8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

So the boneyard is pretty much at capacity with an overall mix of buses. #8350s sit among 6800s and 800s while more of kedzie buses have popped up back there. The artic line is at capacity as well. I'm surprised CTA hasnt been able to remove these #4900s and #6000s after all these years. The oldest #6400s should of been gone by now. Outside of that I've counted at least 7-8 #8350s with license plates but no ventra readers. So I don't know if we'll see any run until at least late June but I could be wrong.  The boneyard is just a museum at this point old and new vehicles collecting dust together. Should be considered the new auto show at this point. ???

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

So the boneyard is pretty much at capacity with an overall mix of buses. #8350s sit among 6800s and 800s while more of kedzie buses have popped up back there. The artic line is at capacity as well. I'm surprised CTA hasnt been able to remove these #4900s and #6000s after all these years. The oldest #6400s should of been gone by now. Outside of that I've counted at least 7-8 #8350s with license plates but no ventra readers. So I don't know if we'll see any run until at least late June but I could be wrong.  The boneyard is just a museum at this point old and new vehicles collecting dust together. Should be considered the new auto show at this point. ???

Looking like those 8350s needed that Collision Avoidance System for the Yard!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Meanwhile the rest of the 8350s are wilting in the sun st SS.  You probably can bake a cake or fry eggs inside them. Its so hot I think the A/C will take the next two days off.  The A/C on 8367 didn't get the memo.

Hopefully they are running the buses. We got some new buses and they finally released them in service by me yesterday. We went to start the buses (me and a few others) and 3 of them didn't start. Batteries were dead. I looked on the computer wand we use to sign in and the bus hasn't been drove in 2 months. So I took a different new bus, pretty cool only 700 miles on the bus. Then today I took my assigned bus out 700 again. Not a scratch on it.

On 6/14/2022 at 9:48 PM, BusHunter said:

Hopefully they are running the buses. We got some new buses and they finally released them in service by me yesterday. We went to start the buses (me and a few others) and 3 of them didn't start. Batteries were dead. I looked on the computer wand we use to sign in and the bus hasn't been drove in 2 months. So I took a different new bus, pretty cool only 700 miles on the bus. Then today I took my assigned bus out 700 again. Not a scratch on it.

Dam dawg so you the 8350's starting to hit the streets but since it wouldn't start you just took 700

7 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Dam dawg so you the 8350's starting to hit the streets but since it wouldn't start you just took 700

He works for a private carrier.

He was saying he hoped CTA was at least starting the 8350s and letting the engines run for awhile.   Buses that tend to sit for an extended period of time tend not to start, even new buses.  He was giving an example of that with his company. They just happen to have a bus numbered 700.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

He works for a private carrier.

He was saying he hoped CTA was at least starting the 8350s and letting the engines run for awhile.   Buses that tend to sit for an extended period of time tend not to start, even new buses.  He was giving an example of that with his company. They just happen to have a bus numbered 700.

That was the mileage. Trip from the factory is 700 miles. Our buses are drove in too.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

That sounds low. Google Maps says 894 miles. What tipped me off was that  I used to drive to Rochester, NY, which was 600 miles.

I think the bus he is talking about is an MCI coach.  If it came from St Cloud, MN, that would be about 472 miles.  Also MCI has a sales facility in Des Plaines .

If the bus is a VanHool,  Fairbault, MN, is 400 miles from Chicago.

Earlier this morning, my friend was riding the 92 Foster bus heading west, when he saw 8374 going eastbound on Foster avenue with "Not In Service" displays. He saw it around 6:40 am this morning. It probably is coming from North Park garage, as he saw it on Lincoln (east of North park garage). It's not confirmed if it came from NP garage though.

31 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Earlier this morning, my friend was riding the 92 Foster bus heading west, when he saw 8374 going eastbound on Foster avenue with "Not In Service" displays. He saw it around 6:40 am this morning. It probably is coming from North Park garage, as he saw it on Lincoln (east of North park garage). It's not confirmed if it came from NP garage though.

Could be FG, as 92 is a FG route. On the other hand, you are correct that Foster east of Kedzie is used for pullouts to Berwyn and thereabout.

49 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

It could be a training bus.  While it's not out of the realm of possibility that it came from NP, the more likely scenario is that it came from FG.  The 92 is a FG route and Foster is the closest east west main artery to FG.  

However this raises a question.  The general consensus has been that 103rd would be the first to receive the 8350s.  This sighting may have thrown a wrench into that theory.  At least one of the new buses is running around 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

However this raises a question.  The general consensus has been that 103rd would be the first to receive the 8350s.  This sighting may have thrown a wrench into that theory.  At least one of the new buses is running around 

I'm not sure about the "consensus," as FG still has a couple of 2002 Novas, and whatever is left of 1000-1051 or so. on the other hand, 103 got 8325-8342 or so, and has the next block of 1000s. According to @maths22's tracker, FG has other blocks, including approx. 1352 to 1404, 1554 to 1558, 1584 to 1602, 1627 to 1629. Although I'm sure the people who follow Bus Moves have a better count, this looks like about 80 buses, so FG is not as bad off as what might have been thought.

Not having any inside info, I would bet against C and NP as having the newest buses, C getting the electric buses (and sending some buses elsewhere), and NP still being reliant on artics.

16 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I'm not sure about the "consensus," as FG still has a couple of 2002 Novas, and whatever is left of 1000-1051 or so. on the other hand, 103 got 8325-8342 or so, and has the next block of 1000s. According to @maths22's tracker, FG has other blocks, including approx. 1352 to 1404, 1554 to 1558, 1584 to 1602, 1627 to 1629. Although I'm sure the people who follow Bus Moves have a better count, this looks like about 80 buses, so FG is not as bad off as what might have been thought.

Not having any inside info, I would bet against C and NP as having the newest buses, C getting the electric buses (and sending some buses elsewhere), and NP still being reliant on artics.

FG having the mixed fleet of #1000s is what other garages will eventually start looking like in the future once the next option 500 #8350s gets started. 80 buses does sound about right though give or take a few that will eventually end up on the dead line like #1012, #1935,#6838,#6847,#6871, & #6875. The Fall pick is only 2 months away and with numerous changes coming I'm not even sure at this point what will get moved. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

I'm not even sure at this point what will get moved. 

I should qualify my comment that maybe NP sends out some 1700s and gets some Novas, but I'm not putting betting odds on that.

On the 80 buses, I was only counting the blocks I listed; adding what's left of 1000-1052 would get in the range of 130 NFs, which would be typical for most garages.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

I should qualify my comment that maybe NP sends out some 1700s and gets some Novas, but I'm not putting betting odds on that.

On the 80 buses, I was only counting the blocks I listed; adding what's left of 1000-1052 would get in the range of 130 NFs, which would be typical for most garages.

FG has 1000-1050 1079 1122 1125 1135 1161 1208 1236 1351-1362 1377 1379-1386 1388-1398 1400 1402-1404 1406 1552-1561 1574 1584-1602 1627 1629