Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

13 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Love those north side videos and got a few questions

1. Why do some novas have their engine doors open are they being inspected? (6870, 6861, 6862 side door, 6770)

2. I saw something on 6706's seat did you see what that was?

3. Since 6875 is sitting in the area where active buses are, is that one ready to return to service?

4. Wow I didn't know 1008 was out for that long (it was last out in January before those big snowstorms)

I just went back & looked at the video that looks like a on board tool back under 6706 sear

Just now, Shannoncvpi said:

I just went back & looked at the video that looks like a on board tool back under 6706 sear

Oh so they probably was trying to repair it after it broke down again in November and then just took a break and left 6706 alone I’m thinking it’s done with but we’re not sure as y’all said time will tell

9 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Well sad to say but the novas are done with & retired let CTA tell it 

Screenshot_20210407-232525.png

I don't pay attention to that too much, especially the fact they said that 6400-6549 retired in 2021. But actually they retired in 2019 shortly after 8325-8349 went into service.

Just now, ajay said:

I don't pay attention to that too much, especially the fact they said that 6400-6549 retired in 2021. But actually they retired in 2019 shortly after 8325-8349 went into service.

Apparently I had to tell them that they were retired already but they think they were retired in 2021. I need to be active on CPTDB more since I was the one requesting the info changes and I’m missing out on certain details  that I keep missing.

3 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

They're not from what I saw yesterday, its been in the shops for about a week now.

Oh okay

3 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Apparently I had to tell them that they were retired already but they think they were retired in 2021. I need to be active on CPTDB more since I was the one requesting the info changes and I’m missing out on certain details  that I keep missing.

Oh okay

Ok cool

Thinking about it, CTA generally names its routes for the streets they serve, not the areas they run through (except for express routes, which either go by name or a combination of name & street). I find it funny that the 97, a local route, is the 97 Skokie, despite being on Oakton for the majority of the route and barely spending any time on Skokie Blvd. Other routes that break this naming convention

• 1: This is a recent change, as previous iterations of the route went by street names
  • 54A: Hybrid name btwn street & area served
  • 71: This one is happenstance, as South Shore Dr appropriately runs through South Shore
  • 111A: Special case
  • 115: See 54A
  • 124: Is named for the destination it serves instead of area
  • 130: see 124
  • 157: Is now a hybrid name, but before was one of the few local route other than the 97 that went by neighborhood name
  • 171/172: see 54A
  • 206: see 111A

44 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Thinking about it, CTA generally names its routes for the streets they serve, not the areas they run through (except for express routes, which either go by name or a combination of name & street). I find it funny that the 97, a local route, is the 97 Skokie, despite being on Oakton for the majority of the route and barely spending any time on Skokie Blvd. Other routes that break this naming convention

• 1: This is a recent change, as previous iterations of the route went by street names
  • 71: This one is happenstance, as South Shore Dr appropriately runs through South Shore
  • 157: Is now a hybrid name, but before was one of the few local route other than the 97 that went by neighborhood name

In regards to the 97, I think it may be named in tandem with the community of Skokie as well as the L route it supplements.   The L line was once called "Skokie Swift."  The bus was the local route any the train was the express service. 

Other routes

6 Jackson Park Express  named for the park the route goes around.

100 Jeffery Manor Express  named for the Jeffery Manor neighborhood.

120 and 121 named for the train stations and the extension to the Streeterville neighborhood. 

125 Water Tower Express 

146 and 147 are nicknames for Lake Shore Drive.

42 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

In regards to the 97, I think it may be named in tandem with the community of Skokie as well as the L route it supplements.   The L line was once called "Skokie Swift."  The bus was the local route any the train was the express service. 

Other routes

6 Jackson Park Express  named for the park the route goes around.

100 Jeffery Manor Express  named for the Jeffery Manor neighborhood.

120 and 121 named for the train stations and the extension to the Streeterville neighborhood. 

125 Water Tower Express 

146 and 147 are nicknames for Lake Shore Drive.

I did say except for the express routes, which are typically named opposite of the local routes ?

7 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I did say except for the express routes, which are typically named opposite of the local routes ?

Even most express routes are named for streets like the 2, J14,  26,135, 136, 134, 143, and the 148.  I really don't consider the 100 as an "express " route even with "express " in the name of the route.

3 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Even most express routes are named for streets like the 2, J14,  26,135, 136, 134, 143, and the 148.  I really don't consider the 100 as an "express " route even with "express " in the name of the route.

Fair point. I'd argue the 2 & 26 are in a situation like the 71. Although I also now wonder why these routes aren't depicted in red on the map.

8 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Fair point. I'd argue the 2 & 26 are in a situation like the 71. Although I also now wonder why these routes aren't depicted in red on the map.

The 2 and 26 are both named for streets they run like the 30 and 71.  To your point,  those streets also happen to be the names of the neighborhoods they serve. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

54A isn’t a hybrid. Cicero changes names at the city limits like other Chicago streets in ciceros case Skokie Blvd.

45 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

34 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The 2 and 26 are both named for streets they run like the 30 and 71.  To your point,  those streets also happen to be the names of the neighborhoods they serve. 

It’s odd seeing as express routes are named after origin points 6 should be south shore express and 26 should be south deering express 

1 minute ago, Sam92 said:

It’s odd seeing as express routes are named after origin points 6 should be south shore express and 26 should be south deering express 

BUT then 6 short turns would bring up the 145 issue of “6 short turns are named for a street they don’t reach” but I guess an EXPRESS head sign fixes that