What to Do With Surplus Artics

Anthony Devera

1 hour ago, XE NewFlyer said:

4000 was on the 52 yesterday and is on the 52 again today. Same bus same route. Let's see what tomorrow has to offer.

This was noted yesterday and apparently is the result of a malfunction on the bus tracker, with bus #1594 showing as #4000. If #4000 shows up on an artic route tomorrow, that'll certainly be interesting

1 hour ago, andrethebusman said:

Just to tell you guys how other cities use artics, in Las Vegas they are used at random, as most runs do trips on multiple routes, so you are liable to see artics anywhere except on the Strip, which is all double deck and wright streetcars. 

I would actually like to see a comparison of artic usage across major cities. I know from experience that Chicago & Philadelphia keep artics on the same routes with only minor changes vs somewhere like Seattle where an artic can pop-up on anything that isnt on an island or a neighborhood connector-type of route vs New York, who just has so many its surprising not to see the occasional SBS bus show up on a non SBS route and so on and so forth.

Also, aren't the wright streetcars still artics?

I think more people are exiting CTA buses via the front door vs the rear door [whether the bus is a 40footer or an artic].

I also think CTA's rear door arrangement on it's artics slows riders exiting the bus.

CTA articulated buses have 2 doorways vs the  3 that some others have [SFMTA for example].

Are any transit agencies operating 3 door artics with the second and 3rd doors being driver operated?

If so do those buses maintain schedules well?

22 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

I think more people are exiting CTA buses via the front door vs the rear door [whether the bus is a 40footer or an artic].

I also think CTA's rear door arrangement on it's artics slows riders exiting the bus.

CTA articulated buses have 2 doorways vs the  3 that some others have [SFMTA for example].

Are any transit agencies operating 3 door artics with the second and 3 doors being driver operated?

I definitely agree with your second point, I've always hated those partitions that make you squeeze through. I believe King County Metro (and by extension, some of Sound Transit & possibly Community Transit as well), CT Transit (at least the CTfastrak buses)& NYC MTA have 3-door driver operated doors. I couldn't tell you about the schedules of the first two systems, but my experience with MTA is that any route with an artic comes so frequently, nothing is ever really late, early or on-time, it just comes

On 3/17/2019 at 11:47 PM, geneking7320 said:

Are any transit agencies operating 3 door artics with the second and 3rd doors being driver operated?

Vegas has 100% driver operated doors. Cameras let driver see what is going on at rear door (s). Schedule keeping is not a problem as schedules are VERY slow to begin with, with buses frequently sitting 2-3 minutes at time points.

Wright Street Cars are indeed artics. They have no farebox and no way to install one, so they are only used on the Strip Express which is pre-pay only. Used to be also used on Boulder Hwy and N Las Vegas Blvd when they were pre-pay routes, but no longer. 60 of them are way more than Strip Express needs, but there is nowhere else to use them.

5 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Vegas has 100% driver operated doors. Cameras let driver see what is going on at rear door (s). Schedule keeping is not a problem as schedules are VERY slow to begin with, with buses frequently sitting 2-3 minutes at time points.

Oh god, this reminds me of the three months I spent in Memphis on an internship. 20 mins during peak was considered frequent service. There were routes with 45, 60, 90 & 120 min headways during peak and off-peak during the day, it was horrendous. And of course the north-south crosstown routes were some of the worst offenders. 

6 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

4308 on the 106 and 4091, 4105 & 4116 on the 28. Never seen so many artics at once on that route. 4000 also hasn't shown back up on the tracker & neither has 1594. Maybe in for maintenance to fix whatever issue was going on between them?

4308 and 4091 are probably on 106 for school trip because it serves Olive Harvey

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

It also serves Harlen High School and Corliss High School.

Strange that they don't denote that on the schedule like they usually would for other routes that pass by high schools.

3 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

4308 and 4091 are probably on 106 for school trip because it serves Olive Harvey

Olive Harvey by itself warrants artics? Also, did 4091 come from the 28 onto the 106 or the other way around?

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Strange that they don't denote that on the schedule like they usually would for other routes that pass by high schools.

Olive Harvey by itself warrants artics? Also, did 4091 come from the 28 onto the 106 or the other way around?

With a route as short as 106 the artic just does a schdueled run so its not noted as a special school run like 34 or 95

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I meant it as the schools showing up as a landmark on the timetable, but this helps as well, thank you

Oh no school trips are usually marked as "leaves such and such at this time". I think 35 is also the same way. CMA has a bus wait outside that goes to the orange line then goes downtown to do a 143 but isn't on the map

2 minutes ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

What’s up with 4000 on 52 and 4118 on 50

4000 is the one that might have the malfunctioning tracker, as @mel bernero said it was actually 1594. I'm not sure myself, since for the past week, 4000 hasn't been in service except on the 52 and 1594 hasn't been in service at all. As for the 50, if you're looking at the tracker and the 19 is in service, that means an artic or two will be on the 50, since it runs next to the United Center

46 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

4000 is the one that might have the malfunctioning tracker, as @mel bernero said it was actually 1594. I'm not sure myself, since for the past week, 4000 hasn't been in service except on the 52 and 1594 hasn't been in service at all. As for the 50, if you're looking at the tracker and the 19 is in service, that means an artic or two will be on the 50, since it runs next to the United Center

I’m also checking transit stop (app) and 4000 shows up