8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

• 2 weeks later...

FG is not playing around with these 8350s lol, they’re on every FG route deep. Just this morning saw two 8350s in a row on the 81, an 8350 on the 78 and an 8350 on the 80. On some of these routes bus trackers five runs in a row are all 8350s. I don’t even have to chase an 8350 like I used to do a 7900 or 5000 series train when they first went in service.

1 hour ago, Javi75 said:

FG is not playing around with these 8350s lol, they’re on every FG route deep. Just this morning saw two 8350s in a row on the 81, an 8350 on the 78 and an 8350 on the 80. On some of these routes bus trackers five runs in a row are all 8350s. I don’t even have to chase an 8350 like I used to do a 7900 or 5000 series train when they first went in service.

Trust me if you give up and try not to catch what your are looking for it’ll come to you lol

• 2 weeks later...

8440 is also running a 74th Garage route (#9 Ashland).

8447 and 8448 are at FG, both running night runs on the #77 Belmont.

It looks like the bulk of the first 100 8350s went to FG, with scattered bunches of a few buses going to 103rd, 77th, Chicago and 74th. And since Kedzie also has a few 7900s, it might get a few of what remains in the 8350-8449 batch.

3 hours ago, William Miles said:

I wanted to know when are the cta going to purchase a Nova articulated bus or electric Articulated Bus. Does anyone knows

I explained that when you asked when they are going to buy 900 series buses. The answer is the same. Also read this discussion about the 2023 Capital Program on the articulated bus point.

On 12/4/2022 at 4:53 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

The 4000's was rehabbed it was said a few years ago 

That wasn't questioned. But the point is, they will still need to be replaced at some point during this decade given they hit their FTA eligible retirement age in 2020 and last year. Despite the 4300s being planned for rehab as well, they too will need replacement this decade at the earliest, granted for them it would be late in the decade, because they hit retirement age in 2024 and 2025.

Here's a question that falls within topic. Would fuel cell buses fit CTA's current clean air plans since they also are zero emissions except for water, or are they totally committed to only battery electric buses? Granted an overwhelming majority of current existing fuel cell buses are in China, fuel cell buses would appear to eliminate the infrastructure issue of needing charging stations along the route or at route terminals. New Flyer has developed XHE40s, some of which have been provided to AC Transit. And I believe Champaign-Urbana's MTD has gotten a few XHE60s.

49 minutes ago, jajuan said:

That wasn't questioned. But the point is, they will still need to be replaced at some point during this decade given they hit their FTA eligible retirement age in 2020 and last year. Despite the 4300s being planned for rehab as well, they too will need replacement this decade at the earliest, granted for them it would be late in the decade, because they hit retirement age in 2024 and 2025.

Here's a question that falls within topic. Would fuel cell buses fit CTA's current clean air plans since they also are zero emissions except for water, or are they totally committed to only battery electric buses? Granted an overwhelming majority of current existing fuel cell buses are in China, fuel cell buses would appear to eliminate the infrastructure issue of needing charging stations along the route or at route terminals. New Flyer has developed XHE40s, some of which have been provided to AC Transit. And I believe Champaign-Urbana's MTD has gotten a few XHE60s.

I say buy more diesel buses until this whole electric junk is figured out

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I say buy more diesel buses until this whole electric junk is figured out

Which gets us back to this topic. Apparently CTA is buying 500 more. Doesn't seem enough to replace 1030 buses, but punts the issue to at least 2025.

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea why not buy em 

CTA is buying (at least the first 300, the base of 100 and the first 2 options of 100 each).

The philosophical answer is that the activists want electric now, but the production capacity and adequate electrical grid don't exist.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

CTA is buying (at least the first 300, the base of 100 and the first 2 options of 100 each).

The philosophical answer is that the activists want electric now, but the production capacity and adequate electrical grid don't exist.

Yea they always want some that's not there they need to sit down & chill it be here whenever it does