Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

On 3/27/2021 at 12:00 PM, BrownLineTrainToTheLoop said:

Here's a hard question for all of you; would a train from Harlem/Lake to Midway or vice versa be considered as a Green Line train via the Orange line or and Orange line train via the green line?

Well, this is certainly random, but in the odd scenario where this is somehow happening, it would be line from which the station departs (so in this case, a Green Line train to Midway). Or it would simply change lines upon leaving the Loop (or Roosevelt in this case)

21 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Well, this is certainly random, but in the odd scenario where this is somehow happening, it would be line from which the station departs (so in this case, a Green Line train to Midway). Or it would simply change lines upon leaving the Loop (or Roosevelt in this case)

If that wound up being a run, it would probably be announced as a Green Line train to downtown and Midway.   The signage would be Green Line Loop until after Clinton where the signage would flip to Orange Midway. That's similar to what the Brown and Orange Lines do when they run a combined route.  Orange signage flip to Brown after Roosevelt and Brown signs flip to Midway after Mdse  Mart  

The reverse would be Orange Line trains to downtown and Harlem and Lake.  The signage flip from Orange to Green would take place after Halsted, since both Lines share Roosevelt  it would make for a weird announcement.  You are on an Orange Line train leaves Halsted and you hear, "Roosevelt is next, doors open in the left at Roosevelt.  Transfer to Red and Orange Line trains at Roosevelt "   once reaching Roosevelt,  'This is Roosevelt    transfer to Red and Orange Line trains at Roosevelt   This is a Green Line train to Harlem and Lake  "  what?

6 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

If that wound up being a run, it would probably be announced as a Green Line train to downtown and Midway.   The signage would be Green Line Loop until after Clinton where the signage would flip to Orange Midway. That's similar to what the Brown and Orange Lines do when they run a combined route.  Orange signage flip to Brown after Roosevelt and Brown signs flip to Midway after Mdse  Mart  

The reverse would be Orange Line trains to downtown and Harlem and Lake.  The signage flip from Orange to Green would take place after Halsted, since both Lines share Roosevelt  it would make for a weird announcement.  You are on an Orange Line train leaves Halsted and you hear, "Roosevelt is next, doors open in the left at Roosevelt.  Transfer to Red and Orange Line trains at Roosevelt "   once reaching Roosevelt,  'This is Roosevelt    transfer to Red and Orange Line trains at Roosevelt   This is a Green Line train to Harlem and Lake  "  what?

On the train tracker, those Brownage trains are identified as such as well, it'll say "Train ### to Loop, Midway" with a brown background

22 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

On the train tracker, those Brownage trains are identified as such as well, it'll say "Train ### to Loop, Midway" with a brown background

From what I saw at Roosevelt,  the tracker had an Orange Line display with Kimball as the destination   I don't remember the run numbers,  but I  would imagine they would be 4xx if the run originated from Kimball and 7xx if originating from Midway.  I don't know if they have specific run numbers for the combined route. 

34 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

From what I saw at Roosevelt,  the tracker had an Orange Line display with Kimball as the destination   I don't remember the run numbers,  but I  would imagine they would be 4xx if the run originated from Kimball and 7xx if originating from Midway.  I don't know if they have specific run numbers for the combined route. 

When it comes to situations where another line/yard helps supply cars the runs take on the supplemental yards numbers so in this case; All 700’s since the extra capacity is coming from 6 or 7 early AM rush trains from Midway all getting to Kimball in time for the peak of peak and to supply 3-5 min headways on the brown. Same with runs 318, 319, 321 coming from 54th to do those 3 extra trips between Jeff park-UIC runs, or Ravestons having 400’s when purple needed help in the 80’s/90’s, the 500s when the reverse happened and brown needed extra help from purple. The way someone else explained after rush, if they aren’t a tripper run the operator switches back to his home line 

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Anyone know why the 82 doesn't end at 31st/Komensky full time? And not just after 9p?

My guess is that during the day, the 31st/Komensky terminal is filled with 53s and 53As, and there isn't enough space for the 82. But during evenings, when frequency on the 53 and 53A (and 82) are lower, there is space for the 82.

Speaking of the 82, I wonder why it runs via Lawndale instead of Central Park south of 25th. I feel like the 82 could be straightened a bit.

28 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

My guess is that during the day, the 31st/Komensky terminal is filled with 53s and 53As, and there isn't enough space for the 82. But during evenings, when frequency on the 53 and 53A (and 82) are lower, there is space for the 82.

Speaking of the 82, I wonder why it runs via Lawndale instead of Central Park south of 25th. I feel like the 82 could be straightened a bit.

It be hard to get the bus in there when the 53a or 53 there & if you got a artic man its a nightmare cuz the 53 a have 3-4 buses in there at once

3 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

Your guess is correct and to add on to that there's operators out of Chicago that will literally layover in that small terminal with an artic even there suppose to go further down to Kostner I believe. Normaly after about 8:30 PM the 82s normally start poping up there from what I observed on the weekends. 

10 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Your guess is correct and to add on to that there's operators out of Chicago that will literally layover in that small terminal with an artic even there suppose to go further down to Kostner I believe. Normaly after about 8:30 PM the 82s normally start poping up there from what I observed on the weekends. 

Yea the last time I had a artic on the 82 & got there bro it was a 53 artic & 2 40 footers 3 53 buses I was 15 mins late leaving cuz I had to wait on them the artice had left but the 2 40 footers was still there & them hoes made me wanna snatch off their fake lashes & horse hair 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea the last time I had a artic on the 82 & got there bro it was a 53 artic & 2 40 footers 3 53 buses I was 15 mins late leaving cuz I had to wait on them the artice had left but the 2 40 footers was still there & them hies made me wanna snatch off their fake lashes & horse hair 

When I use to do the 53A it was a pain having to get those operators to move. It was even worse when there heavy traffic and making that right turn going east with double parked cars can be a nightmare as far as having enough turn radius by that restaurant at Komensky. 

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

When I use to do the 53A it was a pain having to get those operators to move. It was even worse when there heavy traffic and making that right turn going east with double parked cars can be a nightmare as far as having enough turn radius by that restaurant at Komensky. 

Yea its a straight pain with a 40 even worst with a 60 footer

14 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

It's a relic of the streetcar days, in which cars ran Cermak-Kedzie-25th-Lawndale. Somewhat interesting, as Chicago doesn't have a lot of strange routing decisions from streetcar operations like a lot of other cities do.

There was also a Rockwell-25th-Lawndale line which was discontinued by 1910.

http://irm-cta.org/RouteDescriptions/RouteHistories/PreCTA/SouthernStreetRyHistory.pdf