8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

5 hours ago, Busjack said:

Not necessarily strange. It looks like SS is sitting on maybe 12 600s that should have gone to C by now, plus whatever number of 8350s (30?) reported here. What's the hangup?

If only I knew. We still have about 5 more sitting in one of our eastern bays amongst are current active roster and they haven't been active for quite some time. 

On 5/12/2022 at 8:24 PM, YoungBusLover said:

I highly doubt that. I haven't seen any indication of that as of yet. What I do find strange though is FG and K have gained #7900s from C.

Yea that is strange ive seen that myself but it always works that way 7 get the brand new buses while dumping their run down buses on other garages 

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

30 total

I think CTA should start moving these buses to wherever they are going to be assigned,  be it FG, 103rd, or even 77th.  I get @YoungBusLoveridea that they'll start rolling with the Summer pick schedule, but that's another month away and it's possible that another 20 plus buses get delivered by then.   Pjys room has to be made for the arrival of the 6400s from other garages.  

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I think CTA should start moving these buses to wherever they are going to be assigned,  be it FG, 103rd, or even 77th.  I get @YoungBusLoveridea that they'll start rolling with the Summer pick schedule, but that's another month away and it's possible that another 20 plus buses get delivered by then.   Pjys room has to be made for the arrival of the 6400s from other garages.  

When the summer picks begin, we should already be at around 50 buses already perhaps my guess is that the first 50 go to 103rd to send 50 #1000’s from there to FG.

2 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

When the summer picks begin, we should already be at around 50 buses already perhaps my guess is that the first 50 go to 103rd to send 50 #1000’s from there to FG.

There isn't any point to sending to FG buses just as old as it already has (among the first 200 of the 1000s between FG and 103).

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yet the 600’s are ready to be sent to C but they taking sweet ass time…….mark my word the 8350’s will see service before a driver even boards a #600 to take it to its garage

We will probably see the beginning of the #7011s in service soon also. Don't know whats up with the #600's. I think they are just trying to run the term of the 2nd prototypes test, but the service levels are anemic. The #700's have run longer hours per day than the #600's ever have, but they are not running them either. Pace please take notes. North may end up a nightmare. Maybe the Nova electrics hold some promise!!

51 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

We will probably see the beginning of the #7011s in service soon also. Don't know whats up with the #600's. I think they are just trying to run the term of the 2nd prototypes test, but the service levels are anemic. The #700's have run longer hours per day than the #600's ever have, but they are not running them either. Pace please take notes. North may end up a nightmare. Maybe the Nova electrics hold some promise!!

7011s?  Is that a reference to the new railcars?  Could CTA be trying to launch the in service dates for the new 8350s and the new railcars to be on the same day?

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

The #700's have run longer hours per day than the #600's ever have, but they are not running them either. Pace please take notes.

We don't know why they aren't in service (cf. what Pace says it wants to learn from the Gillig), but you and @BusHunter immediately want to presume disaster. Maybe they can order some NABI electrics. Oh, that isn't possible.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

7011s?  Is that a reference to the new railcars?  Could CTA be trying to launch the in service dates for the new 8350s and the new railcars to be on the same day?

What he meant is that more #7000’s after #7001-7010 will begin to be delivered

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

We don't know why they aren't in service (cf. what Pace says it wants to learn from the Gillig), but you and @BusHunter immediately want to presume disaster. Maybe they can order some NABI electrics. Oh, that isn't possible.

Well I would hope SS is not starting a museum exhibit for electric buses, but we really don't know do we???

What we do know is the buses barely run. About the only less run bus they have ran is the Ballard #5900's but they were experimental too. I guess experimental does mean not obligated to run in service. Let's just say that!! 

11 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yet the 600’s are ready to be sent to C but they taking sweet ass time…….mark my word the 8350’s will see service before a driver even boards a #600 to take it to its garage

If the #8350’s touch the finish line before the #600’s this is going to be a real shocker. I guess diesel buses don’t have too much difficulty with weather and temperature compared to the electrics if that’s the case.

28 minutes ago, Bus1883 said:

If the #8350’s touch the finish line before the #600’s this is going to be a real shocker. I guess diesel buses don’t have too much difficulty with weather and temperature compared to the electrics if that’s the case.

...or maybe that getting 8351 out there is not more complicated than 8349.

If you are good at guessing, maybe you know if SS crews know how to use a screwdriver to attach a license plate? Other posters have said that plates are a hold-up.

25 minutes ago, Busjack said:

...or maybe that getting 8351 out there is not more complicated than 8349.

If you are good at guessing, maybe you know if SS crews know how to use a screwdriver to attach a license plate? Other posters have said that plates are a hold-up.

yea that’s basically the only reason they aren’t out yet is bcuz of the plates @YoungBusLoverdid say they’ll probably be out when summer pick hits (a perfect time to bring em out)

#8392 along with #8381 are at SS. Just to clear the air a bit here about the #600s. They have a series of underlying issues since being delivered but added with that is the manpower to be trained on them to actually run more than what has been witnessed in the past several months. The notion that if the #8350s run before the #600s due to the overall movement for electric buses is a failure since they can't run consistently is a bit of an over exaggerated statement. Every agency across the country that has taken a part in the electric movement has had some form of issues with getting buses prepped and maintaining them for consistent service. Regardless of the manufacturer this is relatively new for a majority of the world in relation to transit buses. From what I've witnessed being on them and at SS is that the #600s were constructed exceptionally well. They run pretty good when they're active the downside to them is simply the evolution of technology and overall manpower. I'm not sure if some of you have seen video's of electric buses in Europe catching on fire with some small explosions but it will take a few hiccups to get things running smoothly. Remember everyone, CTA is just now entering a new territory that they've never been in before and it will take some time for things to start running smoothly. As far as the #8350s are concerned the west side of SS is at capacity now and time is ticking for CTA to get at least 10 of the first 32 or so active for service once the summer pick starts next month. 

20220519_155002.jpg

20220519_154941.jpg

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

#8392 along with #8381 are at SS. Just to clear the air a bit here about the #600s. They have a series of underlying issues since being delivered but added with that is the manpower to be trained on them to actually run more than what has been witnessed in the past several months. The notion that if the #8350s run before the #600s due to the overall movement for electric buses is a failure since they can't run consistently is a bit of an over exaggerated statement. Every agency across the country that has taken a part in the electric movement has had some form of issues with getting buses prepped and maintaining them for consistent service. Regardless of the manufacturer this is relatively new for a majority of the world in relation to transit buses. From what I've witnessed being on them and at SS is that the #600s were constructed exceptionally well. They run pretty good when they're active the downside to them is simply the evolution of technology and overall manpower. I'm not sure if some of you have seen video's of electric buses in Europe catching on fire with some small explosions but it will take a few hiccups to get things running smoothly. Remember everyone, CTA is just now entering a new territory that they've never been in before and it will take some time for things to start running smoothly. As far as the #8350s are concerned the west side of SS is at capacity now and time is ticking for CTA to get at least 10 of the first 32 or so active for service once the summer pick starts next month. 

20220519_155002.jpg

20220519_154941.jpg

So the question is what are the underlying issues?  It has to be mechanical to be at SS.  If it were just driver training issues, those buses could sit at C or 74th   Prudential and Aon Center run 8 Proterras every weekday doing shuttles downtown and they aren't transportation companies. Neither is the operator Standard Parking. No driver can be trained on a parked bus.   I'm all for resolve the issues. I just think CTA and Oace should slow down trying to be electrified by 2040 

15 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

So the question is what are the underlying issues?  It has to be mechanical to be at SS.  If it were just driver training issues, those buses could sit at C or 74th   Prudential and Aon Center run 8 Proterras every weekday doing shuttles downtown and they aren't transportation companies. Neither is the operator Standard Parking. No driver can be trained on a parked bus.   I'm all for resolve the issues. I just think CTA and Oace should slow down trying to be electrified by 2040 

At least we know SS will be electrified by 2040!! Haven't they been playing with this idea now for 4 years. I don't see what is so hard about charging a bus and sending it out. The #700's were doing well back in 2014. What happened??? 

Aon is doing well. Haven't heard issues about new Proterras. Maybe older ones but if the cta has issues now what will the 7-9 year period look like? 

I really got to see if Pace can do a successful job with the Proterras at North. If they do that will only deepen the mystery.