Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

29 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

From time to time I will see a CTA bus parked on the 6700 block of Stony Island on the east side of the street.

The sign may something about being a cooling bus(?). It hasn't hot enough to necessitate that for some time.

Anyone have ideas what this is about?

Since COVID shut restaurants and limited places for drivers to sit, CTA now deploy busses that are at key relief points to serve as waiting areas for the drivers. 

29 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

From time to time I will see a CTA bus parked on the 6700 block of Stony Island on the east side of the street.

The sign may something about being a cooling bus(?). It hasn't hot enough to necessitate that for some time.

Well, there's the morning AM trips on the 67 that only run btwn 69th/Western & 67th/Stony Island (no clue why), but they way they operate would have them on the west side/southbound side of Stony Island. Maybe a rogue 63?

42 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

I assume its facing NB.  My first guess would be a bus staging to start a run on the 6.  Maybe this run starts from 67th and Stony rather than 79th street and South Shore.  I doubt its a short turn 67 as those buses usually turn on Cornell Drive and either stage on Marquette between Cornell and Sony or SB on Stony Island between Marquette and 67th. A second possibility is a bus staging before starting a 170 171, or 172.

46 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I assume its facing NB.  My first guess would be a bus staging to start a run on the 6.  Maybe this run starts from 67th and Stony rather than 79th street and South Shore.  I doubt its a short turn 67 as those buses usually turn on Cornell Drive and either stage on Marquette between Cornell and Sony or SB on Stony Island between Marquette and 67th. A second possibility is a bus staging before starting a 170 171, or 172.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Well, there's the morning AM trips on the 67 that only run btwn 69th/Western & 67th/Stony Island (no clue why), but they way they operate would have them on the west side/southbound side of Stony Island. Maybe a rogue 63?

It’s a relief bus. The same goes on at 79th and cottage along with a few other relief points where drivers and sit inside places easily due to covid 

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Those 67 trips are to target the crowds going to the red line. East of stony anyone going downtown can take an express so no point in wasting time sending buses that way in the AM 

8 hours ago, Sam92 said:

It’s a relief bus. The same goes on at 79th and cottage along with a few other relief points where drivers and sit inside places easily due to covid 

It would seem like CTA could save money and time if they sent cars (like Pace) instead of buses.  Unless you are relieving 4 or more drivers at the same time, a car is more economic.    The only route there for driver reliefs is the 6.  The 28 switches drivers at 103rd and the 67 comes from 74th.  I suppose it's possible for that relief bus to serve reliefs for the 71 while en route to and/or from 67th.  That's assuming that the bus is returning to the garage.  If the bus is serving as reliefs for lunch reliefs, that's a different story.  I guess that depends on how long the bus sits there.

50 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

It would seem like CTA could save money and time if they sent cars (like Pace) instead of buses.  Unless you are relieving 4 or more drivers at the same time, a car is more economic.    The only route there for driver reliefs is the 6.  The 28 switches drivers at 103rd and the 67 comes from 74th.  I suppose it's possible for that relief bus to serve reliefs for the 71 while en route to and/or from 67th.  That's assuming that the bus is returning to the garage.  If the bus is serving as reliefs for lunch reliefs, that's a different story.  I guess that depends on how long the bus sits there.

The buses are acting as buildings to take a “fallback” in I should’ve clarified better lol. The bus is being used the same way those 2200s were used at 61st. As a place to sit since the drivers can’t sit in the nearby McDonald’s or subway while on lunch or waiting for the bus they are relieving as they would normally. Also I think what you are suggesting might be happening cause it’s different buses throughout the day. 

54 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Trust me at certain times of the day you can have up to 6 operators at a time on the warming bus waiting to make reliefs at 79th and Cottage so a car wouldn't workout necessarily. Normally the buses sit there from 1PM -8 PM.

14 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Trust me at certain times of the day you can have up to 6 operators at a time on the warming bus waiting to make reliefs at 79th and Cottage so a car wouldn't workout necessarily. Normally the buses sit there from 1PM -8 PM.

Not to mention “thou shall not sit chilling in a car in the hood” south side 79:00

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Not to mention “thou shall not sit chilling in a car in the hood” south side 79:00

I got the car idea from observing a car and a work van at the Ogden entrance at the IMD  stationhouse.  I didn't realize CTA had cars like Pace uses for their driver reliefs.  I don't know why the car was there or who drove it since I didn't see any maintenance workers or supervisor.   But the staging for lunch reliefs and fallback makes perfect sense, although I wonder how many stage buses are needed.   Is there a stage bus for the 3 and the 8 and the 52A and the 53A as well?  We know 103rd has some routes terminating at the garage and other routes at 95th Red Line, so it doesn't need to send out a bunch of stage buses.  But what about the other garages?

Just now, artthouwill said:

I got the car idea from observing a car and a work van at the Ogden entrance at the IMD  stationhouse.  I didn't realize CTA had cars like Pace uses for their driver reliefs.  I don't know why the car was there or who drove it since I didn't see any maintenance workers or supervisor.   But the staging for lunch reliefs and fallback makes perfect sense, although I wonder how many stage buses are needed.   Is there a stage bus for the 3 and the 8 and the 52A and the 53A as well?  We know 103rd has some routes terminating at the garage and other routes at 95th Red Line, so it doesn't need to send out a bunch of stage buses.  But what about the other garages?

Depends on if the turnaround or relief point has a driver accessible facility nearby. 95th I’m sure would have a place. 3 and 4 do on 79th cause no place nearby has a place for drivers to sit. The car idea makes sense but the point of these buses are to act as buildings/shelters for operators that would normally sit in the nearby McDonald’s to do lunch or wait for the bus they are relieving. That’s why the ones sitting on 79th tend to be artics from what i see since a LOT of reliefs happen at at time due to the frequency of those routes 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

There was a bus at 79th & Pulaski for the 53A over the summer, but those buses came from 103rd sometimes, not always 77th. I never saw a bus waiting at 79th & Kedzie. I also never saw buses waiting waiting at Garfield & Ashland or 59th & Ashland, depsite having seen reliefs switch there.