Spring Pick 2016

renardo870

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:59 AM, garmon757 said:

Do you know the 77th run numbers of those routes in order for me to make changes on the chicagobus website?

Here is what we have: 376, 904, 074, 515, 816, 641, 386, 261, 631, 406, 073, 372, 704, 478. So 3, 8A, 87, 53A, 79, 52A, 4 all represented. For accounting purposes, though, shuttles are considered part of the 87th run group (though only trippers 073 and 074 are from 87th!)

6 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Here is what we have: 376, 904, 074, 515, 816, 641, 386, 261, 631, 406, 073, 372, 704, 478. So 3, 8A, 87, 53A, 79, 52A, 4 all represented. For accounting purposes, though, shuttles are considered part of the 87th run group (though only trippers 073 and 074 are from 87th!)

Are these interlined with something else between the far south side and downtown, or are they going to be deadheading from 87th or 79th and Perry?

On 1/27/2016 at 9:54 AM, andrethebusman said:

Only definite route shift is that some Ashland school trippers will be going to Kedzie. Other planned changes (but NOT being implemented as of 3/16 according to run sheets) are return of 11 as far south as Fullerton, return of 31st Street, and possible discontinuance of 170-UofC/Midway.

As far as Ashland is concerned, for years there were several morning runs from Limits that worked up to Lakeview HS at Irving Park, then went into 153 or 156 service. I imagine Lakeview still needs some trippers that would probably come across Jackson to Ashland, go up to Irving Park, then go over to Irving Park/Clarendon and the 135.

170's fate seems to be based on the idea that since Hyde Park Exp (not subsidized) runs on 60th in what is at UofC's rush direction, why bother with a separate shuttle that UofC has to pay for?

I come after a near year to some good news apparently! Any more news of 11 extension and/or a 31st street route?

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Ohhhhh you mean where the 8 halsted short turns start and end in the week?

Yes, That is daytime storage for #8

24 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I come after a near year to some good news apparently! Any more news of 11 extension and/or a 31st street route?

#31 was not posted to pick last I heard. May be shelved until summer pick. 

21 minutes ago, Brandon93 said:

I bet you that's why they moved the 120, 121, 125, and 157 to make room at Kedzie for 31st.

I really doubt it. Besides 31 not being instituted on this pick, that would be 1 or 2 buses. Also, all that deadhead wouldn't be justified by that.

27 minutes ago, Brandon93 said:

I bet you that's why they moved the 120, 121, 125, and 157 to make room at Kedzie for 31st.

Not likely. If they bring it back its prior form operating between the Orange Line and Mercy hospital or modified to end in the lakefront area, and given something like a 15 min headway instead of its previous hour headway to make it attractive, it would need no more than probably three or four buses if that. That's far less than the combined total that Kedzie currently uses for 120, 121, 125 and 157. Kedzie isn't going to give those four up for just one light route. Plus 31 is not on the spring pick agenda from what several of our operator members who know how to get that type of info beyond the typical garage rumor have mentioned. Kedzie would likely be gaining something else heavier that we don't yet know of to justify turning over some coverage of 120, 121 and 125 to 77th and possibly giving up the 157 to Chicago. 

58 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Not likely. If they bring it back its prior form operating between the Orange Line and Mercy hospital or modified to end in the lakefront area, and given something like a 15 min headway instead of its previous hour headway to make it attractive, it would need no more than probably three or four buses if that. That's far less than the combined total that Kedzie currently uses for 120, 121, 125 and 157. Kedzie isn't going to give those four up for just one light route. Plus 31 is not on the spring pick agenda from what several of our operator members who know how to get that type of info beyond the typical garage rumor have mentioned. Kedzie would likely be gaining something else heavier that we don't yet know of to justify turning over some coverage of 120, 121 and 125 to 77th and possibly giving up the 157 to Chicago. 

77th is replacing Chicago on 120, 121 and 125 in am rush only as Andre has already posted.

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Maybe more than just a few school runs on the 9. Although probably wouldnt see much artic coverage

14 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

77th is replacing Chicago on 120, 121 and 125 in am rush only as Andre has already posted.

Noted. And I thank you for your "correction", but that doesn't change my point made that Kedzie isn't trading work on those three to make room for return of the 31 because it's too light to give up work on those and 157 and because it isn't even on the spring break agenda.  And my mention of 120, 121 and 125 in regards to Kedzie was more in response to Brandon's mistaken hypothesis that Kedzie was giving up work on them to make room for work on the 31. Andre also posted that 11 and 31 restorations weren't up for consideration for spring pick, yet we still get hypotheses and questions of how buses and routes might change at the garages to accommodate them later this month for spring pick. 

4 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

Kedzie's problem is they have run out of room to park buses. At night there are buses parked outside on the apron. This should at least eliminate that problem.

Yes Kedzie taking on 35 and 39 from 77th didn't exactly help that problem when you'd think part of the problem was getting eased by Kedzie losing 145 through that route's elimination, turning over work on 148 completely to NP upon that route essentially becoming the 144 but routed along Clarendon instead of Marine, giving up the 8 to 77th, sharing AM rush runs on the 12 with Chicago, and turning the rest of what it shared on the 62 (outside of school trippers there were reports it still did) to 74th after initially going from covering that route to sharing it with 74th.

I checked on the CTA website and so far this is what we got coming up;

#18 - 16th/18th

Length:

Sunday, March 27, 2016
to TBD

Impact Level:

Service Change

Full Description:

How does this affect my trip?

The last weekday westbound trip will depart from Roosevelt/Michigan later, at 9:14pm, instead

of 7:20pm.

The last weekday eastbound trip will depart from 16th/Cicero later, at 8:23pm, instead of 6:30pm.

Why is service being changed?

Service hours are being changed to match demand and ridership patterns.

#39 - Pershing

Length:

Sunday, March 27, 2016
to TBD

Impact Level:

Service Change

Full Description:

#39 Pershing buses will no longer operate on Saturdays.

The Saturday service that was added to the #39 route was part of an experiment. Due to low ridership, the experimental service is being discontinued.

#28 - Stony Island

Length:

Sunday, March 27, 2016
to TBD

Impact Level:

Service Change

Full Description:

Northbound service from 103rd/Stony Island will begin later, at 4:45am, instead of 4:05am, on Saturdays, and at 5:05am, instead of 4:05am on Sundays.

Southbound service from 47th/Lake Park will begin later, at 5:12am, instead of 4:40am, on Saturdays, and at 5:32am, instead of 4:35am, on Sundays.

Service hours are being changed to match demand and ridership patterns.

Wow. The 18 is getting another service expansion? Mr Carter is definitely showing he's not afraid to test out reversing BoozAllen era late 1990s cuts if it can be shown that the demand is there as opposed to Claypool just unilaterally saying no without even considering a test at least when the almost 20 years since then is a long enough period for demographics to have changed enough to change rider patterns to effect demand. And that's balanced by scaling back service where it's shown the ridership is not there. This is a good pattern CTA is currently acclimating to. Good job. In that same train of thought, I'm not surprised about the 39 now losing Saturday service when it's been reported that Saturday ridership is crazily low just like Sunday service was. 

That is great. I wonder if Carter will start looking at restoring and/or re-extend some owl service routes like the 4 Cottage Grove from 63rd to 95th, 87 87th from the Dan Ryan to 91st and d Commercial and other routes throughout the city that was cut back in '97. Also those cuts from 2010 should be re-examine as well like the X3, X4, X20, 53AL or X53AL, X54, X55 and X80. I'm sure the X9/X49 will get additional services later.

Edited by renardo870
adding

6 minutes ago, renardo870 said:

That is great. I wonder if Carter will start looking at restoring and/or re-extend some owl service routes like the 4 Cottage Grove from 63rd to 95th, 87 87th from the Dan Ryan to 91st and d Commercial and other routes throughout the city that was cut back in '97. Also those cuts from 2010 should be re-examine as well.

It gets down to the question, as indicated in the quoted alerts, whether there are "demand and ridership patterns."

While Carter isn't pleading poverty as did about every predecessor since the 1960s, there still has to be justification. There were plenty of people at community meetings calling for 11 and 31, which, BTW, have not been reinstated as of yet, and again note that he said there was funding for those two.