1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

1004 on the 87?? Must have been a loaner from 103rd.

Between this sighting and 1544 being on Halsted, it seems 77th's possibly testing some of the rehabbed 1000's on its on routes before sending them back to their respective garages. Either that or using these to fill in for its own fleet as it goes in for rehab

If #1955 lighting is that white then I'm assume the the Cta can kiss the dark blue/purpleish hue goodbye for the NF's1630-2029.

I used to ride 1955 a lot and it had all sorts of lighting in that bus. Some were from its current series, some were from the first batch of 1000s and there was one set that I know that came from either the 6000 series Flxs or the 4400 series TMCs. At best, 1955 has consistent lighting, which would make it brighter by default.

This might sound crazy but #1630 is rehabbed. Spotted it on 79th last night leaving from 77th. It's wrapped up and the lighting is very different because the previous dark blue/purpleish hue no longer exist anymore.

#1630 is definitely rehabbed. It's on the #82. Someone vandalized #1332 on the same route with about 4 to 5 foot block letters on the side of the bus on the right side from the ad rack to the rear. That bus needs to go to rehab!!

Two comments - 1420-1629 are notorious for having no exterior lights. Problem is a faulty circuit breaker installed in this series. Hopefully will get corrected during rehab. Also, this series is very rough shifting. This probably can't be corrected as might be just the "nature of the beast"

I think u might mean 1430-1629. That's actually the range in which the second of the four different Cummins engines used in the 1000 series NFs are used. The four different Cummins engines in use are ISM6 (1000-1429), ISM7 (1430-1629), ISL7 (1630-1929) and ISL8 (1930-2029). I've noticed that same hard gear shift in the ISM7 buses, mostly when those buses accelerate at a slower speed. I've often wondered if that's something that's endemic to the Cummins ISM7 engine itself, considering buses 1430-1629 use the ZF 6HP594C transmission as 1630-1929 do yet you don't have that same hard gear shift in 1630-1929 as you do buses 1430-1629.

• Upvote 1

#1630 is definitely rehabbed. It's on the #82. Someone vandalized #1332 on the same route with about 4 to 5 foot block letters on the side of the bus on the right side from the ad rack to the rear. That bus needs to go to rehab!!

Well ouch indeed! Do some people don't have anything productive to do on their spare time? How is that possible though without being caught???

Well ouch indeed! Do some people don't have anything productive to do on their spare time? How is that possible though without being caught???

Makes one wonder if Kedzie still parks buses outside at night on both the lot to the south of the garage and along the driveway in front of bay doors they keep closed overnight. Since I haven't lived near the area in the last few years, I don't ride near there at night to see. But it's probably still likely given the number of assigned buses has been more than the garage's official capacity for quite a number of years now, since about when Kedzie first started operating North Lake Shore express routes but even moreso after Archer got closed. If it was one of the buses that might have been parked in front of the garage overnight recently, it easily could have been tagged then.

Makes one wonder if Kedzie still parks buses outside at night on both the lot to the south of the garage and along the driveway in front of bay doors they keep closed overnight. Since I haven't lived near the area in the last few years, I don't ride near there at night to see. But it's probably still likely given the number of assigned buses has been more than the garage's official capacity for quite a number of years now, since about when Kedzie first started operating North Lake Shore express routes but even moreso after Archer got closed. If it was one of the buses that might have been parked in front of the garage overnight recently, it easily could have been tagged then.

I'm surprised 103rd doesn't have this issue (especially buses that line up by the bus stop for routes to and from the terminal) seeing as people carch a bus pretty much on garage grounds not to mention the parking area apparently is open for cars by none CTA employees (don't see signs saying we can't park there, not to mention I've left my car there a few times with no issue). Any serious taggers in the area could easily slip in between J14 buses that sit awaiting next trip and tag them, making a quick getaway in.a car they might possibly have parked in the lot.

Add 1114 to the rehabbed buses list. It has the new brighter light fixtures, new ADA seat inserts and new Clever Devices monitor that signifies a rehab. A couple of external clues to rehabbing that I noticed are new transitchicago.com decals that the buses may not have had previously and on some of the rehabbed buses the illegal right turns in front of bus decals are replaced by one that mentions that it's dangerous to do so and has a pictured symbol of a bus hitting a car.

Has anyone ridden 1411 lately? I don't think it has been rehabbed yet, but I was on it last night and it had a weird sounding stop requested bell that I've never heard on any New Flyer. It was like a two toned bell or something. I was wondering if this is the only bus with that type of bell or if anyone else has noticed buses with unusual stop requested bell sounds.

Some shots of rehabbed #1472 on 71 71st/South Shore.

I notice this one has the external clues that I mentioned noticing on some rehabbed buses: "transitchicago.com" decal (instead of "www.transitchicago.com" for buses that already had website decals before rehabbing) and the "DANGER! It is unlawful to turn in front of bus" (or however it's worded) decals on the rear in place of the older decals that state "It is illegal to make right turns in front of bus".

I notice this one has the external clues that I mentioned noticing on some rehabbed buses: "transitchicago.com" decal (instead of "www.transitchicago.com" for buses that already had website decals before rehabbing) and the "DANGER! It is unlawful to turn in front of bus" (or however it's worded) decals on the rear in place of the older decals that state "It is illegal to make right turns in front of bus".

Hey, I've noticed that myself. Good eyes on that mate :)