1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

And that proves my point to a certain degree about reading too much into a bus being at South Shops for a few weeks.

I don't know about all just yet, as far as the short term goes, considering NFs that so far have left 77th to push some Novas out of 74th are going there so far as part of a split between 74th and 103rd. Plus it's not set in stone or even a given that the number of 7900s assigned to 77th to free up NFs there will go that far beyond 100 buses especially in light of next year's budget reflecting CTA plans to obtain the full 450 7900s and not just the 300 base order. Unless they start having further NFs displaced from 77th by 7900s all go to 74th and quit splitting them between 74th and 103rd or other garages, I think it still may take some time for 74th to lose all its Nova 6400s especially when they still have somewhere about 125 of them on their rosters.

I'm still trying to figure out how the hell #1142 and #1144 made their ways to Kedzie despite it was theirs first respectably. #1721 still @ Chicago doesn't make any logical sense along with #1997-98 @ North Park and #1901-02 @ 77th. Why manipulate the rosters??? If 77th indeed gets all 300 new Novas then all remaining NF's have to go. Forest Glen has to get some back at least 100-150 of them (I'm hoping next year before fall picks). Otherwise, it's gonna be hell with maintenance costs and breakdowns. You're absolutely right, it's going to take some time but all these unusual NF's transitions needs to be adjusted.

I was thinking if 77th gets a whole fleet of #7900's, then logically a north side garage gets the rest. Remember how I said there would be 150-160 left out of the 450 If 77th doesn't get back it's artics it lost. Well guess what north side garage could use 150 buses and have one type of 40 foot bus fleet? North Park. Wouldn't that be something. Probably not fair to Fg to do that, but when has the CTA last showed an interest in what happens there? I think Fg does deserve those #7900's though. I really don't see any hope of Fg ever getting anything new if they don't get some novas off the 450 order. In twelve years what have they got new? 5-10 Optimas?

I was thinking if 77th gets a whole fleet of #7900's, then logically a north side garage gets the rest. Remember how I said there would be 150-160 left out of the 450 If 77th doesn't get back it's artics it lost. Well guess what north side garage could use 150 buses and have one type of 40 foot bus fleet? North Park. Wouldn't that be something. Probably not fair to Fg to do that, but when has the CTA last showed an interest in what happens there? I think Fg does deserve those #7900's though. I really don't see any hope of Fg ever getting anything new if they don't get some novas off the 450 order. In twelve years what have they got new? 5-10 Optimas?

I wonder who's really in charge of bus operations excluding Claypool? Is there any legitimate reasons why Forest Glen is a "lone duck" garage with less opportunities when it comes to new equipment and fleet??? Something isn't adding up about it....

I wonder who's really in charge of bus operations excluding Claypool? Is there any legitimate reasons why Forest Glen is a "lone duck" garage with less opportunities when it comes to new equipment and fleet??? Something isn't adding up about it....

Claypool wouldn't know anything about it. He's only there to say "Rahm says."

Probably someone like Vice President--Bus Operations, General Manager,Bus Operations, Director--Bus Operations or Director Maintenance-Bus. You can look at the salary spreadsheet.

Rehabbed: #1411

Getting rehabbed: #1605 #1694 #1784 along with 7 unknown inside the shop

Awaiting for rehab: #1295

Questionable for rehab preparation or out of service: #1031 #1187 #1216 #1292 #1670 #1673 #1696 #1786 #1873 #1989

Other Notes: The Clever Devices are starting to be mounted on the far left side with the original spot has been patched on some rehabbed NF's. As shown in photo of #1080.

post-1364-0-11932900-1414861055_thumb.jp

Questionable for rehab preparation or out of service: #1031 #1187 #1216 #1292 #1670 #1673 #1696 #1786 #1873 #1989

Other Notes: The Clever Devices are starting to be mounted on the far left side with the original spot has been patched on some rehabbed NF's. As shown in photo of #1080.

It probably makes it easier to access there from what I can see while the driver is in his/her seat. From it's present spot, the driver would have to stand to interact with the Clever Devices unit

#1080 and the others with this might be test buses, and if they come back with positive reviews, the fleet will be brought in to have them adjusted(this work probably only takes a few hours tops per bus).

I'm still trying to figure out how the hell #1142 and #1144 made their ways to Kedzie despite it was theirs first respectably. #1721 still @ Chicago doesn't make any logical sense along with #1997-98 @ North Park and #1901-02 @ 77th. Why manipulate the rosters??? If 77th indeed gets all 300 new Novas then all remaining NF's have to go. Forest Glen has to get some back at least 100-150 of them (I'm hoping next year before fall picks). Otherwise, it's gonna be hell with maintenance costs and breakdowns. You're absolutely right, it's going to take some time but all these unusual NF's transitions needs to be adjusted.

With the rehabs ongoing, we'll just have to endure unusual bus placements like this in the name of keeping service operating, which is always top priority over trying to maintain numerical sequences among garage assignments.

I don't think even CTA management is that dumb.

• Upvote 2

It probably makes it easier to access there from what I can see while the driver is in his/her seat. From it's present spot, the driver would have to stand to interact with the Clever Devices unit

#1080 and the others with this might be test buses, and if they come back with positive reviews, the fleet will be brought in to have them adjusted(this work probably only takes a few hours tops per bus).

1480 and 116X have them also. The driver of 1480 told me that they (CTA) wanted to get rid of the other box also and that there is a new clever device on a couple of busses that can record drivers voices. Maybe 7900? She didn't elaborate.
  • Upvote 2

This is awesome from an operators view point cause it's easier to log in and you don't have to worry about standing up to do it only to re log in cause you was out of your seat longer Than 8secs which caused it to log off in the 1st place lol which can be frustrating at times if you not as smooth as me when it comes to logging on the clever device with out it logging back off. I go back to work tomorrow hopefully they started doing this to some of our buses at 103rd but now I'm curious as to where will they place the mdt at now that the clever device took its place? I'll ask around about it to get more info.
  • Upvote 1

This is awesome from an operators view point cause it's easier to log in and you don't have to worry about standing up to do it only to re log in cause you was out of your seat longer Than 8secs which caused it to log off in the 1st place lol which can be frustrating at times if you not as smooth as me when it comes to logging on the clever device with out it logging back off. I go back to work tomorrow hopefully they started doing this to some of our buses at 103rd but now I'm curious as to where will they place the mdt at now that the clever device took its place? I'll ask around about it to get more info.

You better hope you get one that's rehabbed! :P :lol:

So apparently cta decided to switch the clever device from the top of the bus to where the mdt was. Someone took a pic of bus 1080 with the update but they're also doing this on the 4300's. I had 4310 earlier today on the 6. I asked earlier too about where they were going to put the mdt but it looks like they're phasing the old boxes out the "new" clever device is a 2 in 1 meaning it works both as a clever device as well as a mobile data terminal.

So apparently cta decided to switch the clever device from the top of the bus to where the mdt was. Someone took a pic of bus 1080 with the update but they're also doing this on the 4300's. I had 4310 earlier today on the 6. I asked earlier too about where they were going to put the mdt but it looks like they're phasing the old boxes out the "new" clever device is a 2 in 1 meaning it works both as a clever device as well as a mobile data terminal.

You might explain to us who don't drive what the two are. Are you saying that they are getting rid of the Orbital box (usually on the left pillar of the windshield)?

You might explain to us who don't drive what the two are. Are you saying that they are getting rid of the Orbital box (usually on the left pillar of the windshield)?

Yea the box with the green light in the upper left corner on the drivers side (in the new flyers only) in the novas theyre located on the lower right side next to the operator which is called the mdt that's what we use to contact the control center ex: bus problems, delays, emergencies and etc. They are getting rid of those models and replacing them with the clever device which is normally right above the operators head. I guess they updated them by combining what you use the mdt for with the clever device. Sorry for not explaining what they were before I honestly thought you knew what I was talking about you have a lot of knowledge when it comes to cta both bus and rail so I just assumed yall knew that as well.

Yea the box with the green light in the upper left corner on the drivers side (in the new flyers only) in the novas theyre located on the lower right side next to the operator which is called the mdt that's what we use to contact the control center ex: bus problems, delays, emergencies and etc. They are getting rid of those models and replacing them with the clever device which is normally right above the operators head. I guess they updated them by combining what you use the mdt for with the clever device. Sorry for not explaining what they were before I honestly thought you knew what I was talking about you have a lot of knowledge when it comes to cta both bus and rail so I just assumed yall knew that as well.

Only a question of terminology.

I always thought it a bit strange that CTA had two systems (Orbital and Clever Devices) while most TAs only have one, but it took a little thought to comprehend that CTA was getting around to combining them.

That's a weird place for the Clever Devices to be.