More Bus Moves

sw4400

Im sure the person who ran their vehicle into that bus was dialing the number even before fire/paramedics arrived! He figured "Heyyyy!!!! I need a check!!!" "Lets see!!! Oh, that CTA bus looks like a good way to get paid!!!" LOL! :) That commercial is so annoying!!! LOL! :)

The 312 6 million commercial has a billboard with a plug. Another one has the stick victim pull out a cellphone with the number on speed dial.

But supposedly CTA toughened up its litigation stance about 10 years ago, although it no longer has the "notice of claim" statute to fall back on.

Anyway, unless the bus was in reverse, it is pretty hard to blame CTA when someone else rear ended it, as the presumption is that the follower is supposed to keep an adequate following distance.

Since this thread is "Random CTA", I'm curious to know when North Shore Interurbans ever operated on the South Side "L" south of Roosevelt Road (generally the terminus for North Shore trains):

photo-chicago-elevated-structure-indiana

PHOTO - CHICAGO - ELEVATED STRUCTURE - INDIANA AVE - NORTH SHORE

This is definitely Indiana & 40th Street. Judging from the fact this photo is in color, I'm guessing that it was taken in the late 40s or early 50s, maybe? Could it possibly have been a fan trip? It's just unusual to see this train on this stretch of the North/South mainline.

• Upvote 1

Since this thread is "Random CTA", I'm curious to know when North Shore Interurbans ever operated on the South Side "L" south of Roosevelt Road (generally the terminus for North Shore trains):

This is definitely Indiana & 40th Street. Judging from the fact this photo is in color, I'm guessing that it was taken in the late 40s or early 50s, maybe? Could it possibly have been a fan trip? It's just unusual to see this train on this stretch of the North/South mainline.

It could have been a special event, the North Shore Line cars were used for extra capacity.

I remember reading, that for the World Eucharist Conference in Mundelein, about 1925, they attached Chicago Rapid Transit Co. cars to the back of the North Shore Line cars to go up to Mundelein for the extra capacity.

I would have thought a fan trip on the South Side would've used the Electroliners.

And I can see the enclosed water tower of the former Kimball Manufacturing Company at Pershing & Michigan at the right.

Kimball made the wooden frames for Ford Model Ts & the Ford plant was next door, where the fire station is now.

It could have been a special event, the North Shore Line cars were used for extra capacity.

I remember reading, that for the World Eucharist Conference in Mundelein, about 1925, they attached Chicago Rapid Transit Co. cars to the back of the North Shore Line cars to go up to Mundelein for the extra capacity.

I would have thought a fan trip on the South Side would've used the Electroliners.

And I can see the enclosed water tower of the former Kimball Manufacturing Company at Pershing & Michigan at the right.

Kimball made the wooden frames for Ford Model Ts & the Ford plant was next door, where the fire station is now.

Sounds like a pretty good explanation. But look at this secondary shot:

photo-chicago-elevated-structure-aerial-

Do you see the 6200-6400 series? So, this ain't 1925. Now, I'm really curious. Maybe some more answers will be posted. By the way, I just happened to see this second photo by pure chance.

• Upvote 1

It would have to be in the 50's because I believe the green roofs scheme was replaced with the alpine white and hunter green scheme in the 60's. Unless this was a #6000 that had not yet been repainted, but by the clothes people are wearing I'd say the 50's.

From 1922 to 1938 the North Shore operated through to Jackson Park terminal at Stony Island and 63rd.

• Upvote 1

It would have to be in the 50's because I believe the green roofs scheme was replaced with the alpine white and hunter green scheme in the 60's. Unless this was a #6000 that had not yet been repainted, but by the clothes people are wearing I'd say the 50's.

Yeah, your right. Now that I really look at the secondary photo, it looks like between 1955 & 1959; the North Shore trains were still running at least until 1961-62.

It does not. It hasn't had those in a long time. The only short-turns we have now are the AM rush hour runs that short-turn at Logan Square after coming from the Nature Museum, PM runs that begin at Logan Square going to the Nature Museum and the late night runs that go to Logan Square after departing from the Neva bus terminal.

I remember when I was at chicago 2 system picks ago we short turned at Logan square which was very smart so passengers can connect to the blue line

Sounds like a pretty good explanation. But look at this secondary shot:

photo-chicago-elevated-structure-aerial-

Do you see the 6200-6400 series? So, this ain't 1925. Now, I'm really curious. Maybe some more answers will be posted. By the way, I just happened to see this second photo by pure chance.

That's the very wide Indiana platform I remember from the early 1960s.

When the South Side Mainline was rebuilt into the Green Line, I just can't figure out why they went up so high to go over the abandoned rail line [Chicago Junction?] that connected the IC to the Stockyards & why they didn't rebuild Indiana as a center island platform.

That's the very wide Indiana platform I remember from the early 1960s.

When the South Side Mainline was rebuilt into the Green Line, I just can't figure out why they went up so high to go over the abandoned rail line [Chicago Junction?] that connected the IC to the Stockyards & why they didn't rebuild Indiana as a center island platform.

Because it, like the current Blue Line one turned out to be a cheap overhaul. The only differences were that they shut it down for a protracted period and they did make some (but not all) stations accessible. But they certainly did not do as they did on the Pink Line.

Anyone able to get any insight on the bus model involved in this fire? Was it another 4333-Series D60LFR or another bus model that was out of service and deadheading on the Dan Ryan on it's way to begin a route?

Story

If...... if it is another 4333-Series D60LFR, would that just be coincidence or some design/mechanical flaw in the buses?

Anyone able to get any insight on the bus model involved in this fire? Was it another 4333-Series D60LFR or another bus model that was out of service and deadheading on the Dan Ryan on it's way to begin a route?

Story

If...... if it is another 4333-Series D60LFR, would that just be coincidence or some design/mechanical flaw in the buses?

No, that was #6813. It's most likely that it will be retired.

Story

No, that was #6813. It's most likely that it will be retired.

Scary thought if it was though...

#6827 was on route 71 again this morning, now the question is why? I know 103rd isn't short buses so what is a 74th nova doing @103rd? It could be a possible loan but for nearly a week and a half? :blink::blink::blink:

The thing is I think we are short of buses. That's what happened the last time we were short 74th sent Novas over to help with morning rush hour a yr ago.But they were sent back to 74th after morning rush hour, shoot I hope we do get a few Novas I would love that lol.

#6827 was on route 71 again this morning, now the question is why? I know 103rd isn't short buses so what is a 74th nova doing @103rd? It could be a possible loan but for nearly a week and a half? :blink::blink::blink:

The thing is I think we are short of buses. That's what happened the last time we were short 74th sent Novas over to help with morning rush hour a yr ago.But they were sent back to 74th after morning rush hour, shoot I hope we do get a few Novas I would love that lol.

Why is 74th sending Nova's? There is a much closer, 77th, with more buses and I'm sure 103rd wouldn't mind a shiny new Nova instead of the moving definition of perseverance.

Why is 74th sending Nova's? There is a much closer, 77th, with more buses and I'm sure 103rd wouldn't mind a shiny new Nova instead of the moving definition of perseverance.

Are you kidding!! 77th is not going to loan out new buses just like 74th's not going to loan out new buses unless it was an emergency. I surprised they didn't loan them #6400's as that's scraping the bottom of the barrel at 74th and they really don't need those buses anyway.

Are you kidding!! 77th is not going to loan out new buses just like 74th's not going to loan out new buses unless it was an emergency. I surprised they didn't loan them #6400's as that's scraping the bottom of the barrel at 74th and they really don't need those buses anyway.

True. They don't need the buses loaned out, not with a little over 30 Nova Smart buses now officially in service down there.

Well, that is a loan, from a closer garage, which the main thing that I was wondering that wasn't happening. However, this also begs the question as to why 103rd is short on buses (temporarily).

Well when 103rd keeps passing out newly rehabbed buses to the north side then they would get short.