Name your favorite express routes!

BUSANGEL#1

I love express service and my favorite route is the #100 Jeffery Manor Express. To me this bus route is the fastest southside route in the city. It is the only express route in the system that actually stops mostly like a local route, and it runs more than just on one main street with a local route. It really stands out on the map and is the only express route serving 95th and the Eastside community.

I love express service and my favorite route is the #100 Jeffery Manor Express. To me this bus route is the fastest southside route in the city. It is the only express route in the system that actually stops mostly like a local route, and it runs more than just on one main street with a local route. It really stands out on the map and is the only express route serving 95th and the Eastside community.

I'll respond to this question by breaking it down this way:

Crosstowns: X9, X49 and X54

Lakeshore: 14, X28, 135, 136 and 147

My favorite crosstown express routes would most definitely be #X80 and #X54. Lake Shore express routes for me would be #146 and #147.

My favorite Crosstown routes would most definitely be #X55 Garfield, #X49 Western- The longest CTA Route, and #X54 Cicero. Lake Shore Express routes for me would be #14 Jeffery- The fastest way to the South Side, #147 Outer Drive- Faster than Purple Line Express to the North side, and #146 Inner Drive when the MAN Americanas(4000s) were around.

Also my favorite Pace Express routes would be #835 Downtown Chicago- Missed that route, #355 Lansing, and #606 Northwest Limited.

They should come up with:

Harlem Express between Harlem/ Higgins Blue Line to Bridgeview Courthouse.

Cermak Express between Cicero to Yorktown Mall.

North Avenue Express from Clark to Northlake.

Well, here's my opinion on it:

• Harlem in Chicago only goes to North Avenue (except for a small portion from 51st to 65th) so that wouldn't work.
  • North Avenue in Chicago only goes to what, Harlem? Going past Harlem wouldn't be that smart for CTA

• #21 Cermak only goes to Riverside Plaza, so #X21 should terminate there as well.

If, by saying "they" you mean Pace, they have suggested 1 and 2. Except for Harlem they have suggested Glenview to Tinley Park. However, that doesn't make sense because the middle of the route is where they are complaining about CTA competition in Pace territory (Grand to North Blvd.).

322-Cermak has traffic signal priority and is proposed for BRT.

I agree that North Ave. is unfeasible, because of narrow streets in the city (previously discussed). and it being Pace territory west of Harlem.

Let's see.....

Crosstown

X49 Western, X9 Ashland, X4 Cottage Grove & 169 69th-UPS Hodgkins

Lake Shore

14 Jeffery, 26 South Shore, 147 Outer Drive, 146 Michigan Express & 6 Jackson Park

Pace Routes

352 Halsted (Express Trips), 355 Lansing, 877/888 Combo, 600 Northwest Express, 606 Northwest Limited & 757 Northwest Connection.

On a side note. Tomorrow (which would be Today, December 14th depending on users reading this post) will be the 9th Anniversary of the implementation of the X49 Western Avenue route. Let this press release refresh everyone's memory.

My favorite Crosstown routes would most definitely be #X55 Garfield, #X49 Western- The longest CTA Route, and #X54 Cicero. Lake Shore Express routes for me would be #14 Jeffery- The fastest way to the South Side, #147 Outer Drive- Faster than Purple Line Express to the North side, and #146 Inner Drive when the MAN Americanas(4000s) were around.

Also my favorite Pace Express routes would be #835 Downtown Chicago- Missed that route, #355 Lansing, and #606 Northwest Limited.

MAN Americanas were good on 147 as well before it became accessible, especially when the 7100s started falling apart and the Americanas took over most of the service. They were great on South Lake Shore as well when there were still the 6 Jeffery Express and 14 South Lake Shore Express.

My favorite express routes were the ones on the southwest side that were discontinued when the Orange Line was created. The 61, 62X, 99, 99M, 162, 164 were my favorite express routes. After these were discontinued, I was a big fan of the 23 and 38, the Green Line substitutes. And after these were discontinued, my favorite became the 33. I recently moved, and now take the 33 to work every morning.

My favorite express routes have to be #6 Jackson Park Express and #145 Wilson/Michigan Express. I like the routes because they are fast and scenic.

I have yet to ride a crosstown express route yet.

If it's one of the crosstowns that operates beyond rush hour times, you'll like when there's no heavy traffic and you get to your destination quicker because you're passing up all the side streets instead of running into a situation of stopping at almost every block.

I also like the #147 mainly because it seems faster to Randolph and Michigan [from the Howard L station] than the Red Line from Howard to Lake.

I also really like #2 Hyde Park Express and #X28 Stony Island Exp. - faster than #6 from Downtown to Stony Island to my house, They need #2 to run more frequently as #6 to avoid the crowd on weeknights and weekends. And #173 Lakeview-Hyde Park Express back in 2005 when they ran weekday late evenings and weekends- it was more conveniently and faster between Hyde Park thru Downtown to Northside.

Guest metralink

Well, here's my opinion on it:
  • Harlem in Chicago only goes to North Avenue (except for a small portion from 51st to 65th) so that wouldn't work.
  • North Avenue in Chicago only goes to what, Harlem? Going past Harlem wouldn't be that smart for CTA

• #21 Cermak only goes to Riverside Plaza, so #X21 should terminate there as well.

Why should the CTA operate in the suburbs? Pace is authorized to operate such routes such as Harlem Ave and Cermak, and North. Just look at their Vision 2020 strategic plan.

My favorite CTA Express routes X80 Irving Park Express

145 Wilson Michigan Express

Pace Express routes 606 Northwest Limited

600 Northwest Express

616 Chancellory Connection/Itasca

An express route that I think would be interesting would be CTA Express bus service from Jefferson Park Sta. to Northwest Transportation Ctr./Schaumburg connecting with Rockford RMTD express bus service from Schaumburg to the Rockford Transit Ctr. Downtown Rockford. RMTD could utilize a leased OTR coach bus from Coach USA or maybe my employer, Colonial Coach Lines. CTA could use a 6000 Flxible assigned from FG.

I think I'll stick to my opinion that the CTA will never put service that far into the suburbs. Also along with the fact that Pace has service designated literaly everywhere in the suburbs between Jefferson Park and Schaumburg.

Of course were talking about CTA management here, of course you would never see an idea like that.

• 3 weeks later...

147 is awesome. I always use it when the Purple Express is not running. It goes all the way from Michigan/Congress to Howard in about 45-50 min. It is perfect when I go to school at Roosevelt University since it is right at Michigan/Congress. The view is way more scenic than the Red Line.

147 is awesome. I always use it when the Purple Express is not running. It goes all the way from Michigan/Congress to Howard in about 45-50 min. It is perfect when I go to school at Roosevelt University since it is right at Michigan/Congress. The view is way more scenic than the Red Line.

well from driving it they definitely are....

X80 Irving Park Express

144 Marine/Michigan Express

145 Wilson/Michigan Express

146 Inner Drive/Michigan Express

148 Clarendon/Michigan

All of my favorite to ride are all the above including X49, 147

Not to get off the subject of express, but of all the routes I've driven from North Park and Forest Glen, I definitely like the following (including the above): #22, #56 (late at nite only), #56A, #68, #81 (nite cars), #81W, #84, #85A, #90N, #96, #97, #X98,1 #151 (the Belmont/Halsted trips were the best), #201 (nite cars), #206

• 13 years later...