lift (or whatever it's called). I'd imagine the CTA would make a big deal about announcing that they are back in service.

Today while on a NB Red Line train at Jarvis, I spotted a 4 car 5000 train (cars 5009- 5012) on the NB Purple Line tracks, with car 5011 having red, black and blue electrical cables coming through an open standee window near the doors and the wiring coming outside of the train. I proceeded to get off at Howard, walked to Clark for a few minutes then returned to board a SB train. The same 5000 series train was now on the inner NB track at Howard station behind a Yellow Line train, which immediately departed. Before I could get my cell phone out to take a pic, the 5000 series train pulled out right behind the Yellow Line train.

BTW, there were several CTA people on the train in every car, most notably the car with the wiring (which I think was car 5011).

Today while on a NB Red Line train at Jarvis, I spotted a 4 car 5000 train (cars 5009- 5012) on the NB Purple Line tracks, with car 5011 having red, black and blue electrical cables coming through an open standee window near the doors and the wiring coming outside of the train. I proceeded to get off at Howard, walked to Clark for a few minutes then returned to board a SB train. The same 5000 series train was now on the inner NB track at Howard station behind a Yellow Line train, which immediately departed. Before I could get my cell phone out to take a pic, the 5000 series train pulled out right behind the Yellow Line train.

BTW, there were several CTA people on the train in every car, most notably the car with the wiring (which I think was car 5011).

Sounds like it has more than just brake problems.

I haven't seen any new updates from any of the chicagobus.org members, and since I found this under the 5000-Series page there on chicago-l.org, I'll ask are the 5000's back in service on the Green Line again?

The CTA temporarily removed the 5000-series prototype rail cars from service on Thursday, May 20, 2010 so that engineers could install and test a modification to the braking system. Bombardier had been working on a modification that will improve the operation of the brakes. Although the test trains did not experienced any failure, under certain conditions a component was found to be affected. Vibrations were affecting a component in the braking system, CTA engineers found. According to the Chicago Tribune, the vibrations could possibly cause the "slack adjuster'' in the brake to loosen and result in a loss of braking friction during extended use. The slack adjuster makes accommodations for the amount of wear on the brake pads over time. The retrofit was performed at Skokie Shops, and once the adjustment was made the rail cars were tested out-of-service beginning June 7, 2010, before resuming testing again on the Green Line a few weeks later.

It's been 11 days since testing began, and the last sentence sounds like they're up and running again in revenue service.

I haven't seen any new updates from any of the chicagobus.org members, and since I found this under the 5000-Series page there on chicago-l.org, I'll ask are the 5000's back in service on the Green Line again?

The CTA temporarily removed the 5000-series prototype rail cars from service on Thursday, May 20, 2010 so that engineers could install and test a modification to the braking system. Bombardier had been working on a modification that will improve the operation of the brakes. Although the test trains did not experienced any failure, under certain conditions a component was found to be affected. Vibrations were affecting a component in the braking system, CTA engineers found. According to the Chicago Tribune, the vibrations could possibly cause the "slack adjuster'' in the brake to loosen and result in a loss of braking friction during extended use. The slack adjuster makes accommodations for the amount of wear on the brake pads over time. The retrofit was performed at Skokie Shops, and once the adjustment was made the rail cars were tested out-of-service beginning June 7, 2010, before resuming testing again on the Green Line a few weeks later.

It's been 11 days since testing began, and the last sentence sounds like they're up and running again in revenue service.

Well, normally I'd say that you could rely on what you read on Chicago-L.org. It's maintained by Graham Garfield, who works for CTA, and should have reliable information. And except for the last sentence, that paragraph you posted is word for word what is on CTA's website. And the way the sentence is worded, in the past tense, sure seems to indicate what you have inferred from it -- that the cars have resumed testing on the Green Line. But, although the Chicago-L post says testing, it doesn't say that the testing includes in-service (revenue) testing.

However, Chicago-L.org's general reliability notwithstanding, my contacts at CTA say that although they continue testing the cars and the brake modifications, the cars have not gone to the Green Line yet (again) - not for out-of-service or in-service testing.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, with not even a sliver of information regarding the 5000's, I wonder if there is more wrong with these railcars than just brakes. The statement I got, that railfan4072 pointed out, said that the cars were tested Not In Service on June 7th, and approx. 1 month later, still no word about these cars. It's almost like they disappeared off the face of the CTA's Earth. Could Bombadier be the NABI of "L" cars?