6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

Here is what a bunch of you have awaited. At least one afternoon operator on route #77 Belmont has been pulling a 6400-series Nova bus out for runs.

I was unable to board this bus (which was bunching with #1036), but caught up with it at the Kimball Blue Line “L” station.

do.php?img=237
do.php?img=239do.php?img=240

do.php?img=238

Edited by pudgym29
thumbnails not appearing

49 minutes ago, pudgym29 said:

Here is what a bunch of you have awaited. At least one afternoon operator on route #77 Belmont has been pulling a 6400-series Nova bus out for runs.

I was unable to board this bus (which was bunching with #1036), but caught up with it at the Kimball Blue Line “L” station.

do.php?img=237
do.php?img=239do.php?img=240

do.php?img=238

he probably has one of these today

6859: 77 Belmont 77-459 F (Forest Glen)

6865: 77 Belmont 77-457 F (Forest Glen)

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

And guess what rolled past me on Peterson in what is likely one of its last runs in revenue service now that the 8350s in FG have started service. None other than 6846:

IMG_20220721_181908910_HDR.thumb.jpg.f0abeb1763b06fb2f5e520268ded7588.jpg

Funny how no matter that things change, things remain the same.   When I was younger,  most drivers including myself wanted to drive the newer or newest equipment.  The old equipment always had broken a/c or some other issue.  As time went on and the equipment got fancier  I started longing for the days when it was easy to start a bus, turn in lights, etc.  Nowadays buses are computers and the so called switches now have symbols instead of words.  The driver's area looks more like a cockpit, especially on motorcoaches.

It looks like driver's are trying to all get 6400s to drive now that they are going away.   But not to fret, Novas aren't going away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Funny how no matter that things change, things remain the same.   When I was younger,  most drivers including myself wanted to drive the newer or newest equipment.  The old equipment always had broken a/c or some other issue.  As time went on and the equipment got fancier  I started longing for the days when it was easy to start a bus, turn in lights, etc.  Nowadays buses are computers and the so called switches now have symbols instead of words.  The driver's area looks more like a cockpit, especially on motorcoaches.

It looks like driver's are trying to all get 6400s to drive now that they are going away.   But not to fret, Novas aren't going away.

I most def wish that K was running the 6400's we have I haven't drove one since what late 2020 or early 21 when I drove 6710 on the 18 & a few other routes

20 hours ago, jajuan said:

And guess what rolled past me on Peterson in what is likely one of its last runs in revenue service now that the 8350s in FG have started service. None other than 6846:

19 hours ago, FG6834 said:

6849 was at Old Orchard not too long ago.

I drove through Edgebrook yesterday and one would have thought that 6800s were predominant: 2 going in and out of the Central/Caldwell loop and another northbound on Central at Devon with a 54A Cicero/Skokie Courthouse sign. Since it wasn't on Cicero, I wonder if it was deadheading to where @FG6834 saw one.

17 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It's definitely funny how after the newest Novas finally made their debut, we see the remaining 6400s in more places at one time than we probably have in weeks 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, jajuan said:

It's definitely funny how after the newest Novas finally made their debut, we see the remaining 6400s in more places at one time than we probably have in weeks 

I wish I could have one last crack at the ones we have at 77th I'm tired of these #7900s they're in worst shape than the #1000s.

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

What makes you think the 6400s aren't worse?

The wear and tear the last 45-50 have gone through since 2019 has been so minimal one could argue the remaining #6700 & #6800s are the best kept thing hidden in the entire fleet. Especially since only 10 of the last 45-50 have been active for the PM rush. Little have I heard of these buses breaking down during that time period outside of the usual suspect being 6871.

8 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Alot of the 6400's are still in good shape they was one of the last real built buses before going over to this cheap Chinese plastic that they build now 

Not only that but the suspension has held up well even during the 18-20 years they've been in service. All the bad apples are in the boneyard now so it's really easy to maintain such a small fleet like that. I wish the spare ratio played a role for the other garages outside of NP and 103rd that actually decided to use them last year.

38 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Not only that but the suspension has held up well even during the 18-20 years they've been in service. All the bad apples are in the boneyard now so it's really easy to maintain such a small fleet like that. I wish the spare ratio played a role for the other garages outside of NP and 103rd that actually decided to use them last year.

Exactly shit I wish they run them again at k I'll take one in a heartbeat but it's gone be hard to start half of them cause most haven't read since being parked last what March or April 

• 3 weeks later...

I am wondering if the Illinois Railway Museum wants a 6400-series bus for their bus collection. The 6400-series is historically significant because they were the CTA’s first large order of low-floor buses (making it easier for seniors and people with disabilities to board). The museum could get one of the last few that are in service right now, or they could get one that is retired, but is in good condition.

Has the CTA stopped doing repairs on the 6400-series buses? I was on 6869 on route 80 yesterday and the destination signs are broken (they say “Not In Service”), the run number sign is broken, the display at the front of the bus that is supposed to show the next stop is broken, and the interior lights don’t work. Perhaps, the CTA is not going to repair 6869 because the 8350-series buses have started service and 6869 (and the other remaining 6400-series buses) will be retired very soon. Also, it sounds like that August 22nd (the Fall pick) is a significant date for the CTA. If so, will August 19th (next Friday) be the final day of service for the 6400-series buses?  

63325EDA-301A-49DF-A8D0-693861AD267E.jpeg

376E2146-F1F1-4B8B-A1BB-297B44D581EA.jpeg

838B12E4-2337-45F6-A95A-3DCCE63741EE.jpeg

9B869B5B-D8BD-40B2-B060-FF1F58089810.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Rhys Pate said:

Has the CTA stopped doing repairs on the 6400-series buses? I was on 6869 on route 80 yesterday and the destination signs are broken (they say “Not In Service”), the run number sign is broken, the display at the front of the bus that is supposed to show the next stop is broken, and the interior lights don’t work. Perhaps, the CTA is not going to repair 6869 because the 8350-series buses have started service and 6869 (and the other remaining 6400-series buses) will be retired very soon. Also, it sounds like that August 22nd (the Fall pick) is a significant date for the CTA. If so, will August 19th (next Friday) be the final day of service for the 6400-series buses?  

63325EDA-301A-49DF-A8D0-693861AD267E.jpeg

376E2146-F1F1-4B8B-A1BB-297B44D581EA.jpeg

838B12E4-2337-45F6-A95A-3DCCE63741EE.jpeg

9B869B5B-D8BD-40B2-B060-FF1F58089810.jpeg

CTA can retire these now, now that there are a few more than 10 #8350’s running that should be enough to knock of the #6400’s that are left in service, I remember three years ago #6706’s sign was always stuck on “85 Central” whenever it ran a different route until they’ve fixed it. #6858 says Not In Service as well as the run number box is broken.