#8398 delivered 6/3/22
#8399 delivered 6/3/22
#8401 delivered 6/1/22
#8403 delivered 6/3/22
#8404 delivered 6/…/22

8350 was delivered in 2021 not 2022

26 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

8350 was delivered in 2021 not 2022

Depends which one, As documented in this topic, 8350 was first sighted in Aug. 2021, but as @Lothian pointed out, it is not the same 8350 as is now at SS, which was sighted in March 2022. So, you're right about 8/11/21, but that's probably not correct. May need a separate entry for the pilot.

47 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Supposedly these buses should be running as of the start of summer pick which should be starting soon.  I don't know the exact date except that it's this month.

@BusOpsnoted, FG is undergoing training as these buses are equipped with a new Collision Avoidance System which was iretrofitted.  On 7900.  What isn't known is whether 103rd drivers are training or have been already trained on the system.  Perhaps eventually all drivers will get the training.  Maybe it's possible that all 7900s and 8325s get retrofitted as well.

I believe he said 103rd was done they were the first garage. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

I believe he said 103rd was done they were the first garage. 

If that's the case,  why not send the few 8350s that are ready over there?  I'm sure if those buses that are only lacking Ventra card readers can get the ones from the 6400s that aren't going anywhere.  St least there will be some room made available for more deliveries. 

5 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

If that's the case,  why not send the few 8350s that are ready over there?  I'm sure if those buses that are only lacking Ventra card readers can get the ones from the 6400s that aren't going anywhere.  St least there will be some room made available for more deliveries. 

My best bet is that they need to just send the ones ready to go over to 103rd since they are done. This can easily alleviate overcrowding at SS so they have enough room for incoming deliveries.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Supposedly these buses should be running as of the start of summer pick which should be starting soon.  I don't know the exact date except that it's this month.

@BusOpsnoted, FG is undergoing training as these buses are equipped with a new Collision Avoidance System which was iretrofitted.  On 7900.  What isn't known is whether 103rd drivers are training or have been already trained on the system.  Perhaps eventually all drivers will get the training.  Maybe it's possible that all 7900s and 8325s get retrofitted as well.

In my very honest opinion they should install them throughout the entire bus fleet that’s still running. The only series of buses that won’t see it is the #6400’s since they are overdue for retirement and won’t see the rest of 2022. I don’t think the system is also compatible with the #1000’s, #4000s and the #4300’s but the rest of the Novas along with the #8350’s have a high chance.

7 minutes ago, Bus1883 said:

In my very honest opinion they should install them throughout the entire bus fleet that’s still running. The only series of buses that won’t see it is the #6400’s since they are overdue for retirement and won’t see the rest of 2022. I don’t think the system is also compatible with the #1000’s, #4000s and the #4300’s but the rest of the Novas along with the #8350’s have a high chance.

I'm not sure, but I think that Collison Avoidance System is proprietary to Volvo so only Volvo, Prevost, and Nova buses would have them.  Even if the system isn't proprietary,  I wouldn't install them in any New Flyers given their age.  As for the Proterras  I don't know if the system is compatible with electric buses.

1 hour ago, Bus1883 said:

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I'm not sure, but I think that Collison Avoidance System is proprietary to Volvo so only Volvo, Prevost, and Nova buses would have them.  Even if the system isn't proprietary,  I wouldn't install them in any New Flyers given their age.  As for the Proterras  I don't know if the system is compatible with electric buses.

Like just about every bus part, I don't think collision avoidance systems are proprietary to the bus assemblers, leading suppliers are Mobileye (which I believe Pace uses), and ZF.

Mobileye says they can be retrofitted, and such incidents as the child being crushed by the rear wheel of a CTA bus and the bus that ran into the plaza at 205 N. Michigan indicate that CTA needs it.

26 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

how come we didnt get #8362 #8365 and #8367? since we have the rest of em now we jus have #8402 and #8405-8449 to be delivered 

Even more incredible is we are just about to the base order of 100 and the buses have not yet went into service. That actually makes Proterra look good. Lol!! 

To answer your question its possible the buses are there we just overlooked them. We need our resident 77th spy detective to have a real good look around. 

14 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Even more incredible is we are just about to the base order of 100 and the buses have not yet went into service. That actually makes Proterra look good. Lol!! 

To answer your question its possible the buses are there we just overlooked them. We need our resident 77th spy detective to have a real good look around. 

Correct me if I am wrong but , Proterra aside, I don't recall seeing any other series of buses getting this stacked before being placed in service.

5 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Correct me if I am wrong but , Proterra aside, I don't recall seeing any other series of buses getting this stacked before being placed in service.

There was stuff like holding buses until 74th opened, but nothing this inexplicable.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

4 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

how come we didnt get #8362 #8365 and #8367? since we have the rest of em now we jus have #8402 and #8405-8449 to be delivered 

Trust me I've  looked all over the garage for the rest of them. I'm sure they're some where around SS but if not they'll pop up eventually.

On 6/4/2022 at 12:11 PM, Bus1883 said:

My best bet is that they need to just send the ones ready to go over to 103rd since they are done. This can easily alleviate overcrowding at SS so they have enough room for incoming deliveries.

Perhaps I am overthinking this slightly, but could it be the reason these buses are not yet in service is because the Authority is short of operators to motor these buses to the intended garages? ?

7 minutes ago, pudgym29 said:

Perhaps I am overthinking this slightly, but could it be the reason these buses are not yet in service is because the Authority is short of operators to motor these buses to the intended garages? ?

I don't think that's the case.  There are buses being retired,  so there's really no fleet increase.  

Besides that,  CTA could easily defer or delay deliveries 

Now there could be a staff shortage st SS fixing buses and prepping the new buses for service.   Between the backlog of repairs for the current fleet, learning, repairing and prepping the Proterras  AND prepping the 8350s for service, SS has its hands full.

11 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I don't think that's the case.  There are buses being retired,  so there's really no fleet increase.  

Now there could be a staff shortage st SS fixing buses and prepping the new buses for service.   Between the backlog of repairs for the current fleet, learning, repairing and prepping the Proterras  AND prepping the 8350s for service, SS has its hands full.

Let me be blunter.

How is an 8350-series bus going to get from South Shops to 103rd St or Forest Glen Garage?

Somebody has to drive it, correct? Whoever is driving that bus is unavailable to operate a bus on a currently-operating Chicago Transit Authority route. Maybe the Authority perceives it would not look good if a regularly-scheduled run went unfilled | unoperated because a potential fill-in operator for it was engaged in driving a bus from South Shops to its intended service garage? ?

1 hour ago, pudgym29 said:

Let me be blunter.

How is an 8350-series bus going to get from South Shops to 103rd St or Forest Glen Garage?

Somebody has to drive it, correct? Whoever is driving that bus is unavailable to operate a bus on a currently-operating Chicago Transit Authority route. Maybe the Authority perceives it would not look good if a regularly-scheduled run went unfilled | unoperated because a potential fill-in operator for it was engaged in driving a bus from South Shops to its intended service garage? ?

I understand what you are saying.  CTA does have hikers that can transfer buses.  If necessary they can give some overtime to p.m. drivers after their scheduled shift to transfer buses.  Most transfers between garages happen late night into the overnight.  Right now. I don't think the shortage is with hikers and drivers as much as it is staff shortage at SS and the high number of buses needing major work.  If I'm not mistaken,  only 3 buses have license plates and might be ready for service IF the Ventra card readers have been installed.  Certainly CTA could move 3 buses..  The travel time between 77th and 103rd is 10 minutes maximum under normal conditions.   Between 77th and 103rd,  in sure CTA can muster 3 drivers.

1 hour ago, pudgym29 said:

Let me be blunter.

Every garage has maintenance hikers for bus transfers that mainly occur during the overnight periods. I work late nights so I see it happen every few days. Whatever returns that don't get picked up by operators from other garages during the pm rush normally get stored for pickups later that evening or for the next day. Once FG and 103rd operators are fully trained we'll see a shift with these buses going into service. It's only a matter of time. Hell just today I saw so much activity at SS with all the #8350s. When #7900-01 pop back up at 103rd it's game over. We'll start seeing the first few #8350s pop up in service.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Don't know what to say. To get 50 buses to 103rd that are new is a major shot in the arm to that fleet. Plus they can send over some high 1000s and 1100s to fg so they can get rid of a few problem buses. They should see less buses needing maintenance from that move. 

From what I'm hearing not even doing the registrations yet is making me wonder when they intend for the buses to hit service. Usually summer pick should have more spares than fall cause they would lose the school runs but all this is a big mystery. They almost need a garage to store new buses. That seems nuts to me.