6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

On 1/24/2022 at 7:38 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

They are crying about them at FG but dead ass it's really the only buses that a get up & run without a issue

Well they do have good ac. Hopefully these new buses they are getting have good ac. The proterras do. For the most part they are retired. Dont know why cta continues to maintain them. Im starting to wonder if this chip shortage is going to affect the 8350 order. That would explain why these buses are hanging around. Its really mind blowing passing south shops and seeing all the new proterras just sitting there. Seems like lately only a couple proterras run. #605 was out yesterday in the cold. I was saying the cold affects the electrics. Would be interesting to hear how the canadians electrics are holding up. 

31 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well they do have good ac. Hopefully these new buses they are getting have good ac. The proterras do. For the most part they are retired. Dont know why cta continues to maintain them. Im starting to wonder if this chip shortage is going to affect the 8350 order. That would explain why these buses are hanging around. Its really mind blowing passing south shops and seeing all the new proterras just sitting there. Seems like lately only a couple proterras run. #605 was out yesterday in the cold. I was saying the cold affects the electrics. Would be interesting to hear how the canadians electrics are holding up. 

At this point, the outside a/c is working overtime.  Temp 7°.

One of my main gripes with the 7900s was the terrible a/c.  Who knows if the 8350s will be any better?

The 6400s a/c works great.  That comes in handy when they break down. Except if the engine shuts down.

People are diving head first into electric buses.  Currently electricity is somewhat affordable,  but when demand increases,  the cost of electricity will skyrocket.   We will pY way more for electricity than the $5 a gallon for gas we pay now.   I've never seen gas at $3.30 a gallon in January.

I think transit agencies should watch California and keep diesel and alternative cuels as open options put 2040 and see how California responds. 

46 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

At this point, the outside a/c is working overtime.  Temp 7°.

One of my main gripes with the 7900s was the terrible a/c.  Who knows if the 8350s will be any better?

The 6400s a/c works great.  That comes in handy when they break down. Except if the engine shuts down.

People are diving head first into electric buses.  Currently electricity is somewhat affordable,  but when demand increases,  the cost of electricity will skyrocket.   We will pY way more for electricity than the $5 a gallon for gas we pay now.   I've never seen gas at $3.30 a gallon in January.

I think transit agencies should watch California and keep diesel and alternative cuels as open options put 2040 and see how California responds. 

When the Feds give you 75 billion you kinda gotta do what they say. I’m not sure why they are so aggressive with the move to all electric. But I’m sure it has a lot to do with someone’s stock portfolio. 

1 hour ago, NovaHater said:

When the Feds give you 75 billion you kinda gotta do what they say. I’m not sure why they are so aggressive with the move to all electric. But I’m sure it has a lot to do with someone’s stock portfolio. 

The light bulb question is, why order 600 new diesel buses if we need to go all  fully electric by 2040? My million dollar idea is they should of put that in the contract for 600 new electric nova buses. The CTA's goal is to retire the #8350's years away from 2040 but it makes sense for the main goal for us to start packing our bags to go all electric now.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah I passed by there once again Monday morning and they are still sitting in the same spot. All the Proterras have been delivered and should already be in service by now. I hope to god the #8350's have good AC that way we can have a nice summer riding them.

7 minutes ago, Bus1883 said:

The light bulb question is, why order 600 new diesel buses if we need to go all  fully electric by 2040? My million dollar idea is they should of put that in the contract for 600 new electric nova buses. The CTA's goal is to retire the #8350's years away from 2040 but it makes sense for the main goal for us to start packing our bags to go all electric now.

The technology is still relatively new.   The 700 series stays in the shop more than in the streets.   Same for the 600 series Proterras.   CTA can't afford to order 500 electrics now when they can't run 5 electrics consistently. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

The 600's are junk they stay in & out of the shop while the whole testing

41 minutes ago, Bus1883 said:

This has been answered at every CTA and Pace board meeting in the past 6 months--there isn't enough capacity to fulfill such an order.

43 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The technology is still relatively new.   The 700 series stays in the shop more than in the streets.   Same for the 600 series Proterras.   CTA can't afford to order 500 electrics now when they can't run 5 electrics consistently. 

Same thing I said they are junk when they was testing & even when they came into play they was in the shop more then on the streets

12 minutes ago, Busjack said:

This has been answered at every CTA and Pace board meeting in the past 6 months--there isn't enough capacity to fulfill such an order.

Which they won't be retired by then cta love running buses till they cant no more like with the 5300 & 6000 if it wasnt for the dooms they they would have ran the 5300's still like 11-12 & the 60's till like 13-14

1 hour ago, Bus1883 said:

I totally agree 

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Which they won't be retired by then cta love running buses till they cant no more like with the 5300 & 6000 if it wasnt for the dooms they they would have ran the 5300's still like 11-12 & the 60's till like 13-14

Part of the grant application for the CMAQ funds was that the electric buses would replace polluting buses acquired in 2000-2002. At the time I said they were goofing with the feds, but now I guess not.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Part of the grant application for the CMAQ funds was that the electric buses would replace polluting buses acquired in 2000-2002. At the time I said they were goofing with the feds, but now I guess not.

But you forget Busjack, these are clean diesels lol!! Since when is a diesel engine running clean. Talk about an oxymoron. 

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Couldnt have said it better my friend. A 500 electric order is unheard of just due to the cost. You are talking upwards of a billion dollar contract. Well maybe 600 million. The only contracts that size are ike rpm or a new rail extension or line. I think the biggest electric bus contract I heard was out in cali. I believe it was a 130 bus order from proterra. Unfortunately might take them to 2040 to receive the order. Lol I dont know how you would get 1800 buses built that are electric that fast. Then the 9 year service life makes one wonder are they worth the expense. Cta would probably have to buy 3000 electrics just to maintain a fleet of 1800 because in nine years the ones they bought would have to be replaced. Its like buying buses twice as much. Good luck cta running electrics for 20 years!!

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

This is just another political stunt by the crooked ass local & fed to control things

Updated as of 2/1:

6675 - 8/10 (last ran on the 34)

6681 - 8/23 (last ran on the 95)

6686 - 8/10 (last ran on the 29) possibly broke down

6691 - 8/6 (last ran on the 76)

6755 - 5/20 (last ran on the 152?)

6837 - 1/24 (last ran on the 85)

6838 - 1/20 (last ran on the 206)

6843 - 1/27 (last ran on the 206)

6846 - 1/27 (last ran on the 206)

6847 - 1/26 (last ran on the 152)

6849 - 1/27 (last ran on the 152)

6858 - 1/26 (last ran on the 91)

6859 - 1/14 (last ran on the 76)

6861 - 1/26 (last ran on the 152)

6865 - 1/24 (last ran on the 78) possibly broke down

6867 - 1/26 (last ran on the 152)

6869 - 1/24 (last ran on the 54A)

6870 - 1/26 (last ran on the 152)

6871 - 1/17 (last ran on the 84)

6875 - 1/27 (last ran on the 91)

6877 - 1/20 (last ran on the 84)

6882 - 8/28 (last ran on the 111A)

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I got some clarification on the other 6400s sitting at other garages throughout the system. There main purpose at this point is serving as staging buses for major events, similar scenario to when those 6 #6000s were saved and used for certain events. Minus the 6700s at 77th the rest are in running condition for the most part. 

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

So I got some clarification on the other 6400s sitting at other garages throughout the system. There main purpose at this point is serving as staging buses for major events, similar scenario to when those 6 #6000s were saved and used for certain events. Minus the 6700s at 77th the rest are in running condition for the most part. 

yea this confirms #6400’s are done with 

Not here at FG, they’re back for good (for now)!

683884: Peterson84 -457F (Forest Glen)

6846152: Addison152 -456F (Forest Glen)

684785: Central85 -452F (Forest Glen)

686184: Peterson84 -454F (Forest Glen)

686968: Northwest Highway88 -451F (Forest Glen)

687086: Narragansett/Ridgeland76 -458F (Forest Glen)

687577: Belmont77 -457F (Forest Glen)

687785: Central85 -455F (Forest Glen)

25 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Not here at FG, they’re back for good (for now)!

683884: Peterson84 -457F (Forest Glen)

6846152: Addison152 -456F (Forest Glen)

684785: Central85 -452F (Forest Glen)

686184: Peterson84 -454F (Forest Glen)

686968: Northwest Highway88 -451F (Forest Glen)

687086: Narragansett/Ridgeland76 -458F (Forest Glen)

687577: Belmont77 -457F (Forest Glen)

687785: Central85 -455F (Forest Glen)

all school trippers