CTA Heritage Fleet

Kevin

8 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I don't get it, the #6043 case was settled years ago. The bus that ran over the bicyclist rider around Addison/Neenah. It was on the news a long time ago yet it's still a legal hold? I think some of these buses once they get to South shops boneyard they just stay there because they are difficult to move with flat spotted tires and parts that have long since been unused. It's a bus and that's heavy and it probably costs extra to transport by flatbed. Of course they could pass that on to a bidder of scrap, but probably the transport outweighs the profit.

I agree with most of what you said, but is is usually the scrapper's responsibility to provide a flatbed truck. All bids are FOB 78th and Vincennes, some loading dock.

Also, as you may infer, I don't put much into Andre's legal inferences.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

I agree with most of what you said, but is is usually the scrapper's responsibility to provide a flatbed truck. All bids are FOB 78th and Vincennes, some loading dock.

Also, as you may infer, I don't put much into Andre's legal inferences.

I remember when someone said on here they were towing #7500's to scrap. An artic would probably need a special flatbed and possible wide load designation possibly even needing a permit from the city. So towing was probably the best option.

Don't know how they get a bus either onto a flatbed if it has flat tires or no tires. They actually have high powered winches that can pull a bus up a ramp? We're talking an extremely heavy vehicle here. If they have buses with no engines they probably have buses with no tires as this is basically a pick a part lot for south shops. So it's not as easy as it sounds.

23 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I remember when someone said on here they were towing #7500's to scrap. An artic would probably need a special flatbed and possible wide load designation possibly even needing a permit from the city. So towing was probably the best option.

Don't know how they get a bus either onto a flatbed if it has flat tires or no tires. They actually have high powered winches that can pull a bus up a ramp? We're talking an extremely heavy vehicle here. If they have buses with no engines they probably have buses with no tires as this is basically a pick a part lot for south shops. So it's not as easy as it sounds.

There are videos of transit bus sized school buses being pulled on to a flatbed trailer for transport, so the answer to your winch question would appear to be yes.

18 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I don't get it, the #6043 case was settled years ago. The bus that ran over the bicyclist rider around Addison/Neenah. It was on the news a long time ago yet it's still a legal hold? I think some of these buses once they get to South shops boneyard they just stay there because they are difficult to move with flat spotted tires and parts that have long since been unused. It's a bus and that's heavy and it probably costs extra to transport by flatbed. Of course they could pass that on to a bidder of scrap, but probably the transport outweighs the profit.

Several actually have "do not touch - legal hold" written on them. However, all of the various "legal hold" buses were AFR'd sometime last year. Now it is just a case of getting rid of them.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
15 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Trust me, I hope they add it to the heritage fleet because it would be a good P/R for CTA. Last high floor series to ever be purchased and also from that particular manufacturer.

Also it is still in good shape while it’s predecessor ex #5678 died somewhere before 2020.

On 11/1/2023 at 8:28 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

@YoungBusLoverI dare you no I double dare nahhh I triple dare you the next shift you have go fire up 6163 & take her out for your run or talk somebody into letting you take her put your route on the sign & run number in the box 

Man if I could I could  I would pull that bus out on Halsted ????

On 11/1/2023 at 9:12 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

See me I would ask around like come on le me take this out on my run I'll definitely try to talk somebody into letting me 

I've definitely asked around about it over the past few months and I've gotten nothing but it's a fluid situation on whether or not they want to add it or not to the heritage fleet. I'm thinking to myself if you can fix up #301 & #8499 after all these years #6163 should be a cake walk but it isn't that simple as it looks.