8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

2 hours ago, Javi75 said:

The only thing I have to get used to is the 8350s not having the front caps that the 7900s have. It reminds me of how that cosmetic difference was between the 4300s and 4333s, except the two novas are separate series altogether. 

Add 8325s those damn Novas confuses the heck out of me thinking it’s an 8350 ?

4 hours ago, Javi75 said:

The only thing I have to get used to is the 8350s not having the front caps that the 7900s have. It reminds me of how that cosmetic difference was between the 4300s and 4333s, except the two novas are separate series altogether. 

Well with the 4300s, it's a really huge difference. There you have two completely different models within the same series. 4300-4332 are DE60LFR hybrid buses and 4334-4399 are D60LFR diesel artics. (4333 was a diesel as well but of course no longer exists because it burned some years ago while operating on one of the North Lake Shore express routes). So the differences there are not just cosmetic. They're also mechanical. With the 7900s and 8350s (I don't count 8325s because they are the extra option on the 7900s order), both series are the same model of bus, namely the 4th generation LFS Smart Bus. The main difference between the 8350s and 7900s outside those used in 8325-8349 is no front caps on the 8350s, and the 8350s having BusTracker monitors that show maps of the buses' positions along with the next stop in place of the red signs announcing the next stop. So here the differences truly are cosmetic. What makes the 8350s a different series is the fact that they could have been Xcelsiors instead of Novas had New Flyer been the lowest bidder on this order, given both manufacturers were equally qualified and federal regulations say that the contract has to go to the lowest bidder when there are equal qualifications between manufacturers.

47 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Well with the 4300s, it's a really huge difference. There you have two completely different models within the same series. 4300-4332 are DE60LFR hybrid buses and 4334-4399 are D60LFR diesel artics. (4333 was a diesel as well but of course no longer exists because it burned some years ago while operating on one of the North Lake Shore express routes). So the differences there are not just cosmetic. They're also mechanical. With the 7900s and 8350s (I don't count 8325s because they are the extra option on the 7900s order), both series are the same model of bus, namely the 4th generation LFS Smart Bus. The main difference between the 8350s and 7900s outside those used in 8325-8349 is no front caps on the 8350s, and the 8350s having BusTracker monitors that show maps of the buses' positions along with the next stop in place of the red signs announcing the next stop. So here the differences truly are cosmetic. What makes the 8350s a different series is the fact that they could have been Xcelsiors instead of Novas had New Flyer been the lowest bidder on this order, given both manufacturers were equally qualified and federal regulations say that the contract has to go to the lowest bidder when there are equal qualifications between manufacturers.

Do you think there would be a trend where the majority of the fleet keeps switching between Nova and NF?

9 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

next bus order NFI could bid a bit lower then nova which i’m really hoping for 

Overall how do bus operators feel about the 1000s? I remember on another thread from when the 1000s first entered service operators had horror stories about the 4400s, 5300s, 5800s and 6000s and ironically there’s horror stories about the 7900s. Would you say that the 1000s are great quality for how abundant the series is. The 1000s are the most interesting bus order and series to me because looking back no one series was ever that big.

13 minutes ago, Javi75 said:

Overall how do bus operators feel about the 1000s? I remember on another thread from when the 1000s first entered service operators had horror stories about the 4400s, 5300s, 5800s and 6000s and ironically there’s horror stories about the 7900s. Would you say that the 1000s are great quality for how abundant the series is. The 1000s are the most interesting bus order and series to me because looking back no one series was ever that big.

I love the #1000s especially the elderly ones we have at 77th although some are really starting to there age,I have a much better time operating them than the #7900s. The amount of time I've had with both series has made me a bit biased though towards the #1000s nonetheless after all these years post-rehab they're still the most agile bus I've operated. Can't say the same for the #4000s though ?.

19 minutes ago, Javi75 said:

My name says it all for me…..

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

You might be right on that, I forgot Chicago Ave is the main P/R showcasing place for CTA.

#8398 is on the #80 according to maths.

Maybe they were saying the first 100 buses have arrived. (Only the readers of this forum and cta insiders know the truth lol) 91 buses

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Javi75 said:

Do you think there would be a trend where the majority of the fleet keeps switching between Nova and NF?

As much as I hate to admit it, because I'm more partial to New Flyer due to my liking the Xcelsior design and the 1000s reminding me of my all-time favorite bus the now long retired MAN Americana 4000s, I'd say we have to wait for CTA to make an RFP for the next electric buses after the 600s given these 8350 series Novas look like they may indeed be CTA's final diesel order for 40-foot standards. Both Nova and New Flyer have been making some inroads with other TAs with electric versions of the LFS and Xcelsior respectively, but BYD and Proterra also have electric buses available. Gillig also has an electric model of the fuel cell variety. Hopefully New Flyer can get it together and be the lowest bidder on an electric order. It's already annoying that the extra electrics outside of the Proterras are more freaking Novas. ?

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I love the #1000s especially the elderly ones we have at 77th although some are really starting to there age,I have a much better time operating them than the #7900s. The amount of time I've had with both series has made me a bit biased though towards the #1000s nonetheless after all these years post-rehab they're still the most agile bus I've operated. Can't say the same for the #4000s though ?.

The 1000s would probably go down as my all time favorite bus series with the 4000 hybrids in close second place. 

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Anybody out south see #8383 in service yet? I updated my in service dates for the #8350s, but when I track #8383 it doesn't say anything. Is it a ghost bus or never in service???

I can't be sure one way or another about #8383. However, it looks as if #8379 is still ghosting. A couple of weeks ago, I spotted #8379 in revenue service on Belmont. As of now, that bus has never appeared on Maths22's tracker. 

6 hours ago, wordguy said:

I can't be sure one way or another about #8383. However, it looks as if #8379 is still ghosting. A couple of weeks ago, I spotted #8379 in revenue service on Belmont. As of now, that bus has never appeared on Maths22's tracker. 

Yeah I think #8356 has some sort of mechanical problem. I don't know if it's ever really been in service saw it only one time at irving pk and Cumberland. Don't know if it was a pullout or what.