Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

6 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

You beat me to it I was just about to mention that. I saw a few others in the shops as well getting some kind of maintenance done on them over the past few weeks but it isn't a mass majority though.

That makes me wonder are they really done with if they are working on them

2 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Like a regular school year because high school students I heard were going back to schools today

I'd imagine a good portion from all seven garages. I know the 6 and 28 serves Kenwood and Hyde Park HS,The 79 and 53A serves bogan, The 3 serves dubar and jones college prep, The 9 has one run out of Kedzie that serves Jaurez over on Cermak, then the 152 with lane tech those are what I can remember from my time in HS though.

Just now, YoungBusLover said:

I'd imagine a good portion from all seven garages. I know the 6 and 28 serves Kenwood and Hyde Park HS, The 3 serves dubar and jones college prep, Ashland has one run out of Kedzie that serves Jaurez over on Cermak, then the 152 with lane tech those are what I can remember from my time in HS though.

Oh okay gotcha. 

23 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

I'd imagine a good portion from all seven garages. I know the 6 and 28 serves Kenwood and Hyde Park HS,The 79 and 53A serves bogan, The 3 serves dubar and jones college prep, The 9 has one run out of Kedzie that serves Jaurez over on Cermak, then the 152 with lane tech those are what I can remember from my time in HS though.

add shurz to the #56 right by milwaukee/addison served by #4300’s from North Park

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Like a regular school year because high school students I heard were going back to schools today

21 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

62 has some, 24 for simeon, I think the 52 has some runs (or the old 52 at least)? 54B still also goes to that catholic school in bedford park, although I don't think the 79 does anymore. But yeah, there has to be at least 30 routes in the system with school runs.

I always wondered why CTA doesn't do it like SEPTA & WMATA do. They have school runs on some regular routes (WMATA only I think), but they also have dedicated routes to/from the school with their own route designations (WMATA does first letter of the school and 1 or 2 numbers, SEPTA assigns all school routes under their 400 series).

I know for WMATA, some routes serves as a train feeder (for the application schools, since students can come from all over the city). I know the primary reason for this is not to overwhelm a local route. For instance, my HS was 10 mins walk from two train station and there was also a local bus route that went by the school and one of the train stations, but it ran sort of infrequent, whereas our school route was 4 runs total, every 10 minutes. Although later they ended up folding these runs into that local bus, so there's that lmao.

The other ones, the ones that serve the boundary schools, they take routes that go all through the neighborhood and/or to parts of the boundary not easily accessible via normal transit. Had I not left Chicago, my neighborhood HS would've been Hirsch (although my mother would've had me going to Kenwood or SSICP lol). Chicago's HS boundaries are smaller than DC's, so for an better example, lets use Bowen. Using DC's structure, this would've gone something like, Commercial, 92nd, Exchange, 93rd, Jeffery, Van V, 100th, Torrence, end somewhere, just spitballing to give a mental image

Personally, I've always thought this makes the most sense, usually cause these school routes are interlined with something else, and end near or at where another route starts, it usually places kids much closer to home than if they were on a regular bus, prevents sudden crush loads on regular routes and also keeps all the rowdy school kids on a single bus where they can only bother each other.

37 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

62 has some, 24 for simeon, I think the 52 has some runs (or the old 52 at least)? 54B still also goes to that catholic school in bedford park, although I don't think the 79 does anymore. But yeah, there has to be at least 30 routes in the system with school runs.

I always wondered why CTA doesn't do it like SEPTA & WMATA do. They have school runs on some regular routes (WMATA only I think), but they also have dedicated routes to/from the school with their own route designations (WMATA does first letter of the school and 1 or 2 numbers, SEPTA assigns all school routes under their 400 series).

I know for WMATA, some routes serves as a train feeder (for the application schools, since students can come from all over the city). I know the primary reason for this is not to overwhelm a local route. For instance, my HS was 10 mins walk from two train station and there was also a local bus route that went by the school and one of the train stations, but it ran sort of infrequent, whereas our school route was 4 runs total, every 10 minutes. Although later they ended up folding these runs into that local bus, so there's that lmao.

The other ones, the ones that serve the boundary schools, they take routes that go all through the neighborhood and/or to parts of the boundary not easily accessible via normal transit. Had I not left Chicago, my neighborhood HS would've been Hirsch (although my mother would've had me going to Kenwood or SSICP lol). Chicago's HS boundaries are smaller than DC's, so for an better example, lets use Bowen. Using DC's structure, this would've gone something like, Commercial, 92nd, Exchange, 93rd, Jeffery, Van V, 100th, Torrence, end somewhere, just spitballing to give a mental image

Personally, I've always thought this makes the most sense, usually cause these school routes are interlined with something else, and end near or at where another route starts, it usually places kids much closer to home than if they were on a regular bus, prevents sudden crush loads on regular routes and also keeps all the rowdy school kids on a single bus where they can only bother each other.

Probably a consolidation issue. If there’s gonna be an inter line let it be a core corridor interline vs what used to happen where there were so many separate routes that time keeping and fleet spread became an issue. Probably the reason why J14 and 26 don’t switch ends even though it would make sense. You’d have to reintroduce the 127 for the reverse peak traffic to muesem campus