5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

woo whooo the 5000's are making a comeback lol I hope theyre back in revenue service soon I want to ride them again too

Last I knew, the 95th yard didn't serve the Pink Line. Maybe this indicates starting another period of testing.

• Upvote 1

Anyone know when these series of cars will be back in service? I am planning to visit Chicago soon and I want to be certain they are in service before I come.

To clarify my perhaps facetious remark above, the home page has a link to a Tribune story, which says "No timetable for return of equipment pulled more than a month ago."

They are testing with sandbags, they were in route ti skokie shops, and ran today i believe as run 904

That's good news to hear I hope they are able to return to service soon. In all honesty I really like the 5000 series I just wish the seating arrangements were like the older series you know "chicago style" then they would be absolutely perfect but either way I like them.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps that was why a few 6000-series cars (mainly those from the original 1950-51 deliveries, with numbers between 6001 and 6200) were temporarily assigned to the West-South (Lake-Dan Ryan) Route. Otherwise, while the issues with the 2200s were being fixed, the Lake-Dan Ryan ran mostly with 2000-series cars delivered from Pullman in 1964. And again during 1977-78, some 6000s numbered in the 6001-6200 group were also temporarily assigned to the Lake-Dan Ryan route (this situation lasted only until enough 2400-series cars were delivered from Boeing-Vertol to cover base service on all of the lines that they were assigned to at the time).

The West-Northwest (Congress-Douglas-Milwaukee) Route was not as adversely affected since that line had enough 6000s (the later ones, numbered from 6511-6720) to cover most service on that line, supplemented by a handful of single-unit 1-50 series double-ended cars (which were delivered simultaneously with the last 50 6000s in 1959-60).

Now wait a moment. :huh: When I matriculated at Univ. of Illinois Chicago Circle {nee} from 1976-78, during rush hours, the six-car consists of 6000-series trains had a 6001-6200 series car in the center. These had the exterior window guards needed due to "tight clearances on the Kennedy Expressway" IIRC. There still were 2200s on the West-Northwest route. Since West-Northwest already had 6000s [6551-6720] (by then 6511-6550 had shifted to North-South), I highly doubt CTA assigned 6000s to West-South. I really doubt there were these low-numbered 6000s on the West-South route. :o

Now wait a moment. :huh: When I matriculated at Univ. of Illinois Chicago Circle {nee} from 1976-78, during rush hours, the six-car consists of 6000-series trains had a 6001-6200 series car in the center. These had the exterior window guards needed due to "tight clearances on the Kennedy Expressway" IIRC. There still were 2200s on the West-Northwest route. Since West-Northwest already had 6000s [6551-6720] (by then 6511-6550 had shifted to North-South), I highly doubt CTA assigned 6000s to West-South. I really doubt there were these low-numbered 6000s on the West-South route. :o

I believe you are correct. The only time I saw 6000s on the Lake-Dan Ryan was immediately following the Blizzard of '79.

Today I saw a 4 car consist of.5000s in Harlem yard. It was 5066/5065 and 5041//5042. Also saw 5044/5043 and anothet 4 car.consist made up of 5016/15 & 5053/54. Also saw 5 19/20. In addition there was at least one 8 car 3200 seried set.

The 5000s are there for testing and training purposes.

As for the 3200s in Harlem/Lake yard, they do occasionally run on the Green Line - and only at those times when more cars are needed (since that line has lost some of its 2400s to the Purple Line recently).

The 5000s are there for testing and training purposes.

As for the 3200s in Harlem/Lake yard, they do occasionally run on the Green Line - and only at those times when more cars are needed (since that line has lost some of its 2400s to the Purple Line recently).

The only reason I mentioned the 5000s being there is because they have been out of commission for awhile. No one has spotted them testing recently, so the sighting makes me wonder when they will resume testing and when can we expect them to re-enter revenue service again. BTW, none of the cars have moved today.

About 3:45 this afternoon, I happened to see a 4 car set of 5000's passing through the Wellington stop going southbound on the Brown Line. The destination signs read "NOT IN SERVCE". It didn't stop at the station, but they were on the Brown Line tracks because a Red Line train passed by about 5 seconds later. I couldn't get any actual car numbers, but they were 5000's for sure because the destination signs were LED's

Had to be doing some testing I figured.

On my way home tonight (about 8:00), I saw a string of 12 5000's going over the Chicago River bridge on Lake Street headed into the Loop. They were all dark and were signed "NOT IN SERVICE" (obviously).

A string of 12 eh? I never heard of that many cta cars together like that at once but im sure they were probably being transported from one place to another instead of being tested or in service.

On my way home tonight (about 8:00), I saw a string of 12 5000's going over the Chicago River bridge on Lake Street headed into the Loop. They were all dark and were signed "NOT IN SERVICE" (obviously).

Well when(or if, hopefully not the latter) these railcars return to service, only time will tell....

I wonder if the order of allotting 5000s will remain the same. Remember the Pink Line was first in receiving them and the Green Line was set to get them second. But based on my sightings of 5000s in the Harlem Yard and this:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/02/20/rash-of-robberies-plague-green-line-on-south-side/

which is on the homepage, I wonder if the Green Line could be poised to get them first in revenue service this time around. I think these thugs figured out there are cameras in all of the stations, so they commit their crimes inside the train and throw the victim off to keep from being identified. But if there were cameras on the train, like the 5000s, perhaps this crime doesn't happen, at least not on the Green Line.

Slightly OT, but I wonder if the cameras on the buses help nab those guys that were involved in the battery and robbery on that 71st street bus.

I wonder if the order of allotting 5000s will remain the same...

I really doubt that anyone in charge of CTA is thinking that much ahead. Heck, they haven't even given an indication when the trains will be back in service.*

What they really need are more cops riding the trains in that neighborhood, as the cameras only deter after the fact. Even Scooter Libby on the CTA Tattler has said that things are out of control south of 35th.

________

*The only real connection is that this story, as well as file footage I've seen on other stations now uses 5000s, even though those trains are not involved in any recent event.

According to what I saw a preview on WBBM News about Robbery went on "L" train today. I hope they'll planning on as well put the Cameras on the older equipment since 2600s will be around probably few more years, should also put Cameras on 2200s/ 2400s as well if the 5000s are not going to return to service by next year, it will solve the crime, 2600s/ 2400s should get them immediately because Red Line/ Green Lines serves rough neighborhoods from side to other side of City like Rogers Park, Uptown, All South Side, West Side. Orange Line needs Cameras as well, most of their 3200s continues gets graffiti issues.

I was by the Harlem Yard earlier today. I saw eight 5000-series cars (in numerical order: 5001-5002, 5019-5020, 5039-5040 and 5071-5072). In addition, I saw a bunch of 3200-series cars stored there (more likely because the Kimball Yard does not have enough space to store all of the cars that are officially assigned to the Brown Line), of which I could see the numbers on only one of the pairs (3311-3312).