Jump to content
Lost on Belmont

F40 repainting?

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

F40PHM-2 number 194 has been rebuilt and repainted with the lightning bolt scheme. Metra has a Facebook post about it.

I suppose it's now designated as an F40PHM-3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Saturday I saw 173 in the new livery. Does anyone know if it has been rebuilt to F40PH-3, if so it is the first of the 1983 batch (150-173) to be rebuilt.

It does seem to have been missing since May last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey did you guys know. I saw a gallery car that was repainted to match the new engine livery. Dont know if it's still there but it was in the western yard on the grand side right there by california outside the shop. Could they be repainting gallery cars? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Hey did you guys know. I saw a gallery car that was repainted to match the new engine livery. Dont know if it's still there but it was in the western yard on the grand side right there by california outside the shop. Could they be repainting gallery cars? 

If they're going to repaint them, I'd rather they went back to the C&NW's yellow & green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Hey did you guys know. I saw a gallery car that was repainted to match the new engine livery. Dont know if it's still there but it was in the western yard on the grand side right there by california outside the shop. Could they be repainting gallery cars? 

The new Metra livery? Or the California Cars' Surfliner livery?

5 hours ago, strictures said:

If they're going to repaint them, I'd rather they went back to the C&NW's yellow & green.

Maybe its a generational thing, but I'd be just fine never seeing that green and yellow come down the tracks ever xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Word is the F40C 611 is in the shops for evaluation (i.e. deciding whether or not it's worth rebuilding). I'll check and see it it's in it's normal spot by Grand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WCR said:

Rumors are true, bad picture but it serves its purpose.

20190425_154109.jpg

Funny that you mentioned this.. yesterday I passed by the yard and notice a engine running... then I thought to myself is that the F40c running? I was on the left but knew where the F40c's are parked... I hope go ahead and get them rebuilt... it would be nice from a heritage perspective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 7:02 AM, NewFlyerMCI said:

The new Metra livery? Or the California Cars' Surfliner livery?

Maybe its a generational thing, but I'd be just fine never seeing that green and yellow come down the tracks ever xD

The new metra livery it's still there it's just a matter of me snapping a pic of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The new metra livery it's still there it's just a matter of me snapping a pic of it

5cc252eddf1c2_DSCF47731.thumb.jpg.db7c484e6dd2ebc5b707ef690b7f5388.jpg

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah that's it

I did see metra 7882 at KYD yard... I’m assuming it maybe repainted as well. It’s would be interesting if it were in for a rehab. Who knows...

 

 

5D19C6E8-485B-4B3B-AC57-72F0930EF158.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah that's it

Yeah, never mind what I said, I'll take the forest green and mustard yellow over this any day. The Metra scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think about whether or not they should. That just looks so, so bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yeah, never mind what I said, I'll take the forest green and mustard yellow over this any day. The Metra scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think about whether or not they should. That just looks so, so bad.

I couldnt help but laugh about your comments yeah it does look tacky. Maybe they are just experimenting with what looks good. They need to paint the bottom blue it would help it to look better. It needs to look more like the locos. They look better. Too much orange here not enough blue  maybe make the black more on the roofline. Then it might look good 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I couldnt help but laugh about your comments yeah it does look tacky. Maybe they are just experimenting with what looks good. They need to paint the bottom blue it would help it to look better. It needs to look more like the locos. They look better. Too much orange here not enough blue  maybe make the black more on the roofline. Then it might look good 

So far the only cars that have been repainted in this livery are from a batch built in 1956 by Pullman-Standard (7651-7681) and a number of them have been repainted although only 7664 has been used in service, I think (SWS). These were among the first withdrawn by Metra with 15 going to VRE. 7675 at Western Avenue has been there for months with the repaint not finished - masking tape on the windows etc. Perhaps they are having a rethink!

7882 was a MARC one that has been in service with Metra since 2016. Probably at KYD for repair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

...a number of them have been repainted although only 7664 has been used in service, I think (SWS).

7664 was on the SWS when I took the above photo of it, but I haven’t seen it on that line for several months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×